It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User
Wink Amnio question

Hi Ladies ! Ok, just turned 35 on June 30. I am in my seventh week of pregnancy and i'm wondering on your thoughts of having an amnio. done ? Been reading about risks, blah blah blah... I know that stats. say that 1 out of 100 can have a miscarriage due to having this procedure done. OK... i am also aware of the benifits of having one done too. HELP !!! My dr. refuses to give me any advise, saying that it is me and my husband's decision to have one done or not. She also pointed out the fact that i " JUST turned 35 too" like to hint that i'm still fairly young ( LOL )

Any advise would be awesome !!

Old 09-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User
Re: Amnio question

Hi there,

I totally understand your dilemma. I am having a CVS test done in a couple of weeks. I am 27 years old and I think that it is important to have the testing done atleast in my situation. My sisters all had amnios or a CVS done with each of their pregnancies. My oldest sister was 28 when she was pregnant with her 3rd child when she got the results back from her amnio and she was carrying a baby with a triple translocation. It was a fluke thing...neither her or her husband had any genetic abnormalities (they had testing done after). The baby didn't survive the pregnancy not b/c of having the amnio but b/c of a spontaneously m/c. They told her that the baby probably would have not survived life longer than a year at the longest. It is you and your dh's decision only. But there are risk factors of being over 30 and especially over 35 with having genetic abnormalities. I personally am having the CVS test done which they do that at 10 weeks just so I am prepared and b/c of family history. My dr. also agrees that I should have the testing done. I am not saying that I would do anything but I would just want to know. There are risks but it is rare. At the genetics doctor I am going to you first meet with the genetics counselor and then you have the procedure afterwards the same day. I know with the CVS you get the results back within a week but I think the amnio is sooner. Think about what you want. If something were to be wrong would you want to know beforehand? Good luck deciding on what to do. It is definately a scary thing. I will be thinking about you.

Koukla

P.S. the procedures are suppossively painless too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I'm only 23 and I had an amnio done, because my quad screen came back showing me at an elevated risk for a child with Down's, even though there's no sort of family history on either side of any genetic defects. It's a very personal decision to make, and certainly not one you need to make right now - you won't even have your quad screen done until around 16 weeks, and everything could come back completely fine on that...but if you do decide to do it, the risk of miscarriage is less than 1%, they guide the needle using ultrasound so that they can stay as far away from the baby as possible....and it doesn't hurt, it's a little uncomfortable though. It takes two weeks to get the results back.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
(female)

unadventurous HB User

Hi,
I was in the same boat as Stace, my blood test came back with some high numbers... but I also turned 35 about a month after I found out I was pregnant. My doctor was like yours, she said that only I could make the decision.

I was dead set against amnio from the beginning so I decided to have the nuchal fold test done and a level two ultrasound. Then they found a soft marker for Downs on the baby and that coupled with the blood test made me very worried. So after a lot of consideration my husband and I decided to do the amnio after all. It turned out everything was okay with the baby and we were happy to know.

I have no regrets about doing the amnio, because it stopped me from wondering for the next 24 weeks. The test itself was pretty painless except for some cramping. (My nerves were the worst part of all) If I decide to have another baby after this one I will opt for the amnio instead of all the other tests I had done first, because the waiting was the hardest part of all.

Good luck and take care.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I'll be 35 when the baby is born, so my doc gave me the option on whether to get the amnio or not. He said they wouldn't even do the quad screen since the numbers would come back as "higher risk" due to my age, so why waste the money doing it...

I decided to do the amnio so that I could be prepared in case something was wrong. I could read and educate myself on any problems and figure out in advance how to deal with them. Additionally, since the nearest Level 3 NICU is 2.5-3 hours away, I wanted to know if there was a problem in case I needed to deliver there instead of at my local hospital where there is a Level 2 NICU. I didn't want to have to be in the situation where I was totally freaked out because something was wrong with the baby right after I was totally mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted from giving birth. We had some friends in their early 30s who had a Down's baby that was a surprise to them, and we've watched them having to deal with it all of a sudden instead of a in a calm, prepared way.

The amnio itself was no big deal. It was performed by a perinatalogist who does this all the time. They used the ultrasound to guide the needle placement. The entire procedure took about 10 minutes from the time the doc came in the door until he left. I had the level 2 ultrasound at the same visit. (It's a girl!) I had to rest for 24 hours after the procedure, but it wasn't painful (getting a tetanus shot was worse, as is giving blood) since it's pretty quick.

Three days after the amnio they genetic counselor called and said that the preliminary results for the three Trisomy defects (Down's, 18, and 21, I think) were negative and she confirmed that I was having a girl. But she had to qualify the gender part with "but I have to say that there is a possibility that we are just seeing female cells from maternal fluids instead of baby's fluids". Seven days after that she called to tell us that everything was totally fine with the baby and that she was definitely a female (two X chromosomes). It was really a relief! I was glad to know so early.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User

Thank you girls for all the great advise ! I have deffinately decided to have the amnio. done. Good luck to everyone and their precious little ones !!!

Closed Thread