It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User
3 Hour Glucose Screening - Prep questions

A nurse at my OB practice told me to eat a low-carb/low sugar/high protein diet for the day before the 3 hour test. She also said to fast for it too.

Have any of you who've had to take the 3 hour test been told to eat low carb before the test?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: 3 Hour Glucose Screening - Prep questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by beabonnet
A nurse at my OB practice told me to eat a low-carb/low sugar/high protein diet for the day before the 3 hour test. She also said to fast for it too.

Have any of you who've had to take the 3 hour test been told to eat low carb before the test?
No, I was only told to fast. Nothing to eat after midnight.

Good luck!!!

Mellly

Last edited by MellyMel; 08-17-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Just so I don't cause any confusion.......The lab I'm going to advises something entirely different - i.e. to have a diet of at least 150 carbs for the 3 days before the test..... I plan to call my OBs office to find out what's going on here. But, I was curious as to whether any others were given these instructions.....

Old 08-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
(female)

My5Cats HB User

I had the same thing as Melly. I was told nothingto eat after midnight, and I was only allowed to to take little sips off the water fountain when I was doing the test. They didn't give me any specific instructions about what to eat before that.

-Diana

Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I just had my one hour screening so I had done some web research on this... from what I've read, it's common to be given a specific diet to follow for the three days preceeding your three hour screening. Try doing a web search for "gestational glucose screening" and you may find out more info. I also did a search on this board and found a few posts from a few years ago about that sort of diet.

Good luck! I'm still waiting to hear about my results from the one hour test.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #6

happygrl HB User

I just found out that I did not pass my one hour test. I guess my level was 158 and 140 is the cutoff. I was just told to fast 8hrs before the 3 hr test, basically overnight, but was given no direction about diet. I was just lookng onlne and found in many places that women were recommended a high carb diet for the 3 days prior. I'm not sure what to do either! I feel very guilty and nervous now because I should have been eating better and exercising more. Also, this is my second pregnancy and I was totally hoping for a VBAC after my daughter was born by c-section. I know that having GD will mean another c-section so I am a little disappointed. Does anyone have experience to share about the 3 hour test or GD?

Old 08-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

Well, I called the OB's office without giving my name and asked for the test instructions. I was only told to fast 8 hours. I asked about diet restrictions before the test and I was told there were none. Quite a different story from being told to eat a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet the day before the test. Interestingly enough, my web research brought up a study or two that stated that a low carb diet 1-3 days before the test (I didn't see that they said how low) before a glucose tolerance test (not specifically the GD one) could cause a false positive test because your glucose tolerance goes down.

I won't go into detail, but last pregnancy, some fluke reading happened and this OB diagnosed me with GD on the spot without doing the 3 hour test. When I was referred to an endo for the diet training, I insisted that I have the 3 hour test. I had to fight hard for it and I think they gave in thinking I would fail it. But, I passed all 4 blood tests for the three hour test.

I'm a bit suspicious about this....either this nurse was sorely mistaken or ....could it be they were trying to sabotage me? I hate to have such a suspicion, but based on what I found, it's hard to rule out.

Fortunately, this is just one of the OBs in the practice. I don't think the one I work with regularly would do something like this. But, if this OB is at my delivery, I'm going to have some serious trust problems......

Old 08-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Bea ---

She was probably just mistaken. Or she was trained differently than the other staff at that office(maybe she's relatively new?).

I had that happen to me when I asked the nurse about the size of my fibroid. I asked her how big it was after an u/s since I knew it was 7cm before my pregnancy. She said that it should get SMALLER because of the hormones. I looked at her funny and commented that I had heard exactly the opposite, both from the OB and from my GYN (who shares office space with the OB but not a practice). So, she went to ask them and came back and apologized and said "I guess things have changed since I went to nursing school! I didn't realize that the hormones make it grow bigger."

So, I guess the moral of the story is, ask the doctor, not the nurse. Tell him/her that you were given conflicting advice and want to know what to do. Let them sort it out.

Good Luck!

Xine

Old 08-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
(female)

KyMom2Be HB User

I am supposed to have a GD test tomorrow! Are there different parts to it? I was only told that no sugar the morning of, and that I do not have to fast? Now I am confused, and I can't call because it is in the morning at 10:50am!

Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

You must be doing the 1 hour screening? The instructions vary widely with that one. Some say you should fast. Some say you have a meal a couple of hours before. Sorry, I can't be more helpful. If you're going to eat though, I wouldn't eat anything within the 2 hours before the test and I would also limit any sugars too and stay aware from cereal..... But, I can't point to a particular source that tells you that......

If you don't pass it, you'll probably be asked to do the 3 hour one - that is a fasting test. Make sure you bring something along with you to eat for right after. I didn't and couldn't eat right away and ended up with a blood sugar of 46, an hour after the test ended. I got it back up quickly, but it couldn't have been good......

Old 08-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

KyMom -- Yeah, sounds like the one hour test to me. My doc's staff didn't give me ANY instructions and set my appt. for 1 pm. When I started doing some web research on it I found a wide variety of ideas on what you should to prepare for it, from completely fasting for 12 hours to doing nothing and eating a normal meal just before you go.

For me, since my appt. was at 1pm I had to eat SOMETHING, so I had my normal bowl of cereal (oat bran... no raisin bran for me that day!) and milk at about 7am. After that I just drank water. I mentioned this regimen to the nurse and she was kinda PO'd at me that I hadn't eaten right before the test (almost like she wanted me to fail... but I know I'm just being paranoid) since she hadn't given me specific instructions on it. She said "if I don't give you instructions than there is nothing special you have to do. Got that?" Like I am four years old. sheesh.

My test was last Wednesday. I drank the orange drink (not great, but not as bad as drinking the colonoscopy prep stuff or the barium for a GI CT scan, either) at the doctor's office at the start of my regular 2-week checkup, had the checkup, then went to a lab a few miles away to have them draw blood. The nurse noted on the lab form the exact time they were draw the blood ("draw at 2:06 pm") as if their clock was EXACTLY the same... ha! The lab then had to send it out, so I'm assuming they didn't test it until Friday. I didn't hear from my doctor yet, and won't make any assumptions until Wednesday. No news is good news, in his world. So if I don't hear from him, I'm good to go.

Good luck on your screening!

Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 AM   #12
(female)

KyMom2Be HB User

Thanks!! Well I was planning on sleeping in til time to get ready to go, but of course I got up with the husband when he went to work, and now I can't sleep!! and of course IM STARVING, so I think I might have some eggs, they wrote on my appt. card: NO Sugar, this should be a fun day, will let ya know how it goes!!

Closed Thread