It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User
Unhappy Another stretch mark question

I'm only 25 weeks and I'm already starting to get stretch marks....they look scary.

I've been using Palmer's cocoa butter so far, but I've read somewhere that breaking a vit. E capsule and spreading the gel over the marks reduces them and prevents them. Has anyone heard of this???

Also, is it safe to spread the vit. E over my stomach??? I know I can't ingest it but I thought putting on my skin would be okay.

Also, anyone know of any other remedies or surgeries that I can do (either during pregnancy or after birth)??

Do people normally get them so early?

Any help would be so appreciated!!!! They look so bad and depressing.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: Another stretch mark question

i just look at them as love marks.
there is nothing you can do to prevent them, it doesn't matter what products may tell you. it is something passed on. ask your mom, she probably got them in the same places. i did. and i used every product and took babyoil baths every night. still got 'em.
as far as the vitamin e thing, i would ask your dr. because everything you put on your skin is absorbed. if you aren't suppose to take it by mouth, then i wouldn't put it on your belly, but i don't know, so ask the dr. to be sure.
and they will fade, it will take time, but they will fade. i have heard of surgeries that reduce the apperance, but they don't take away the grove that they made.
and i know they are depressing and sad to look at, but i just tell myself that they are worth it. Look what i have now. A beautiful baby!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

mammajess HB User

I also started getting strechmarks early. around 22 weeks. and they haven't stopped. I have put Palmers coca butter on my tummy and sides and bum since the beganing of my pregnancy. I have heard of vit. E and haven't heard anything about it being unsafe to rub on your belly. But honestly there isn't much you can do for the strechmarks. If you're gunna get them them you're gunna get them. The lotions do help a little with the elastisity(sp?) of your sink but it won't prevent them... Sorry to break the bad new They only get worse . I continue to use the coca in hopes it is helping some. Good luck

Old 08-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
(female)

Mommy's Girl HB User

My mother had terrible stretch marks with her pregnancies and I have her skin so expected to get them as well. I tried the coco butter but the smell made me sick so I finally went to Whoe Foods to look for something with a more holistic approach. I found an oil blend and it's called something like "A Woman's Blend" or "A Mother's Blend." Anyway, I tried using it on my skin everyday and it was really hard to spread so now I put it on right after I am done showering, while I'm still in the shower before I even dry off then I let my skin air dry while I continue to get ready. It spreads really easily when you are warm and still wet from the shower. I know they say it's hereditary and I actually have old stretch marks from when I gained weight when I was younger so I know my skin is prone to them but, I haven't gotten one stretch mark and I really believe it's because of this oil blend. I am at 36w6d and have gained 26 pounds (all in my belly) and my skin is beautiful. The oil doesn't transfer onto my clothes and it makes my skin really soft and supple. I put it on my upper legs, behind, thighs, upper arms, breasts and all over my belly and lower back and then rub it in really well. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by Mommy's Girl; 08-22-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

This may sound silly but I feel like stretch marks are all about luck. My mother didn't get them with her pregnancies, my older sister also did not get them with her pregnancies BUT with my first pregnancy I was striped like a zebra and still am for that matter since they don't really go away just kinda fade a bit. I even tried all the remedies the coco butter and even utter cream yep utter cream! I've grown used to them and acutally don't mind them so much.... it's the ones on my arms from gaining and losing weight that bother me!

Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

While were on the subject. I am 37 weeks and haven't gotten any so far but my mom has them. I am built just like her, same skin and hair...everything.She had 2 children and this is my first, I wonder if that makes a difference. I wonder if I will still get them???? I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

It's all in the genetics. You're either going to get them or not. Plain and simple as that. The lotions and creams can make you more comfortable and less itchy, but they're not going to prevent them.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I have really bad stretchmarks. My 1st pregnancy, all of my stretchmarks were on my abdomen from the belly button down and on my hips and thighs. I put everything under the sun to try to help them out.......and NOTHING worked. With my 2nd pregnancy, all of my stretchmarks were above the belly button.........and again, I figured I'd give all the creams and lotions another try........and again NOTHING worked. I began getting stretchmarks during my 4th or 5th month of pregnancy both times.

So, now...........I'm left with a road map from my boobs down to my thighs and onto my hips. It used to bother me, but now I am ok with it. Sorry to break the bad news to ya!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Mommyís Girl----"Mother's Special Blend" is a great product! Glad you found a product you like! I used throughout my whole pregnancy and absolutely LOVED IT. My mother got stretch marks with my brother and I, my grandmothers did---basically everyone down the line---but I didn't get one single one. So, I don't buy the heredity thing---or at least I'm the exception and it doesn't apply to me.

Suggestions (they may or may not work, but worked for me):

1. apply Mother's Special Blend Oil all over breasts, belly, butt and thighs after every shower---everyday.

2. exfoliate belly, butt, thighs and breasts during every shower with exfoliating gloves or rag.

3. try to not gain unnecessary weight (I gained approx 17 pds---had a healthy 8 pound baby boy this June)

4. Workout at least 3 days a week--cardio and strength training (I know it just sucks on some days, but just get out and do it---you'll feel better too)

5. DON'T scratch you breasts or belly when they start to itch!! I know it's hard, but DO NOT---scratching causes the fibers in the skin to break apart----making it more likely for you to get stretch marks OR if you have them already will make them bigger and more visible---absolutely did not scratch---God was it hard! lol My mother who did get stretch marks said she remembers scratching all the time

6. Keep hydrated with water

That's all I can think of as preventative maintenance. They may OR may not help---but what the heck---worth a try!

Good Luck!

Last edited by Infinitum; 08-24-2006 at 09:42 AM.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User

I just ordered Mother's Special Blend and will get it next week. Will this product at least reduce the stretch marks I've already gotten and prevent more, or is it too late for me????

Old 08-25-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
(female)

Mommy's Girl HB User

Infinitum- you made some really good suggestions and I will say that I have followed almost the same regimen and still no stretch marks. One thing I never thought of that you mentioned is the water consumption. I drink a ton of water! I had started drinking a lot of water in my first tri-mester because my skin broke out terribly and I was hoping it would help my acne. After a couple of weeks I noticed that my skin had a much more supple, soft texture. I'm sure that has something to do with it as well. I have gained almost 30 lbs and it's all in my belly so I'm shocked that I still havent' gotten any stretch marks. I really do believe it has to do with the Mothers Special Blend and water consumption.

Nancy30- I can't say wether it will help the ones you already have but if you start using it immedialtely, every day, it may prevent new ones which is better than nothing. Like I mentioned, I use it while I am still wet in the shower and I don't just spread it on, I massage it in. I take the time to really work it into my skin, it takes me about 5 minutes to get it really worked in then I let my skin dry naturally. If there is any excess oil you can dab it off but I don't and it has never gotten on or ruined my clothes. I really hope this works for you. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Mommy's Girl; 08-25-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User

I was planning on using Mother's blend when I shower in the morning and then Palmer's concentrated cream in the afternoon and at night. Does that sound like a good regimine???

Do you use Mother's blend more than once per day????

Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

I showered at night and put on mother's special blend. As my pregnancy progressed and I got bigger---I would put it would put it on at night safter I showered and in the morning.

I think as long as you keep oiled up, you should be fine! This "Mother's Special Blend" is an oil, but it's not greasy creepy feeling like other oils and creams and it doesn't stain clothes----son don't worry about that---unless you just dump it all over your clothes! hehe Shake it well also before using as some of the blend settles at the bottom---looks kind of white'ish and if you can, warm it---run it under hot water for a minute---but not neccessary. Makes it easier to massage into the skin.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
(female)

Mommy's Girl HB User

I have never found it necessary to use it more than once a day. My tummy stays nice and soft all day long when I apply it really well in the morning and give my body time to dry naturally and absorb the oil before I dress. Infinitum is right about it not being yucky oily. I love looking at my belly after I get out of the shower. They oil makes is smooth and shiny My husband thinks it's beautiful too.
Just remeber that everyone is different, do what you feel most comfortable with. I think the most important thing to remember is that there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant belly, stretch marks or not. I know it's hard to deal with especially with the vanity that we are all faced with on a daily basis but I feel that being a mother and carrying this precious little life inside of you is the most important thing we get to do as women. So, every little imperfection that we earn in this process can be a forever reminder of this amazing time that only we, as mothers, get to share with our children. Good luck, you are beautiful no matter what!

Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

nancy30 HB User

Thanks so much for all the advice!

Closed Thread