It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

PrasannaS HB User
Am I not counting the BHs right? Please advice

I have been having contractions and BHs for a while now. According to doctors I should be concerned only if the BHs are more than 4 an hour.

I always don't feel pain experience period like cramps. When I am at work I fail to notice them. At home when I am lying down or sitting I feel more of these tightening or hardening of my abdomen. My fear is that am I ignoring these BHs because I don't always them. I may be getting far more BHs than I think.

I am really concerned about keeping track of this. I have been asked to go and get my cervix measured every other week. It has been 3cms on an avg for the last month.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

Abigail_P HB User
Re: Am I not counting the BHs right? Please advice

Hi!

Congrats on your pregnancy first of all . Unfortunately, BH, and even mild contractions are normal throughout all of the pregnancy, and they can come and go. Problem is diferentiating what is to be overlooked and what is serious. If anything inside worries you don't be afraid to ask your doctor for closer monitoring, that's what they are there for. I had extremely mild contractions with my second pregnancy one every few hours, sometimes a day would go by and I wouldn't have any. At 20 weeks, was 5 cm dialated, and had no idea, and went into spontanious labor. Unfortunately, I lost my son, but if I would have said something sooner, maybe there was something they could have done. Always trust your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, it may not be and get it checked out, maybe there is something to be done. Good luck to you!

Abigail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

Abigail_P HB User

Hi,
Sorry, I just wanted to mention something else. When you're lying down, you WILL feel more tightening and contractions. I was hospitalized for my third pregnancy (yes I have quite a history), and they told me to lay on my left side. It has something to do with the blood flow to the heart. If you lay on your back it can restrict the blood flow to the baby because the baby's weight can press on a main artery. Anyways, lying on your back restricts the baby's movement so everything feels stronger than they actually are. If you're doing normal activities, and you still feel them, maybe you can ask your OBGYN if they can start monitoring you for contractions weekly. Of even send a home nurse out a few times a week who can bring a motitor, hook you up and really get a better feel for what is happening inside. They will be able to tell you what are contractions that need to be worried about, and what are ones that are "normal" in your pregnancy.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

Any contractions are worth noting. Whether they are painful or not is irrelevant and thightening in your abdomen is exactly what a contraction is. If you are having more than four and hr you should never ignore it. Its worth it to be extra cautious. If you are able to, rest your hand on you belly at work often so that you do feel the contractions if they occur. If you're having them a lot and are able to, lie on your left side. Drink lots of water (dehydration can cause contractions) but also be sure to empty your bladder often b/c a full bladder can increase contractions as well. I always think its better to be extra careful and I think its a great idea to have your cervix measured. Best of luck.

Closed Thread