It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

canukmom HB User
Postpartum bleeding

Hi all, I'm not sure where else I can post this, and I am no longer pregnant but this is pregnancy related and I was recently pregnant. I'm almost 8wks postpartum and am still bleeding. NOt spotting, but red bleeding with clots. I had to reschedule my 6wk postpartum appt and its in a few weeks, so I am seeing my GP instead of my OB this afternoon, but I"m just wondering if anyone else had this? I had a c-section (my second). I'm so tired of this!

Last edited by canukmom; 08-14-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

My5Cats HB User
Re: Postpartum bleeding

I had a c-section as well and the bleeding and clotting wenton for what seemed like a very long time. When it finally stopped, it kept starting and stopping every couple of days. The doctor told me to call immediately if this startd happening (the concern was a possiblity of aving a part of the placent still inside me), so I did, and went in to have an ultrasound (I think DD was like 11 weeks old at this time) and they found more blood clots in my uterus. THey told me that they would eventaully break down and leave my body...which they did, because I am now back to having regualr periods.

If you are still having clotting, though, you might want to call your doctor, because mine told me if a big enough clot formed it could plug the cervix and trap blood in there. SO if you stop bleeding suddenly and have cramping...call your doc immediately because it could be a blood clot stopping up the works. They said if this happens, the treatment is fairly easy, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

I too had a c-section w/ my first and had heavy postpartum bleeding between 6 and 8 weeks if I recall correctly. The flow was so heavy and filled w/ clots that I called an ambulance b/c I thought I was hemmoraging. The dr. gave me a pill called Methergen which I was to take when the bleeding got heavy. It helped control the flow. Afterwards I was put on several different birth control pills to get me on a regular schedule. I am having my 2nd c-section in 4 weeks and am so fearful that the bleeding will happen again. It's very scary to bleed like that. My dr. did inform me that for some woman it is normal to have a heavy bleed like that. Especially after a c-section. I wish you well. And never hesitate to call your dr.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
(female)

canukmom HB User

Well I saw my local GP and he sent me for bloodwork which came back normal. He said since I"ve been bleeding for so long and its not really heavy bleeding, I could wait to see my OB on Sept 7. He figures she will do a D&C. Surprisingly, the bleeding has turned into spotting in the last week, and sometimes mucousy brown stuff (weird), so I think its coming to an end. Will see what OB says.......... Thanks all!

Old 08-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

I had a C-section and had bleeding that tapered off, then restarted with a flood at 4 weeks post-partum. I went to my doctor and when he pushed down on my stomach, I almost hit the ceiling. It turned out I had a bit of retained placenta and ended up with a D&C. That fixed the problem.

I'd suggest you let your OB doctor's nurse know what your GP said, that the bleeding is tapering off, and that you're not anemic. You do need to be seen by the OB doctor if the bleeding gets heavy again and don't let the receptionist put you off until your scheduled appointment!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Closed Thread