It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User
Rh negative?

Hi everyone.. I'm 8 weeks along, and my dr told me that my blood is Rh negative. He's a pretty laid back guy and never seems too concerned about anything.. I was just wondering how serious this really is? He just told me that I'll need a shot of Rhogam at around 26 weeks and at delivery.
If anyone has anymore detailed information about this, or is Rh negative as well I'd really appreciate some extra knowledge! Thank you!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
(female)

Sun Flower HB User
Re: Rh negative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDestroyMe
Hi everyone.. I'm 8 weeks along, and my dr told me that my blood is Rh negative. He's a pretty laid back guy and never seems too concerned about anything.. I was just wondering how serious this really is? He just told me that I'll need a shot of Rhogam at around 26 weeks and at delivery.
If anyone has anymore detailed information about this, or is Rh negative as well I'd really appreciate some extra knowledge! Thank you!

I am RH negative also. I have three healthy children and never had any problems, but of course I had my Rhogram shot every time. Anyway here is a little information that will help you understand.

If an Rh-negative woman and an Rh-positive man conceive a child together, the fetus' Rh factor will be positive or negative, with no harm to an Rh-negative baby and most likely no harm to a Rh-positive baby. However, if the baby's Rh factor is positive, during delivery the fetus' Rh-positive blood cells may enter the mother's bloodstream. In very rare situations, this can happen during pregnancy. Since an Rh-negative mother's bloodstream does not contain the Rh factor, her body will produce antibodies to fight off the foreign red blood cells, thus threatening the red blood cells of future unborn children.

An injection of Rh immunoglobulin given to the mother during the 28th week of pregnancy can usually prevent harm to a developing fetus. This injection is commonly known as a Rhogam injection. If the baby is born with an Rh-positive factor, the mother will receive a second injection within 72 hours after birth to protect the next baby.

As long as you recieve your Rhogram shot you should not have any problems.

Sun Flower

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User

Wow, thank you! That was very helpful. I guess hearing something like that for the first time is just a bit frightening.
Thank you!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

Don't worry, it just involves a shot in the second half of your pregnancy. Millions of women are in the same boat.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

I'm also rh negative and have had three rh positive babies with no problem involving the rh factor.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User

I'm "A-" also!! Just had my Rh shot a few days ago due to some uneplained spotting. Got it right in the butt cheek haha. Not so bad, certainly worth it in the long run. I was 25w5d, and will have another one at birth if the child is positive.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User

Wow, i'm B negative. My doctor told me that only about 2% of people have negative blood types.. I was so surprised that I fell into that percentage because I didn't know my blood type before that!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User

Wow, i'm B negative. My doctor told me that only about 2% of people have negative blood types.. I was so surprised that I fell into that percentage because I didn't know my blood type before that!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Re: Rh negative?

I am O negative and I also had the shot. If your baby comes out with a positive blood type, you will recieve a shot a day or two after delivery as well. If you have any future pregnancies or miscarriages you will also require that shot as well. The reason is because our blood is more pure and is different from those who have a positive blood type. When our bodies come in contact with positive blood in side of us, it acts as if it is foreign and tries to fight it off, so if you do not recieve a shot and your next baby has positive for example your body may try to fight the baby and possibly abort it, basically.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Flower
I am RH negative also. I have three healthy children and never had any problems, but of course I had my Rhogram shot every time.

Sun Flower
You are absolutely right, however, there is another side to this story. It is possible, though very unlikely that someone NEVER exposed to + blood can get sensitized to the blood before or during a FIRST pregnancy. In this case the baby can become very ill. This only happens to about 4K women in the US every year, but it can happen. If my baby had been born 15 years ago he would have been severely brain damaged. My ped, who has been practicing for over 35 years said my baby had the worst case he had ever seen. At some point your doc should do a RH sensetization test ( you may not even know you are having it done as it is a simple blood test that they just tack on with every other blood test you're having these days). But ask and make sure they are doing it...it could save your babies life.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
(female)

pradasweets1983 HB User

Unfortunatly I know of Rh- negative blood very well. I have had 2 m/c. My first one I was out of town in my home Boston and didn't even know I was preg till I started to m/c. That was in Oct of 2005.I was on the BC patch so it came as a surprise.My sis in-law, a doctor, but not nessisarily mine, told me and I wish I hadn't listened that i would be okay if I didn't go to the doctor...and so...I didn't I expelled everything naturally. Then in April I got off the patch to for real try for a baby and got pregnant immediatly there after. I was excited...we thought for sure that baby would come through...my first apt was scheduled for me at 10wks. I never got to go in to that first appt because at 6 1/2 weeks I m/c yet again on june12th out of the blue.I went in and they ran all kind of tests...for my blood, to see what might have caused it. The next day my doc called me and told me that the blood came back that I was Rh- and that I needed to get the shot immediatly because my husband is Rh+. He said that the reason this last baby died was because I never went in and recieved a shot after my first m/c...and the antibodies my body created that time didn't give this last baby a chance. I could've kick myself for listening to my sis-in-law.

I really hope that the reason I had the other m/c was because I was Rh- and never recieved the Rhogam shot because I am 8 wks pregnant again and sick as a dog and hope that this one comes through. I think that you only face a problem if the baby is positive. I am not sure what the husband has to do with it but I think something like he might determine what blood type the baby is...but not sure at that because the doc made a big deal of what blood type he had.

Good luck to all. It is scary. I had never even heard of Rh- blood before I found out I had it. I did a lot of research and found a lot of good stuff online.

----Jess

Old 08-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradasweets1983
I think that you only face a problem if the baby is positive. I am not sure what the husband has to do with it but I think something like he might determine what blood type the baby is...but not sure at that because the doc made a big deal of what blood type he had.
As far as I know, it can only potentially cause problems if the baby has a positive blood type, but if you're Rh negative, you've got to get the shot anyway because obviously, you don't know what blood type the baby will have until it's born. UNLESS the father also is Rh negative, then it's a guarantee that the baby will also have a negative blood type. The father alone doesn't determine the blood type, but just like with anything else (hair color, eye color, etc), he does have a hand in it.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
(female)

jones2 HB User

I know a good bit about the Rhogram shot because my sister-in-law had it and I will most likely have it when I become pregnant because I am O- so I have been researching it ahead of time. Remember that most companies make it with thermasol (mercury). However, there is a pharmaceutical company (Bayer) that doesn't. I would try my best to make sure you get that one. Too much negative imformation on mercury! Just a suggestion My sister-in-law demanded it.

Closed Thread