It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

Mvhrt HB User
Epidurel question

Hi, I have a question about epidurals for labor. I had a different version with all three of my sons it was the one where they just give you a shot in the back and it lasts about 2 hours... I hear there is another form that they leave in... Does this one work better as far as taking the pain away goes? And do they have to use a cathiter (sp) when they do it that way? I'm not one for natural childbirth i'd like all the help i can get to deal with the pain because as i remember it... it hurts like mad!
I'm just five months along now as of today... but i can't help but think about labor/birth well basically since i found out i was pregnant because of the trauma i suffered the last time around... I worry myself sick about it and am trying to find ways to help deal with it in my mind such as there are better ways of taking away the pain.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
(female)

magicmomof4 HB User
Re: Epidurel question

With each of my children's births, I had the kind of epidural that they leave in. That way if you need more medication, they can just give it to you. I had very good experiences with this, and will do it again with this pregnancy. I had very little pain with my prior births. I hope this helps...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

I had one of these also. The initial shot lasted about 2 hours and then began to wear off, and the injected more into the tube. The only problem I really had was it wasnt directed in the exact spot in my spine so when I had the top ups it only took effect on one side of my body. I did have to have a cathiter, and I delivered at 7pm and they didnt remove it till the following day.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

I had my DS this June---he's my first child and I was terrified of the pain of labor/childbirth and getting the epidural---the one with the catheter. As for it relieving pain and discomfort---it worked like a charm. I did have to call the anesthesiologist back in several times to top it off when the contractions progressively got worse---the most I had to wait for him to come back was 15 minutes or so----not too bad---but once he topped it off---Ahhh pure bliss. I did have to switch laying from my right side to my left side and vice versa every hour or so---because the medicine tends to settle on one side more than the other---it's normal. So if you start to feel less numb on one side, just switch to laying on the other side---but not flat on your back. Don't be afraid to ask for more medicine---that's what they're there for! When it came time for pushing, my doctor let up on the epidural anesthesia just a little bit---so I was able to feel VERY minor slight contractions so I could push more effectively---those minor contractions were extremely bearable! I pushed my baby out in 1 hour---which went by so fast!

Good Luck and Congrats! It will be OK

Closed Thread