It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
(female)

me_n_bubby HB User
leaking amniotic fluid... or discharge?PLEASE HELP

hello...

i am almost 23 wks preg. it always feels "wet" down there and i almost always wear a liner... however, when i didnt wear one i noticed a wet patch on my underwear.. like the size of a 20 cent coin... it didnt seem like discharge..wasn't thick or sticky- could it have been just urine??.... i do have a weak bladder...... apart from that everything is normal... the baby kicks regularly... and so far everything has been 100% healthy... am i worrying too much? i guess i should call my OB... but im guessing its normal.

any advice will be highly appreciated.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User
Re: leaking amniotic fluid... or discharge?PLEASE HELP

I don't know what was in your underwear, but I know my discharge has been different than I expected. Mine has been clear and not very thick lately (i am 34 weeks). I was also worried at first, but eventually figred out it was just discharge. Yours could also be urine. I don't know if this is gross to you, but maybe you could smell it. I've read amniotic fluid has a sweet smell.

Either way if you are at all worried about it, you should call your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Jonanner you are right amniotic fluid does have a sweet smell unlike the ammonia scented urine smell. So it shouldn't be hard to distinguish. But there is a test the dr. can do to check if you are leaking amniotic fluid. I had it done w/ my 1st pregnancy. It's just a tab of paper they put inside and it turns a certain color if amniotic fluid is present. It doesn't hurt and it's quick. If you are that concerned check w/ your ob.

Just FYI - I am wet down there as well. I almost always have a wet spot. I'm 35 weeks along. I think it's normal though.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

it is just increased discharge, and it will only get worse the closer you get to delivery. I too kept thinking it could be my water breaking but it never was. usually when it is your water it leaks out a little at a time consistently. my doctor gave me a few strips of the paper they use to check so i could always just check myself instead of having to go in. but remember it is always better to be safe and get it checked out if u r worried. but increased discharge is completely normal as long as there is no foul odor or color. good luck!!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

Why guess? This is too important to guess about. Call your doctor, tell about what you're experiencing, and let the doctor tell you what to do. For everyone's peace of mind, you may be asked to come to the office to be checked. That just makes good sense.

You doctor cannot take good care of you and your baby if you don't tell him/her what is happening to you!

As one who did have a 26 (or 27) week preemie - I say call! Better safe than sorry.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I began leaking fluid about a week before my delivery date. I went a few days before it hit me. I felt more felt like I peed that like I did when there was discharge. It was to the point where I had to change panties several times a day or take a shower. Go in and get tested. They should do an internal exam where they look for pooling of fluid inside of your vagina, second they will take a swab and put it on a test strip and if it turns blue, it is your fluid and third, they will look at it under a microscope. They did this with me and sure enough, they were right and I had a baby the next morning.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:24 AM   #7
(female)

welsh_becca HB User

i have the same promblem its urine where your bladder weakens its very normal try wearing a pantyliner im 24 weeks now and the further on im getting the worse its getting but if your really worried go and see your doctor or midwife

Closed Thread