It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
Owen Conor is here!!!!!

Hi everyone

I had my C-section on last Wednesday (4 weeks early, my due date was not until Sept 10) and my long awaited beautiful baby boy arrived on Aug. 16th at 3:36PM. He was 7 lbs 13 oz and 20 3/4 inches long with lots of dark brown hair like his daddy.

The epidural hurt so bad and I cried and cried before they brought me into surgery because I was so scared. Once in the OR, My husband sat next to me and began talking to me about all the fun we were going to have with the baby and I didn't even realize they had started the section until the baby was almost out! I did feel some pushing and pressure but no pain. Soon they said, Wow look how much hair he has! Then they pulled him out and said "He is so huge!" I then heard him cry and my husband said, do you hear that? My first baby was stillborn last year and half ago, so when I heard him cry I cried to and was saying He's alive ! over an over. I got to see him and kiss his soft little face before they took him to weigh and bathe.

He had a lot of problems, such as breathing too fast, bad congestion, low blood sugar. He ended up in NICU a few hours later due to the very low blood sugar. I was so down about not being able to see him until the next day. They did offer to take out my tubes and have me go see him 12 hours later, but I was in too much pain to get out of bed. I was having a lot of trouble with pain control. Nothing worked, not the epidural in my back still which I could control, not the morphine pump which I could control, not the delaudded either. Finally they gave me toredol which helped tremendously but they could only give it every 6 hours and it wore off in like 2 hours. So I spent the first night in serious pain, crying and moaning. By the next day they took me off all the IV and pumps and switched to percaset by pill and that helped the most combined with motrin.

As for Owen, it pained me that he was in NICU and was being fed by IV. Then they began giving him formula which killed me because I wanted to breastfeed and that was my plan and there was nothing I could do. I kept being reassured that he was a healthy baby and they were getting the blood sugar up. They then moved him to the special care nursery as he got better, but he was having a hard time eating and not taking the bottle too well. He lost a lot of weight, 10 oz. in a few days. So they were feeding him preemie high calorie formula. Everyday they kept saying tomorrow he could join me in my room but he never did. By Saturday he developed jaundice and they had to do the light therapy for 2 days. I thought I would have to go home without him on Sunday and cried all morning about it. But they discharged him with me sunday night and I was so happy to take him home. We spent the last few days doing some serious bonding, loving and cuddling. He is eating much better. I am pumping my milk and mixing it with his forumula for now, they really want to see him gain some of that weight back. I do try to breastfeed but he is very resistant to it. Totally different nipple. It bothers me that I have to bottle feed for now, I will be working on transitioning him to the breast when he is able to go off the high cal formula. It will be difficult and frustrating for both of us. But he does have a strong sucking ability. He has breastfed 2 or 3 times but not for vrery long.

Anyhow, we are all doing very well for now, he is so beautiful and perfect and sweet, I couldn't ask for a better baby. He was our hope after we lost our first baby and it is so wonderful to finally be a mom!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

mum2three HB User
Re: Owen Conor is here!!!!!

Hope,
Congratulations to you and your baby boy. What a relief it must be for you and DH.
Was there a reason they did your c/s so early? Boy what a bg boy for 4 weeks early. Can you imagine how big he would've been if he was full term? I bet it was an axious time until you heard his cries. I am very glad he came home with you,less anxiety.
Good luck, and I would try to offer the breast first, then the formula. But I would go with what they tell ya, as if he doesn't nurse or suck long he won't get the rich milk from your breast. From what I understand, the first 10-15 minues of nursing is watery milk to hydrate, then comes the "real" milk. I was told with my first 2 that if they only nurse for 15-20 mins at a time, to feed from 1 breast, and the next time the other. Sorry I didn't intend to be so long winded. Good luck and enjoy the little things. They grow up soooo quick.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

i remember you so well and i am so happy for you that everything went good for you and that you now have your baby safe and sound at home with you! i cant imagine how it must have felt for you! but he is such a big boy! my dd was born at 39 weeks and was 8lbs 2oz. wow! i am so sorry that you guys had a rough start but now that you are home im sure things will go more smoothly. keep trying with the breast feeding, it is so worth it if you can do it. but if things dont work out dont worry about it. just keep trying and its great that you are pumping. keep letting him suckle because that will help you and your supply even if he doesnt get milk out. let him suck between bottles and at night. if he takes a paci i would maybe take it away some of the time so that he can use you for a paci and help with your production. there is a ton of help for this on the infant boards if you need advice/help. good luck and take care!congratulations on your new baby boy!!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
(female)

sousou HB User

SOOO HAPPY for you !!!congrat!!!and sorry for the hard time you went through...but now it is all behind you...try as much as you can to breastfeed your baby...mom's milk is so rich and precious !!! enjoy and God bless your family!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

sousou HB User

SOOO HAPPY for you !!!congrat!!!and sorry for the hard time you went through...but now it is all behind you...try as much as you can to breastfeed your baby...mom's milk is so rich and precious !!! enjoy and God bless your family!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
(female)

sousou HB User

Old 08-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
(female)

sousou HB User

Old 09-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #8
(female)

lesleykev HB User

hiya hope
congratulations on your baby boy ,
me and my husband were in the same situation about a year and a bit ago our daughter was stillborn and in june our son was born by c-section you may remember us from past posts he was 5lbs and 5ounces and is called nathan mark he has brown hair and greeny blue eyes like his daddy and is lovely .
congratulations again on your lovely baby boy

Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
(female)

moonangel007 HB User

aww!! i love the name owen!! welcome to the world owen conor!! congrats to all!!

Closed Thread