HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   3 Hour Glucose Screening - Prep questions (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/420353-3-hour-glucose-screening-prep-questions.html)

beabonnet 08-17-2006 05:19 PM

3 Hour Glucose Screening - Prep questions

A nurse at my OB practice told me to eat a low-carb/low sugar/high protein diet for the day before the 3 hour test. She also said to fast for it too.

Have any of you who've had to take the 3 hour test been told to eat low carb before the test?

MellyMel 08-17-2006 05:29 PM

Re: 3 Hour Glucose Screening - Prep questions

[QUOTE=beabonnet]A nurse at my OB practice told me to eat a low-carb/low sugar/high protein diet for the day before the 3 hour test. She also said to fast for it too.

Have any of you who've had to take the 3 hour test been told to eat low carb before the test?[/QUOTE]

No, I was only told to fast. Nothing to eat after midnight.

Good luck!!!

Mellly:angel:

beabonnet 08-17-2006 05:48 PM

Just so I don't cause any confusion.......The lab I'm going to advises something entirely different - i.e. to have a diet of at least 150 carbs for the 3 days before the test..... I plan to call my OBs office to find out what's going on here. But, I was curious as to whether any others were given these instructions.....

My5Cats 08-18-2006 07:49 AM

I had the same thing as Melly. I was told nothingto eat after midnight, and I was only allowed to to take little sips off the water fountain when I was doing the test. They didn't give me any specific instructions about what to eat before that.

-Diana

xinerevelle 08-18-2006 07:58 AM

I just had my one hour screening so I had done some web research on this... from what I've read, it's common to be given a specific diet to follow for the three days preceeding your three hour screening. Try doing a web search for "gestational glucose screening" and you may find out more info. I also did a search on this board and found a few posts from a few years ago about that sort of diet.

Good luck! I'm still waiting to hear about my results from the one hour test.

happygrl 08-18-2006 08:57 AM

I just found out that I did not pass my one hour test. I guess my level was 158 and 140 is the cutoff. I was just told to fast 8hrs before the 3 hr test, basically overnight, but was given no direction about diet. I was just lookng onlne and found in many places that women were recommended a high carb diet for the 3 days prior. I'm not sure what to do either! I feel very guilty and nervous now because I should have been eating better and exercising more. Also, this is my second pregnancy and I was totally hoping for a VBAC after my daughter was born by c-section. I know that having GD will mean another c-section so I am a little disappointed. Does anyone have experience to share about the 3 hour test or GD?

beabonnet 08-18-2006 03:43 PM

Well, I called the OB's office without giving my name and asked for the test instructions. I was only told to fast 8 hours. I asked about diet restrictions before the test and I was told there were none. Quite a different story from being told to eat a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet the day before the test. Interestingly enough, my web research brought up a study or two that stated that a low carb diet 1-3 days before the test (I didn't see that they said how low) before a glucose tolerance test (not specifically the GD one) could cause a false positive test because your glucose tolerance goes down.

I won't go into detail, but last pregnancy, some fluke reading happened and this OB diagnosed me with GD on the spot without doing the 3 hour test. When I was referred to an endo for the diet training, I insisted that I have the 3 hour test. I had to fight hard for it and I think they gave in thinking I would fail it. But, I passed all 4 blood tests for the three hour test.

I'm a bit suspicious about this....either this nurse was sorely mistaken or ....could it be they were trying to sabotage me? I hate to have such a suspicion, but based on what I found, it's hard to rule out.

Fortunately, this is just one of the OBs in the practice. I don't think the one I work with regularly would do something like this. But, if this OB is at my delivery, I'm going to have some serious trust problems......

xinerevelle 08-19-2006 07:18 AM

Bea ---

She was probably just mistaken. Or she was trained differently than the other staff at that office(maybe she's relatively new?).

I had that happen to me when I asked the nurse about the size of my fibroid. I asked her how big it was after an u/s since I knew it was 7cm before my pregnancy. She said that it should get SMALLER because of the hormones. I looked at her funny and commented that I had heard exactly the opposite, both from the OB and from my GYN (who shares office space with the OB but not a practice). So, she went to ask them and came back and apologized and said "I guess things have changed since I went to nursing school! I didn't realize that the hormones make it grow bigger."

So, I guess the moral of the story is, ask the doctor, not the nurse. Tell him/her that you were given conflicting advice and want to know what to do. Let them sort it out.

Good Luck!

Xine

KyMom2Be 08-20-2006 03:42 AM

I am supposed to have a GD test tomorrow! Are there different parts to it? I was only told that no sugar the morning of, and that I do not have to fast? Now I am confused, and I can't call because it is in the morning at 10:50am! :dizzy:

beabonnet 08-20-2006 07:16 AM

You must be doing the 1 hour screening? The instructions vary widely with that one. Some say you should fast. Some say you have a meal a couple of hours before. Sorry, I can't be more helpful. If you're going to eat though, I wouldn't eat anything within the 2 hours before the test and I would also limit any sugars too and stay aware from cereal..... But, I can't point to a particular source that tells you that......

If you don't pass it, you'll probably be asked to do the 3 hour one - that is a fasting test. Make sure you bring something along with you to eat for right after. I didn't and couldn't eat right away and ended up with a blood sugar of 46, an hour after the test ended. I got it back up quickly, but it couldn't have been good......

xinerevelle 08-20-2006 06:34 PM

KyMom -- Yeah, sounds like the one hour test to me. My doc's staff didn't give me ANY instructions and set my appt. for 1 pm. When I started doing some web research on it I found a wide variety of ideas on what you should to prepare for it, from completely fasting for 12 hours to doing nothing and eating a normal meal just before you go.

For me, since my appt. was at 1pm I had to eat SOMETHING, so I had my normal bowl of cereal (oat bran... no raisin bran for me that day!) and milk at about 7am. After that I just drank water. I mentioned this regimen to the nurse and she was kinda PO'd at me that I hadn't eaten right before the test (almost like she wanted me to fail... but I know I'm just being paranoid) since she hadn't given me specific instructions on it. She said "if I don't give you instructions than there is nothing special you have to do. Got that?" Like I am four years old. sheesh.

My test was last Wednesday. I drank the orange drink (not great, but not as bad as drinking the colonoscopy prep stuff or the barium for a GI CT scan, either) at the doctor's office at the start of my regular 2-week checkup, had the checkup, then went to a lab a few miles away to have them draw blood. The nurse noted on the lab form the exact time they were draw the blood ("draw at 2:06 pm") as if their clock was EXACTLY the same... ha! The lab then had to send it out, so I'm assuming they didn't test it until Friday. I didn't hear from my doctor yet, and won't make any assumptions until Wednesday. No news is good news, in his world. So if I don't hear from him, I'm good to go.

Good luck on your screening!

KyMom2Be 08-21-2006 03:46 AM

Thanks!! Well I was planning on sleeping in til time to get ready to go, but of course I got up with the husband when he went to work, and now I can't sleep!! :yawn: and of course IM STARVING, :nono: so I think I might have some eggs, they wrote on my appt. card: NO Sugar, this should be a fun day, will let ya know how it goes!! :wave: