It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User
Epidural vs. Natural birth?

I was wondering what everyone else was planning? If I could have it my way, I'd prob take the easy way out and go for the Epi. But because of my back surgery it might be more risky, so I might have to end up going the natural route. My mom told me it's no big deal because they didn't have them 24 years ago when she had me. I dunno though, I'm nervous thinking about it.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Epidural vs. Natural birth?

In my experience, my epidurals were like God's gift to laboring women! I had one when I had our older son who is almost 27 and I was in transition when I got it. I vote why be in pain when you don't have to be?!

Ask your OB doctor about any potential problems you previous back surgery could cause. You might be sent to talk with an anesthesiologist as those doctors do the epidurals where I've been. You may be worrying about nothing.

Enjoy your pregnancy! Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

my plan was to do my up most to go natural but if i needed it then an epi so me and ds were more relaxed by the delivery. however you don't always get what you want i had ds dellivered a month early by section because of my health in pregnancy. always looka nd read about all eventualities of birth i was not prepared for what i got at all.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I'm more than likely going to get some sort of pain medication, I have a very low pain tolerance, so I'm pretty much going to need it so I'm not ripping other peoples' heads off, lol. There are options other than an epidural, I believe there's even some that they can adminster through an IV, so you may want to discuss that with your doc.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

I had natural with my first 2 pregnancys but I would'nt say no to an epi if the pain was too bad I actually asked for an epi my 2nd preg but the labour and delivery was so quick I never had time, I am due any time now with my 3rd and again I will try the natural but if it gets too bad then I will ask for an epi

Old 08-21-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
(female)

GloryGurl HB User

Hi There, If you are interested in having an epi then as the previous poster had said, talk to your OB about it. He/she may refer you to speak with the anesthesiologist about it as they are the ones who administer the epidurals.
Also, it may not be a bad idea to consult with the doctor who did your actual back surgery to see if you would be a candidate for the epi.

So many women have had really good luck with the epidurals, however unfortunately i am not one of them. I have 5 children and had all of them natural with the exception of my last delivery. I had decided to try the epi but for me it was a big mistake and suffered complications from it. There are just some women who just arent candidates for it. There was just no way to know that i would suffer complications from the epi prior to having it done.

Because of the complications that i had please dont let it deter you from having an epi should you be a candidate for one. You may be one of those women who it works very well for.

Good luck to you,
Glory

Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

It's really a personal choice. Doing it one way or the other doesn't make it any more or less of an experience. I chose to have an epidural. However, in my case........my epi didn't work for either of my kids. My 1st was c-section and it did work during my labor, but wore off as soon as they started my section. With my 2nd one....I knew I had problems with it the first time around, but I was in so much pain that I was willing to try it again anyway. It worked for about 15 minutes (my labor was a total of 26 hours). In the end, I was glad that I didn't have the epidural because I felt so in control of what I was doing. I can't imagine pushing a baby out when you cannot feel anything.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i just wanted to add i got the spinal block for my urgent section and i has no problems and neither ds, had we not had this we were both at risk of death. i know which i fear the greatest.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

barton....are you saying you weren't numb for your c-section??????

Old 08-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

gosh...being a first time mother (in december) i'm hoping i'm one of the lucky ones that gets numb with the epi and stays that way thru the labor....have been reading so many people's responses lately that their epi wore off or didn't work! very scared! don't like pain!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
(female)

mommyamsing2b HB User

Getting an epi doubles your chances of a c-section and you can't get out of bed to move around, the more you move around the more your baby moves down. There are other coping skills that you could try or other drugs. That is just my opinion though.

Besides what did women do 100, 000 years ago

Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

I LOVEEED my epi and wouldn't have it any other way. I had no issues pushing (delivered my 8 pound baby in 1 hour) as a first time mother. When it came time for me to push, the doc let up on my epi so I could feel VERY mild contractions---felt like very light minor menstral cramps---so I would know when to push. So, in my experience, I felt the contractions just enough to know when to push, but I did NOT feel ANY pain at all. I didn't feel crowning, stretching or anything like that--which was fine with me--just pressure! It was wonderful for me. Only you know what you and your body can handle mentally and physically. Don't rule out anything until you're in that labor room going through the process.

Good luck!

Last edited by Infinitum; 08-23-2006 at 02:13 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyamsing2b
Getting an epi doubles your chances of a c-section and you can't get out of bed to move around, the more you move around the more your baby moves down. There are other coping skills that you could try or other drugs. That is just my opinion though.

Besides what did women do 100, 000 years ago

VERY TRUE!!!!!!! No epi for me!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchak99
barton....are you saying you weren't numb for your c-section??????
Well, I was numb when I was brought in for surgery, but it began wearing off as soon as they starting cutting me. My doc couldn't believe that I was feeling anything more than pressure, cause I guess pressure is normal to feel. So, he began poking me (with a scapula) to see if I felt anything and I could tell him exactly where I was being poked (during all this I was screaming and crying and my blood pressure was rising).

So after all that they had to stop the surgery to put me to sleep. So, to answer your question, I did NOT feel anything after that point cause I was put to sleep. But until they put me to sleep I felt everything and my pain level was through the roof!!!

Because of all that.............I was determined to go for VBAC with my 2nd child cause I felt absolutely robbed of my childbirthing experience with my 1st (cause I was sleeping when she was born). I didn't want to be put to sleep to deliver my 2nd.......and in the end, I wasn't cause I delivered him vaginally (again with an epi that didn't work).

Old 08-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchak99
gosh...being a first time mother (in december) i'm hoping i'm one of the lucky ones that gets numb with the epi and stays that way thru the labor....have been reading so many people's responses lately that their epi wore off or didn't work! very scared! don't like pain!
Most everyone that I know that has had an epi had success with it. In my case, I don't know why it didn't work for me. Like I said before, during my 1st labor, it worked the entire time (my labor was 13 hrs before I went in for my section). My 2nd labor.....it only worked for about 15 minutes (out of 26 hours).

To help ease your mind though.......pain meds have never really had any effect on me. It must be something with my body. I can't even have dental work without having pain cause the novacaine doesn't completely numb me (and that is after the maximum dosage of novacaine......so much novacaine that I shake). So, I guess I'm just immune to pain meds

Closed Thread