It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

bondgrll HB User
Worried About U/S

Hi all,

I had an ultrasound today and I was very sure I was about 8 weeks along. My first positive pregnancy test was July 17 (it was one of those ones that says you can tell 5 days before missed period). I had also tested negative on July 15 but two days later it was positive. The U/S tech said there was a sak but that it measured 5 weeks 2 days and that it was empty. Dr, then told me it was either a blighted ovum or I was way wrong on my dates (in which case he said they would not be able to see anything in the sak at 5 weeks anyway. Well I know for a fact I had no period in July so now I am stressed beyond belief. 3 weeks is a long time to be that far off on the dates. I am supposed to have another U/S in a week......the waiting game is horrible. Anybody out there that can relate?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
(female)

jackiejetta_84 HB User
Re: Worried About U/S

YESSS!!!!! First of all I am very sorry for your worrying, b/c I am so familar with this feeling, but please don't fret! I went in for my 1st OB apt., in which I didn't get to until about 3 wks ago. I told her that my last AF was April 1st. She then told me my EDD was 1/1/07, and that I was like 16-17 wks pg! She then did an internal and said that my uterus only measured one of a 12 wk old baby. Then on top of that she tried getting the h/b on two different dopplers and failed with both of them. She pretty much told me that my baby had died. After getting totally upset and whigged out, she said she was sending me for a u/s in which I had to wait an hour and half for. I called everyone I knew, and balled my eyes out the whole time. Went in, and broke down in front of the tech b4 she even did anything, telling her about my m/c in January, and how the NP told me that the baby was showing no sign of life! She calmed me down, and told said "Honey don't cry, really, I just got the h/b!" I even asked her to make sure it wasn't my h/b b4 giving me a def. answer about it. She then pulled the monitor up to me and said look, there's your baby. In which was bouncin, flippin, and wavin his/her arms and legs at us. My husband and I went from balling about the bad news, to balling b/c of how uplifting and amazing that was! I then showed the NP the sonogram, and switched OB's and hospitals. Sorry my story is so long, but I wanted you to understand that there is hope, and not to get discouraged yet! The Dr.'s and NP's can be off on your EDD. She then told me the baby measured 12.7 wks, and I was due 2/6/07..........far from 1/01/07! Good luck to you hun, and keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User

just a thought.. you may have just ovulated late. this would push the dates back. i can almost guarentee this is the case if you were correct about your dates and the dr was correct on the measurments.

good luck !!!! hope this helps

Old 08-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Delayed ovulation, plus delayed implantation could cause a later than expected EDD.

When I went in for my 12 week check (the doc's thought I was only 11 weeks because the baby measured a little smaller on the first u/s, but hey -- I was there so I know when conception occured!) the nurse said that at that stage it was iffy if they could get the heartbeat with a doppler, so she took me to the u/s room (they have two in the office) and did another u/s just to make sure. All was well.

Doctors have an obligation to tell you all the different possiblities with the info they have. At that point, the doc said it MIGHT be a blighted ovum or that your dates were off, nothing definite. It's tough to see that early in the game, which is why he wanted to wait a week. While the week seems to last forever it can pass quickly if you keep yourself busy.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but know that it's not uncommon for dates to be off, for doctors to have a difficult time seeing early pregnancies on u/s, and for dopplers to take effect later than you seem to be.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
(female)

bondgrll HB User

Well I came back from the doctor today and he said that if indeed I had a positive pregnancy test on July 17 (Which I did), then he's 99% sure this is a blighted ovum. He was just saying that the dates would be incompatible with a viable pregnancy. I don't know what to think. Thanks for all good words, it really does help. I still go back next week. I can't stand the conflicting information.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
(female)

bondgrll HB User

UPDATE: Have been bleeding moderately since Tuesday with slight cramps. I'm really worried and prepared for the worst. I can't believe it's only Saturday.....still three more days of waiting. Please pray for a baby and a heartbeat...I still have an ounce of hope maybe. Thanks all.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
(female)

jackiejetta_84 HB User

Hang in there hun, just take it day by day. God works in mysterious ways. I wish I could take all of your worry away, b/c I know how it feels to feel as you do. Keep us all updated, and I will keep you and your baby in my prayers!

~Jackie G.~

Closed Thread