It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
(male)

ny2125 HB User
please explain a "dnc"

sadly my wife miscarried after 5 weeks. her hormone levels never got high enough. she has to have the levels checked again in a week to make sure they are back to zero. if not, she would need a dnc. what is this? is it surgery that you need to be put under? thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User
Re: please explain a "dnc"

im so sorry for your loss, i have had 2 preivous miscarriages, my first i had to have a d&c (dilation and cutterage(sp) i think is the full name) i was put under for this , basically it is a proceedure that is done to remove any left over tissue from pregnancy.
there is a miscarriage and sillbirth board on here which i found very helpful.

once again im sorry for your loss and wish you all the best in the future

gemma

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
(female)

scrappin HB User

I have had 2 d&c's. I was awake for both. They used epidural for pain control for the procedure. They basically scrape out the inside of the uterus to remove what is left from the pregnancy. I'm sorry this has happened to you and your wife.

Pam

Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

whodidwhat HB User

PLEASE get a second opinion before the d&c! My hormone levels were not high in week 6. I had several ultra sounds done and they told me the fetus was not viable ( I too had bleeding). They scheduled a D&C. I couldn't bring myself to go so I went to another doc and had another ultrasound done. There on the screen was my baby...kicking. The tech said she has a great heartbeat. I bursted out crying because my other dr. told me the baby was dead and was going to do this procedure. Today I have a beautiful, energetic 3 year old who is an honest to God miracle. Please have the tests run again.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
(female)

Sylvia224 HB User

Please do listen to the previous poster, I have heard too many times of that same occurance. I had a blighted ovum last April (there was no fetus in the sac, or the fetus had stopped developing very early) and I was given the choice of waiting for a natural m/c or opting for a d&c. I waited and waited for a natural miscarriage and was eventually told I had to do the d&c because there was a risk of hemorraging. I asked for three ultrasounds before I would do it.

I had it done in a hospital, and I was put out completely. It's much more painful emotionally than physically, so tell your wife not to worry about that - she won't feel a thing other than a little cramping afterward, and bleeding. My doctor did not remove all of the tissue, he let me then miscarry much of it in the days following the procedure. This limits the risk of scar tissue building up on the uterus, which could have an effect on future pregnancies (the embryo may have a more difficult time implanting if there is scar tissue present).

Good luck, and I am very sorry for your loss. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread