It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User
Rollercoaster Pregnancy cant get off track

I am having a hard time holding back my emotions right now but I have too because I am at work. I want this baby so much and I fully intend to do whatever I have to too have my baby but I feel like I am on a rollercoaster and getting sick of it! I had an ectopic my 1st pregnancy so the 2nd one was a blessing but also stressfull. I was happy to hear that it was not another ectopic but than I was let down when I was told I had a progesterone problem. I had to take medicine for about 9 weeks and I was happy when I no longer had too take it but than I was let down when I couldn't feel the baby's movements around my 18th week. I remained patient and finally at about 21 weeks I felt the baby but then the baby started layng on my blatter (7 months) and it causes pain for me. On top of that , my bp gets high when I am stressed so the Doctor had me tested for possible preeclampsia or hypertention. He said a sign of preeclampsia is the baby's growth would be stunted and diI had an ultrasound again. Things turned out fine infact that baby was bigger than how far along I am and I passed both of my diabetes test. Just when I started feeling good again the Doctor tells me he worries the baby is too big and I may just now be getting diabetes. He still wants my bp checked, another diabetes test (3rd) and yet another ultrasound making a total of 5 throughout this pregnancy! I consider myself lucky to even be able to get pregnant and carry a child and that none of the tests have proven that I have a problem other than a big baby but I have had my fill of tests! I have no choice however and I want my baby to be safe and healthy. I just wish for once things would come easy for the baby and me! I know it sounds terrible but does anyone else have any stories like mine. Maybe knowing someone eles is going through the same thing will help me deal with this better. Did anyone have a happy ending? Has anyone just had a big baby without having diabetes? If so what did they do? Did the baby come early? Did you have a c-section? My husband and I were both big babies. He was over 9 lbs and I was over 10! Does this matter, some say yes and some say no?

Last edited by alleycat2; 08-17-2006 at 02:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User
Re: Rollercoaster Pregnancy cant get off track

I can understand how you feel. I had one daughter and I was pregnant with a little boy. Prior to pregnancy with my daughter, I had slightly elevated blood pressure. I'm overweight too. So, at this practice, one of the doctors practically told me that I'd probably have preeclampsia and gestational diabetes and they'd probably have to take me of work early and induce me early. Also was told I'd probably have a huge baby.

I had something weird happen on the day of my glucose screen - the 1 hr. I started to feel extremely high anxiety that I was going to have a high BP and they were going to take me out of work, possibly take the baby early, etc. They also told me to eat whatever I wanted to before the 1 hr glucose. So, being nervous, I ate english muffins with a lot of jam on them. (dumb....) Anyway, I got to the appointment, and I don't even think it was an hour since I had the food (but i'm not sure, maybe it was...), and they did a finger stick of 190. So they ruled it GD, gave me a pamphlet which I now think was more for a regular diabetic person than GD that explained some really horrible risks of diabetes. They told me to schedule and appointment for dietary training, but gave me no instructions on what to do in the meantime. The earliest appointment I could get was 2 weeks away. So, in the meantime, I did some reading and got myself a meter and found out that my blood sugars after meals 1 hr and 2 hr were actually quite normal. So, when I went to the endo, I insisted on having the 3 hour test to confirm GD or not. After much fighting (polite though), the endo finally gave in and gave me the test. I think she thought I would fail and then she would have me. Well, I passed it - in fact every single one of the 4 numbers was passing. They wanted to hold onto me anyway and make me do the 5-6 times a day finger sticks and their diet, saying I didn't have it now, but I would definately get it later. I promised I would check my levels from time to time, which I did and found I didn't have any problem for the rest of the pregnancy.

So anyway, at the OB's I was labeled a GD patient and they would ask me about it every visit, i.e. how's the diet going and the finger sticks. I had to remind them each time that I passed that test.

Toward the end of my pregnancy, my blood pressure started creeping back up to it's normal for me pre-pregnancy level. I told them that, but it didn't matter. Right before my 40 week appointment, someone I had to deal with on the phone gave me a really hard time and I got mad (really mad). So, of course, I went to my OB appointment and had a bp higher than they liked. So, I got sent off to the hospital for a nonstress test and monitoring for 4 hours to see if they would induce right then. The baby was fine. My blood work was fine. And, after laying there and calming down, my BP was fine. But then I was told if I didn't have the baby over the weekend to come in for an induction (something I kind of regret now, but maybe I had no choice).

Anyway, so now with this baby, I'm on bp medicine. I just had the 1 hour glucose and have to go for the 3 hour test. The doctor's (different doctor in the practice than the one I've been seeing - but same that called it GD last time before giving me a 3 hour test that I passed) nurse for some reason instructed me to have low carb, low sugar, high protein meals for the day before the test. This confused me because the instructions at the lab sites all say to have at least 150 g of carb for the 3 days before the test. And, then I read a study that says that a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet 1-3 days before the test can cause a false positive (another study says diet makes no difference). So now, why did she tell me that? Am I crazy to think they want me to fail this so they can collar me into GD that doesn't exist? I know it sounds paranoid, but it seems odd to me.

So anyway, I can understand your frustration and annoyance with it all. Unfortunately, either you have to be patient with this doc or find another that makes you more comfortable.

Good luck and hang in there.

Last edited by beabonnet; 08-17-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

You also might want to get your own meter and test yourself 1 and 2 hours after meals. Keep a journal. If you fail your glucose test anyway and have GD, they'll have you get one anyway. Maybe you'll find your glucose levels are a problem just by doing that, maybe you'll find their ok. Anway, it's just a thought.

Again, hang in there and try not to let it all get to you. (I know, easier said than done - but you can make things worse for yourself by letting it get to you.)

Old 08-17-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

<<<<<Has anyone just had a big baby without having diabetes? If so what did they do? Did the baby come early? Did you have a c-section? My husband and I were both big babies. He was over 9 lbs and I was over 10! Does this matter, some say yes and some say no?>>>>

Hi alleycat, my first son was 9lbs 10oz my second son was 9lbs 6oz and i did not have diabetes either time. I did not get a c-section i just gave birth the normal way. I don't think a big baby means a diabetes sentence... maybe you just have big babies? My third son was only 5.6 but the exception there was that i had severe pre-eclampisa. I'm not sure if you or your husbands weight at birth would make a difference so I can't say either way on that... I wasn't a large baby myself but sure did give birth to two of them!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Alleycat,
When are you due?

Old 08-19-2006, 03:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

ok yes i had an awful time i don't know truthfully if i could ever get pg again. i had a previous m/c so was so upset through my pg fearing another loss i had m/s and awful tiredness till 16 weeks. i had every symptom going piles heartburn no sleep you name it. at 7 months i was exhausted i gained 10 pounds in 10 days and swelled up like a whale i was drinking over 12 litresof fluid a day no one wa slistening to me i felt ill. finally at 36 weeks i went to the hospital because i actually got one high bp reading and they took my bloods my liver enzymes were high, my ds trace was a mess i had had decreased fetal movement the week before. the next morning i was delivered as ds was distressed his heart variability was poor and i was worried as were the docs he would be still born. i had measured big for my dates but did not have gd, although when ds was delivered my blood sugars were a mess? ds was delivered at 36 weeks by section he weighed 6 pounds 15, he would have been a big boy if we had gone full term. thankfully ds is now 5 months he was perfect at birth and still is now. i was pleased to get out of being pg and chuffed and relieved to get ds here safely in my arms i love him to pieces. regarding my health i am still awaiting the docs investigation and recommendation for any further pregnancies, yeah right but they think preeclamptic toxemia that was causing damamge to my liver. anyway what i am saying is even after a crap and horrendous pregnancy it is great to finally get your little baby in your arms the worry is worth it but like i say i won't be in any rush to do it again i hope i have offered you some support best wishes i am sure all will be fine in the end for you tobest wishes take care

Old 08-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

I am due at the end of October. Right now I am 30 weeks along. The nurse said my baby is 3 weeks ahead of schedule judging by the weight. She thought it was strange too for the Doctor to want me to have a 3rd diabetes test but he seems to think I may just now be starting to get diabetes. I kept thinking, do they do this to other women and make them take a 3rd one after the 28th week test? How many women have gotten diabetes later in their pregnancy? I am like 2 weeks away from starting my 8th month! The Doctor has done so many tests and ultrasounds sometimes I feel like he is looking for something to be wrong! It is frustrating! Plus my husband is getting fed up and wants a different Doctor! This is not helping my stress level at all!

Old 08-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

I don't know how common it is to have so many Glucose tests. If you're not feeling comfortable now, maybe you ought to get a 2nd opinion, particularly since you need to trust the doc who is going to deliver you. You might also switch ob's if you like that 2nd opinion doc.

Or, maybe you ought to try refusing the additional 3 hour test. Ask him if he thinks the baby should be hit with yet a third extremely high dose of glucose.

I'm pretty sure i just failed my 3 hour, so I'm gearing up for protecting my little one for unnececcsary aggressiveness. If they think I'm going to have a c-section based upon an ultrasound prediction of weight they are sorely mistaken. I don't want any doctor overreacting. If something is necessary fine, then explain it completely to me and I'll decide then. I expect to give birth to this one vaginally without induction.

I got a lot of hassle with my daughter (my first child) (not nearly as much as you). I was told my daughter was going to be huge. She was on the top end of the average. You might want to ask where you baby falls within the average. It might be that they're seeing your child at the top of the average range, rather than well over it. I think the three weeks ahead thing is the number put up by the ultrasound itself. I'm not sure how it works. But, at my last ultrasound, the screen showed my baby was 2 1/2 weeks over GA. The doc also said the baby was almost 2 lbs which I'm kind of doubting..... I haven't heard anything negative from my OB about this, so I'm not going to worry.

Hang in there somehow. You're getting close to the end.

Closed Thread