It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User
Natural vs. Epidural?

Hi, I'm just very curious.. Do many women give birth without using anything like an epidural? I'm pregnant with my first child and I want to give birth natural.. but when I try to research it it doesnt seem like many women really go that route. Has anyone on here given birth naturally without epidural? I'm super curious!
Thank you!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
(female)

Aleisha's_mom HB User
Re: Natural vs. Epidural?

I was able to go natural with the birth of my daughter. It was something I had decided I was going to do before I was even pregnant. I also plan on doing it again with any of our future pregnancies. I was more afraid to have a needle in my back than I was of going through labour, I had a fairly easy labour, 12 hours in total and only 5 hours of real hard labour. The worst for me was the 3 straight hours of pushing...... but I survived, and will do it again. As soon as you have your little one in your arms, the pain you experienced all goes away. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Oh yeah, a major helper for me was taking prenatal classes. I knew exactly what to expect and learned some very valuable techniques to use during labour.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User

Yes, I decided i wanted to go natural before I became pregnant as well.. and just like you, I'm more afraid of the shot than the birth pain! I guess I'm just getting nervous, i'm always watching those child birth shows on tv and it looks SO painful!

Old 08-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

heathy_mama HB User

i always figured that once you are in that much pain that the pain of a needle that size wouldn't scare you as much since you're already in agony? hmm, i guess its best to go natural if you can handle it tho..

Old 08-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

The healthiest way for you and baby is natural, the easiest for you is epi. I guess it just depends on your resolve and how you feel going into it. I believe it can be done! I went through 23 hours of pitocin induced hard labor without any pain meds..... And I'm such a wuss! lol Around 3am I had AWEFUL back labor, I took a shower and just stayed on my hands and knees on the floor so the hot water hit my lower back. When I got out, DH got one of those firm squish pillows and pushed that into my back really hard and kinda massaged it.. Helped with some of the pain..

Last edited by soon2bmommy; 08-14-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
(female)

oohjo56 HB User

I guess it all depends what kind of labor you go through. When I had my first daughter, I said there was no way that they were going to stick a needle in my spine, until the labor, very hard back labor, hit. The nurse advised me that she had 2 others in labor with an epidural and they were loving it. She didn't have to tell me twice. With my second daughter, I had an epidural after 3 days of being in labor and 3 hours of hard contractions. Now I'm pregnant with my third and I plan on having an epidural as well. If you are strong enough to go through it naturally, I commend you greatly!! I wish I had that willpower, but I'm a wussy when it comes to pain.

Jo
EDD 4/4/07 #3

Old 08-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
(female)

mum2three HB User

This is a very personal thing. I went natural with first 2, but towards the end of my labor with my second I wanted something and it was to late. If it wasn't I would have taken whatever they offered. I am keeping a very open mind this time.I will labor as long as I can (just not to long to where I don't have the option), and if I need it will get the epidural.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

I saw a show on TV tonight about natural births and they said just 10% of American women manage to give birth naturally, although far more intend to before they actually go into labour.
Myself, I'm just going to wait and see, but I don't intend to go through a lot of unnecessary pain. If things get tough, I'll be asking for the epidural and I won't feel like any less of a woman.
Good luck, either way!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm in the same boat.. I'll try my best but if it becomes too much to handle I'll ask for an epidural.. I guess I'm just paranoid, I've heard scarey things about them. But there are always risks with everything I suppose!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Smile Re: Natural vs. Epidural?

I had my daughter completely naturally four months ago. I made this decision when I became pregnant. Our bodies were made to have babies and I don't believe in interfering with that process because it hurts, or a doctor wants to hurry along the process. The most healthiest and most beneficial way to go is natural.

You are right, a little over 90% of women choose an epidural which in my mind is very, very sad. Those drugs effect the baby and the woman. Many people will quickly retort with, "Well, nothing was wrong with my baby and I am okay!" Well, that isn't always true for everyone, and some women don't even realize the effects the drugs have made to them or their baby.

I set myself up for success by telling everyone I knew I was going to do it without drugs. That helped me very much when I was in labor. OF COURSE it hurts, and at times it is hard.....what do some of these women expect....it to be easy? I firmly believe that when a woman says she wants to go natural but will give in to an epidural if it hurts; WILL get the epidural.....don't be silly. You have to be focused on what you really want and you have to focus on the end result. The epidural is an easy way out when the pain begins to kick in. Each contraction is bringing you one step closer to having your baby, try to think of it that way instead. Doctors, nurses, and childbirth class instructors like to push drugs on us these days, or to at least have a drug picked out if it becomes too much in there. Drugs is a huge industry and a money maker for hospitals and they like to push them on the patients. (maybe not everyone, but many times.) I once went through a childbirth class where the nurse teaching it kept putting me down because I wanted to have my baby naturally....nevermind that it is more healthier and it puts me at a much less risk that those who chose drugs. She had to tell me she had three kids and she has epidurals and they are good to have. She also told me to choose a drug to have on stand by and I was completely upset and disgusted when I left that class. Why does everyone want to bring you down because you want to have your baby naturally?!?!?!?

The pain isn't contant and there are ways to ease the pain but using a midwife and laying in the birthing tub. The warmth and the pressure of the water eases the pain. Try sitting on a birthing ball (ab or exercise ball) and roll your hips in circles while sitting on it. I did some of those things as well and stand, sit, lay down and even jump in frustration at times. Remember that the pain does not last the entire time. The contractions hurt but there is a break in between them, even towards the end. Keep looking forward to the pushing point because then you are on the homestretch and that also helps too.

I'm sorry but I have to say that unless you gave birth naturally you really can't complain a whole lot about how much it hurts to give birth. I do also feel better about myself and my experience because I have birth naturally....IT WAS MY GIFT TO MY DAUGHTER, I DID IT ALL FOR HER AND THAT IS THE FIRST THING I TOLD HER WHEN SHE CAME OUT.

Last edited by OrangeCouture; 08-14-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
(female)

KissMeDestroyMe HB User

amazing.. you shed alot of light. I agree with the drugs are bad thing and ive always wanted to give birth naturally.. this is my frist pregnancy and I guess im just getting nervous about it.. ive researched natural birth and everyone makes it out to be the most horrible thing ever.. I'm definatly gonna go through with the natural birth.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:27 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

People make it sound horrible because so many choose drugs and the industry pushes them towards us so that it isn't the norm to go naturally. Also many women will make you feel ba or tryto bring you down or feel the need to warn you of how terrible the pain is and how hard it is when you tell them you are going naturally because they chose drugs and it is a way for them to feel better about themselves. (Not all, but many in my case were like that.)

IT IS THE MOST REWARDING METHOD....

Old 08-15-2006, 06:38 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User

I have never been in labor, but I know if the pain gets bad I'm taking the epidural. IMO, there is no need to suffer for no reason and my daughter isn't going to love me anymore for "going natural". I'm not going to deny myself an epidural just so I can say, "look at me. I did it all natural", as if anyone cares.

It's your personal decision and you shouldn't feel bad if you end up needing pain medication. Also, they don't give out medals for being the hero and going all natural. Either way I hope your labor goes the way you want it to and that you don't need the meds since you really don't want them. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #14
(female)

Laetitia HB User

I went 100% natural 4 months ago. I knew that I would use no pain meds except in the most extreme of circumstances - emergency c-section. IMO, you have to have your mind made up that you will have NO pain meds, or you'll give in and get them - what you think about you bring about. I highly recommend having a birth plan to take with you to the hospital that specifically outlines your wishes, whatever they may be. I specifically stated that I did not want pain medications, I did not want them offered, and I did not want the nurses to ask me the "pain scale" question (how bad does it hurt from 1-10). They complied 100% with my wishes, and it was wonderful!

For me, natural was the only way to go. I wasn't out to prove anything, and I don't think I'm better or stronger than my friends who had pain meds. I knew what I wanted and got it. But to those of you who say that the statement "natural is healthier for you and your baby" is an opinion, you need to do some research of your own! As for "rewarding," that's individual.

Best of luck to you and your baby.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Ohhhhhh I LOVED the epidural! To those who can handle pain and discomfort of labor and childbirth--you're the bomb!! As for me, labor sucked and I needed the epidural. I scared myself so bad into thinking the epi would hurt going in----but I didn't feel a THING! Getting the silly IV was what was uncomfortable! lol My anesthesiologist worked his magic with the epi. Once I received the epi, it was pure bliss (I received it at 3 cm). I was in labor for about 24 hours---Once I received the epidural---I slept, played scrabble with my mom and hubby, watched TV, goofed off with my family until it was time to push. I pushed for 1 hour (which flew by super fast) and my little bean was born---no issues at all---and he's my first child---8 pounds too. You want to know what hurt? When the doctor massaged my stomach to get the placenta to come out. OMG--that hurt like heck--I screamed!! Doctor was massaging it way hard, but it was only for a brief 5 seconds and it was all over. No need to worry! You can try to do the natural route---and if you feel you can't handle it, let them know! But let them know ahead of time! Sometimes labor and delivery can get busy and you have to wait---sometimes awhile. Only you know what you and your body can handle!

Last edited by Infinitum; 08-15-2006 at 02:54 PM.

Closed Thread