It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
(female)

tangerinedream8 HB User
COuld I be going into labor soon?

Is there any way to know if you might be going into labor before your due date? I get menstrual-like cramps in my back and my uterus tightens a lot.. sometimes to the point where it feels like I've done an hour work out on my abs. The past week the baby has moved pretty low.. his head is just above my vagina. The last time I was checked my uterus was still closed, but I was getting the cramping and tightening. At the time he was still up very high.
I have the feeling he's going to be coming around the end of the month and I'm due Sept 21.

He even seems to be preparing for birth a lot more lately. I never felt hiccups until the past week... and he gets them often.

I'm so confused.. I'm not really sure if this is all common or it's a sign that I might go into labour early.

If I did have him at the end of the month I'm sure all would be fine.. he would be between 36-37 weeks..

I'm not sure if I should be packing for the hospital yet.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
(female)

Laetitia HB User
Re: COuld I be going into labor soon?

As far as I know, the only way tell if you will go into labor early is if you do!

More than likely, you're having Braxton-Hicks contractions, and that's a good thing. Your body is practicing! My baby was head-down around 34 weeks, and stayed that way. At 36 weeks, I was fingertip dilated. Then, I was 1cm, 1.5-2cm, 2cm, and 3cm at subsequent weekly appointments. My son was born 2 days after my EDD.

Just be patient - he'll come when he's ready. I'd go ahead and pack, but don't expect to run to the hospital tonight!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Tangerine -- Are the contractions regular? Are you having more than 5 an hour? Does anything make them start/stop?

If they are consistent you may be in labor. Otherwise, probably just BH...

Regardless, if you have more than 4-5 an hour, you should go to the doc or to labor&delivery to get checked out.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

Definitely pack for the hospital now just because that should be done weeks ahead when you can think calmly and not be in a hurry. If your intuition is correct and your baby comes earlier than his due date, you just take the packed suitcase with the camera, extra batteries, extra film and/or memory card and call list inside.... and go!

As I was told......and this applies to day or night......
If the contractions or back discomfort you're feeling are painful or increasingly painful, do call your doctor.
If the contractions are happening at regular intervals (time them), call your doctor.
If the contractions are more than 6 in an hour, call your doctor whether they're regular or not.
If your start running a fever or your water starts leaking or breaks, call your doctor.
If your water is leaking or has broken and almost 20 hours has passed since the leak started or your water broke, go to Labor and Delivery whether you're in labor or not.
If you start bleeding, go to the ER at the hospital where you plan to deliver or to Labor and Delivery. They'll call your doctor!

I thought those were good instructions!

Wishing you well! Barbara

Last edited by BarbaraH; 08-16-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Closed Thread