It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

oohjo56 HB User
No Hot Dogs?

So I was reading a website on things to avoid eating when pregnant, and they had soft cheeses, hot dogs and deli meat.

I guess my main question is... why????

Jo
EDD 4/4/07 #3

Old 08-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
Re: No Hot Dogs?

There's a slight concern with processed meats (i.e. hot dogs and deli meats) concerning listeria.....but if you cook the meat to steaming, there's no danger.

I've eaten many a hot dog, and deli meats, throughout my pregnancy, and I've been just fine. Listeria is pretty rare even for non preggos.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

oohjo56 HB User

Okay good, cuz I was gonna say! I love my Oscar Mayer cheese hot dogs and Oscar Mayer bologna sandwhiches.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

The key is to heat them up first to steaming. That goes for the bologna and all lunch meat, too. Softserve icecream is also on the list.

Listeria grows in cool environments and is killed by high heat. Pregnant women are much more susceptible to Listeriosis, even though it is still rare. Apparently it is dangerous for the baby.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

Oh lord, it's there to scare pregnant women! It's SO uncommon to get listeria. Think about it, our mothers ate this stuff and their mothers did too and we ALL are fine!

I ate hot dogs, deli meat and soft ice cream through out my pregnancy and suprise suprise, my son is just fine.

I'm sorry but if I listen to everything, every artical told me what to do and what not to do, I would have never made it through my pregnancy.

Knock yourself out and enjoy those yummy hot dogs and deli meat!

Old 08-16-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Perhaps I'm a little obsessive, but I am taking all of my doctor's (and other research I've done) advice on nutrition. I love hot dogs however I will not eat them. Not because of listeria so much but because of the nitrates in them. Two OBGYNs told me to stay away from nitrates and MSG and other preservatives. Sometimes this can be difficult because preservatives are in a lot of our foods, but I think it's worth it for 9 months. I suppose one hot dog in 9 months isn't a huge deal, but the doctors give us advice because they know. Over the past couple of decades they have learned more and our foods have changed a lot (ex: more pesticides in our produce now than 10 years ago). So, I'd rather adhere to the Doctors orders then play into my own cravings and desires. It's not worth the risk to the baby.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
(female)

jamckit HB User

I asked my obgyn the whole lunch meat question. She said go ahead & eat lunch meat if I wanted too. She said the chances of getting Listeria or something else was too small to even worry about. The only food she really wanted me to stay away from was fish.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
(female)

jackiejetta_84 HB User

First before I start I am not putting down or supporting either view totally on this situation. But honestly being pg with my first baby, after m/c'ing in January, I too had worries about food in the start. When I got pg in Dec., I found out early, and I did everything I could to ensure my baby would be healthy. From everything I ate, to my daily portion of exercise.....so i thought. Then when I m/c'ed 3 wks later, I was devastated. I thought I did everything right! But what I have learned, and believe, is that god has a plan for your baby. No deli meat, or icecream, is going to supercede what's in the plan. Not to offend everyone with religion (if I do, I am sorry), but I just don't think that these little things that many of us do in moderation will make or break our babies overall health. True, I support all of you that avoid these things, and all of you who do not. But I found that worrying over every little thing that we eat, or do, can actually cause stress in which in some cases can be worse than eating these things on a daily basis. Unfortunately, everything you eat, either has a preservative in it, or pesticide on it, in which we should not consume. (Unless your eating 100% organic). Point being, my neighbor up the street drinks and smokes with her little bean inside of her, and up until this post, I had no idea we weren't supposed to eat deli meats, and icecream (in which I eat a sandwhich every day at lunch time). But there are far worse things than this. Good luck to you all, and hope you are all doing very well!!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

Jackie-I'm so sorry about your previous m/c. I wish you all the best w/ this pregnancy and I agree completely about God having a plan for all of us, including our little ones, even before we get to meet them.

I asked my dr. about these foods as well. She is an extremely well respected obgyn in my area. Actually, I asked 4 drs for a recommendation and all told me to go to her. She said that heating meats up to steaming is safe. Deli meats have a higher risk and soft serve ice cream is extremely low risk, so much so that she wouldn't worry about it. There are a lot of differing opinions on the subject. I personally trust my dr. completely but everyone should talk to their own dr (if they feel they have a good dr. I know some of the ladies on this board have had unfortunate experiences) and figure out what they feel is best for them and their little one.

BTW, its not uncommon that the advice on this board is not always the best or given as fact when its just opinion but we are all adults and can take the information given as we want. Lets remember we are all hormonal and I'm sure that nobody means to insult one anothers ability as a mother. We obviously all care very much about our babies or we wouldn't be on these boards. Happy, healthy pregnancies to you all.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
(female)

jackiejetta_84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb816
BTW, its not uncommon that the advice on this board is not always the best or given as fact when its just opinion but we are all adults and can take the information given as we want. Lets remember we are all hormonal and I'm sure that nobody means to insult one anothers ability as a mother. We obviously all care very much about our babies or we wouldn't be on these boards. Happy, healthy pregnancies to you all.
Beautifully put mrsb! Everyone here has different views, and we must all repect and be open to at least hearing what each of us has to say Let's just all be glad that we got this opportunity to share in such an amazing and joyous miracle! Oh and about that hormonal thing.....hit it right on the nose! DH and I both won't mind when that one goes!

~Jackie G.~

Old 08-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
(female)

oohjo56 HB User

First I wanted to say I'm sorry for starting an argument with my question about these certain foods. Second, I wanted to share my findings. I had my first appointment today, it was a nurses interview for all the family history and stuff. And I asked her about the soft cheeses and hot dogs and she kind of giggled at me. She said that hot dogs were fine because they are pre-cooked. She said that most cheeses are fine, except for the softer cheeses like the crumbly bleu cheeses and high scale cheeses. She said the main concern is undercooked food. Some lunch meats and things that aren't cooked enough or smoked enough, like pastromi and meats like that. She said that my Oscar Mayer lunch meat is fine. And she even said that my hot dogs are fine because one hot dog is considered one serving of meat towards the daily intake I should be getting. The soft serve ice cream should be a no-no, she said, because it doesn't get cold enough to kill any bacteria or things that come from the eggs and milk.

Also, what I didn't know is that corn doesn't really fall under the vegetable category, but more under the grain category for daily intake. I thought that was interesting too. This is my third pregnancy but the first one that I actually learned about foods. How sad is that?

Anyway, I'm sorry I started the great Hot Dog Debate But just wanted to share with you what the nurse told me. She also said that since I don't tolerate milk very well, that I should eat 4 tums a day as a serving of dairy.

Hope everyone is having a healthy, happy pregnancy.

Jo
EDD 4/4/07 #3

Closed Thread