It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

oohjo56 HB User
Delivery & Tubal Ligation

I am due with my third child on 4/4/07 and I have decided to go ahead and have my tubes tied after delivery. They said that after birth, they will take me to the operating room and be put to sleep for the 10 minute procedure where they go through your belly button. Does anyone know anyone that has had this done the same day as the delivery and if there were any complications/side effects anything I should know?

Thanks
Jo
EDD 4/4/07 #3

Old 08-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Delivery & Tubal Ligation

Everyone that I know has had this done a few weeks after delivery, not the same day. I guess it was so that they could spend time with their new baby and not have to be worried about having surgery right after having a baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
(female)

GloryGurl HB User
Re: Delivery & Tubal Ligation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohjo56
I am due with my third child on 4/4/07 and I have decided to go ahead and have my tubes tied after delivery. They said that after birth, they will take me to the operating room and be put to sleep for the 10 minute procedure where they go through your belly button. Does anyone know anyone that has had this done the same day as the delivery and if there were any complications/side effects anything I should know?

Thanks
Jo
EDD 4/4/07 #3
Hi There, I had my tubal done immediately after delivery just as you are planning. I chose to do it this way so that i didnt have to go back to the hospital after i had the baby. I figured that as long as i was there for delivery i would go ahead and have it done that way i didnt have 2 different recovery periods (recovering after delivery and then again after the tubal). Having the tubal done didnt require ANY additional stay time at the hospital and didnt really add that much more physical discomfort. I didnt experience any complications or adverse side effects from doing it this way. ( Other than the fact that the day i had my tubal done was the 4th of July and i was stuck in the hospital! LOL)

One piece of advice i will give you is after you have your tubal and are allowed to get up and move around on your own, KEEP MOVING AROUND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. The more i moved around and walked, the better i felt. It minimized the discomfort sooooo much. When i felt the MOST discomfort is after laying in bed sleeping for the night, when i would get up in the morning in and around the incision site (naval) i would have like a "tightness" or a "stiff" (for a lack of better words) type of pain. However, once up and moving around the discomfort would go away and i felt great!

I used to work in Labor and Delivery for quite a few years and it was a common practice for many women to have a tubal immediately after delivery before they left the hospital. You would see this practiced more often but many insurance companies wont pay for the tubal until the patient is "pre-approved" for the procedure as well as being 6 weeks post delivery.

I think that you will be very glad that you had the procedure done while you were already there. Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck!

Glory

Closed Thread