It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User
Question Exercise during pregnancy

I was wondering how much exercise you can do during early pregnancy. I work out about 3 days a week in moderate intensity. Is there a certain heartrate we're not to go over? Does 140 sound right?

My first doctor's appt won't be for another 3 more weeks, and I don't think I can wait that long to find out the answer.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
(female)

getting_tubby HB User
Re: Exercise during pregnancy

i read recently that during the most intense part of your workout, you should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping for breath, though not with complete ease either.

i was very active prior to becoming pregnant & even before i missed my af i found myself incredibly dizzy if i tried to keep my workouts at the same intensity as before. i've stopped going to the gym & i just do lots of gentle stretching at home & walk about 30-40 minutes per day/4 times a week.

i don't know about heartrate, but hopefully the "talk test" will help you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User

I've heard that a hr of 140 used to be the general guideline, but now they recognize that every individual is different, so using a single max hr for everyone isn't the best way to gauge. I go by the 'talk test' that getting_tubby suggested, and I also have taken down my regular workouts from high intensity elliptical machine for 40 minutes to 40 minutes walking at about 3.5 mph, sometimes changing the incline if I'm on a treadmill (or looking for some hilly places if walking outside). I stopped playing tennis, not because I shouldn't be doing it, but because I would feel dizzy/nauseous after about 10 minutes. With cardio exercise I think the most important thing is to listen to your body and not push yourself beyond what's comfortable.

I also still lift weights, but have reduced the amount of weight - I read that during pg a hormone called 'relaxin' is released and it can cause loosening of the joints... if I were to continue using weights that cause me to strain, I could risk joint injury.

Anyway, I hope some of that was helpful!

Old 08-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

I think it might be no more than 120, but make sure and check. Also make sure and not to overheat your body too and stay hydrated. I worked out through my whole pregnancy (had my bean June 28th of this year) and everything turned out fine.

Congratulations!

Closed Thread