It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

DissolveGurl HB User
Prometrium During Pregnancy?

My doctor just put me on Prometrium 100mg orally twice a day, and I was just wondering if anyone else has had to take Prometrium during their pregnancy. I have already questioned my doctors about it because when I got it filled the bottle said not to take during pregnancy, but they reassured me it was to help the baby, but just wondering what kind of side effects it causes...because I seem to feel every single side effect of medications.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
(female)

PrasannaS HB User
Re: Prometrium During Pregnancy?

I was put on Prometrium suppositories from week 7 until week 12 due to low progesterone. I freaked out too when I read on the bottle that it was not meant for pregnant women. I checked with multiple doctors and they all assured that it is sustain the pregnancy and it will not do any harm to the baby. I did not have majo side effects. Oral prometrium may have some side effects like headache etc for some people, but not for everyone. I am 25 weeks today and doing okay.

I know of a friend too who had these prometrium suppositories and delivered full term healthy baby girl. Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

I had to do progestrone in oil injections 'til about 10 weeks, which is pretty much the same as prometrium pills. I was so scared for my baby when I read that you're not supposed to use it when you're pregnant. I was going to a RE so I knew that he knew what he was doing, but I still did my own research. From what I read, your body has to produce enough progestrone for the baby to stay attached and alive and if you aren't producing the proper amount than you need a little help. But once the placenta is producing this hormone for the baby your dr. will have you stop the pills. It's perfectly normal to be on progestrone meds for some women so don't worry about it. It's not going to hurt your baby!!

Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

I took suppositories but they said progesterone right on them not prmetrium. I assume it's the same thing because I used it for low progesterone levels too. It gives the placenta enough progesterone to function properly and eventually it will funtion on it's own without the extra medicine anywhere from 12 weeks to 16. I stopped when I stopped it around 16 weeks. It helps rather than harms but maybe the warning is there because if used improperly or too much it may hurt the baby. However the doctor prescribed it for you so they must know how much of it you need. Mine was 100mg twice a day too. I found an article a while back on it there was a study done and the kids who's mothers took it came out to develope faster mentally and physically compared to kids who's moms didn't take it.

Closed Thread