It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

smsm HB User
Pregnancy and Chiropractic

Hi Ladies , I am back who those still remember me.
I am now pregnant with my seconed baby , I just made my HPT and it is +ve, I am with a chiropractor from 2 months , my Question is it safe to continue this therapy or not? , really I asked her and she said it is safe before getting pregnant , during pregnancy and after . but still I want to be confirmed , I am going twice a week , may be I still need another 2 months to fix sublaxations in my back .
if any one knows it would be great .

Thanks in advance .

Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Chiropractic

As long as they know that you're pregnant, it should be fine. Many women see a chiropractor during pregnancy; there's even a special technique some chiros can do to help pregnant women whose pelvic bone is misaligned - which is something I wish I could get taken care of before I deliver, but alas, money is too tight right now so I just have to suck it up, lol. But seriously, just make sure they know that you're pregnant so they can make certain accomodations with the table and how they actually adjust you, and you should be just fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

What does your OB say about it? He/she might have a differing point of view... in which case you either need to get a new OB or drop the chiro. You definitely don't want to not tell either one about the other, IMHO.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I am 26 weeks pregnant and have been going to my chiropractor the entire time. I go twice a month and feel great. As long as your chiropractor knows how to treat pregnant women, it is fine. I have noticed my chiropractor's technique has changed as I have been growing. He never adjusts me on my stomach but still manages to adjust me while I am on my back.

Just communicate with your chiropractor and your OB about your health and things should be fine.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

My chiro and his wife are young as are his co-workers so it seems there's always someone pg at their office . They strongly encourage continued care throughout pg and after delivery (he and his wife have 3 children...their youngest is not quite a year).

I plan on going once per week or every other week throughout my pg. My last two babies were posterior and I'm hoping it will help with baby's positioning this time.

My OB (as well as my plethora of other drs) all support and encourage it.

Kelly

Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
(female)

smsm HB User

Thanks alot Ladies for your replies .
really my OBG appointment atill after 4 weeks , may be I need to call him , I told my Chiro that I am pregnant , she said it is safe for me and the baby , I am now 5 weeks pregnant but she still adjusts me on my stomach, may be still early to worry if I lie down on my belly !
anyways thanks alot and I will call my OBG.

GOOD LUCK , WISHING ALL OF YOU HEALTHY BABIES

Old 08-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

SMSM - I did get adjusted on my stomach in the early stages but I noticed he was careful with my lower back area. Now that I have a belly, he adjusts me while I lie on my back.

I also do strength training for my back and arms with a personal trainer at the office. I have even gotten a few massages from the massage therapist too. I started out with some bad tailbone pain in my first trimester and it has completely gone away. I feel that all the care I have received has helped me. I believe the care is very important - esp. since medication was not an option. Best of luck!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
(female)

smsm HB User

KeltoKel

I started to have severe lower back pain the last 5 days , I went to the Chiro yesterday , she still adjusts me on my stomach and she push my lower back down 3 times , I asked her is this safe for the baby , she said yes ! , what do you think , is your chiro doing the same with your lower back ??

Thanks alot.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I noticed mine hasn't adjust the very lower back and hip areas. I don't know why though - maybe mine was just being overly cautious.

If you trust your chiropractor and she has worked with other pregnant women, I am sure you are fine. You might want to ask her what to expect now that you are pregnant - like what is off limits when it comes to your adjustments, etc. Also ask her how she will adjust you once you have a belly.

Just ask your chiropractor what are the do's and dont's when being adjusted and see what she tells you. If she were to say, "Oh....nothing is off limits...I can continue to do all the same things...." then I would be weary. I asked my massage therapist this question and she told me that the feet and ankles were off limits. I never asked my chiropractor b/c I feel very safe with him. Plus, he has done wonders for my back. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #10
(female)

smsm HB User

KeltoKel

Thank you for your reply.
really I trust my chiro. , but you know may be she used this technique because I told her I have such severe pain in my lower back ( the sacrum ), but today I am much more better, I will go next week and I will ask her about her limits lol , as you said .

I appreciate your help

Closed Thread