It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

heathy_mama HB User
Dry nose

I am wondering which spray is safe to take for the dryness in the nose, mine it hurting pretty bad right now, burning.. im scared a nosebleed will start. I have Nasonex here at home and was wondering if anyone knows if this is safe to take? if not what is?? thanx!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
(female)

jackiejetta_84 HB User
Re: Dry nose

My OB said that Ocean Nasal Spray is good and safe for whenever you are pg. I have never heard of it b4, but I never had a problem with nose stuff, so, maybe you have! Good luck!

~Jackie~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User

Nasonex is a category C drug, and is typically used for allergies, so probably will do just the opposite - dry out your nose even more. If it's just dryness that you're dealing with and not allergies or congestion, you might want to try an otc saline nasal spray - I think most drug stores (like rite aid, cvs, etc) have their own generic brand. It's just saline and doesn't contain any drugs that are meant to target allergies or nasal congestion. I'd definitely check with doc, though. Also, a key to taking nasal spray that my doc told me is to aim the spray nozzle toward the outer wall of your nostril (not straight up), and don't inhale right when you spray. Instead, pinch closed the bottom of your nose right after you spray and tilt your head back for about 20 seconds. That gives the spray the chance to penetrate the nostril membrane and do it's work.

Anyway, hope that's helpful!

Old 08-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
(female)

mum2three HB User

Saline sprays are actually to put moisture back in nasal passages, and are medicine free. There are different brands, as long as they are just saline you should be fine. I keep it with me at all times. I have found the best is actually saline gel. It lasts a lot longer than the spray. Rite aid carries the gels. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
(female)

mum2three HB User

Posted twice

Last edited by mum2three; 08-19-2006 at 04:16 PM.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
(female)

jamckit HB User

The saline nose sprays work well. It takes a few days before you will see any results.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

My doctor told me that NasalCrom is fine to use... it's an over-the-counter medicine. I also use saline spray, though I've found that the brands that have a long, pointy nozzle (like the prescription ones do) instead of just a short, stout squirt-bottle type nozzle are more effective and pleasant to use. On another thread the ladies told me about a saline GEL that also worked well.

I asked my doctor about going back on Rhinocort... but he said no since all of the Rx nasal sprays are cortocosteroids and are class C meds... no, no, no if you are preggo since they can cause pre-term labor.

I also bought some creamy vasoline and I put some on the outside of my nostrils and on the first tiny bit inside my nose before I go to bed. It really seems to help since nighttime is worse than anything else.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User

even though all Rx nasal sprays are class C, staying on them or going off them is a decision each individual has to make w/her doctor. My doc wants me to stay on it (though try a lower dose) because my allergies are so severe that there could be negative consequences if I have a severe outbreak, and the combination of rhinocort + claritin (class B) seems to keep it in check. If I go off either one, I have serious outbreaks to the point of difficulty breathing. plus, my allergist and ob/gyn both said that pg often can exacerbate allergies and asthma. so in my case, according to my doc, that's a greater risk to my baby at this point (I'm 7 weeks). yeah, it sucks to have to knowingly take a med that could cause complications, but it's all a matter of balancing the relative risk (i.e., I'd prefer not to risk depriving my baby of oxygen if at all possible!).

but if it's just a matter of nose dryness, I imagine the Rx nasal sprays aren't necessary. so, healthy_mama - what did you decide to do??

Old 08-21-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Good point, Suesy. There are always those instances where a doctor decides that the risk to the baby are worth it due to other medical concerns in the mother. But in general, class C drugs are not prescribed for pregnant women. I take Zyrtec (class B) everyday for allergies as well...

Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
(female)

stct1 HB User

Hi-
I was wondering how your baby was. I took rhinecort because it is a class B drug and the OBGYN did not tell me that it had any risks. Is your baby ok? I am very worried about my baby now.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
(female)

stct1 HB User

Hi-

I was wondering if your baby was fine. I took rhinecort because I was told it was approved for pregnancy. I had no idea there were any risks. Now I am concerned for the health of my baby. Please let me know if yours was ok. Thank you

Closed Thread