It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Question No appointment until Oct.24??

According to the due date calculators on the internet, I am 5 weeks and 4 days along in my pregnancy. I just heard back from my doctors office today telling me that my first visit with the ob/gyn isn't until Oct. 24--at that point, I'm already past the first trimester! I live in Alberta, Canada, so I'm not sure how different things work here than in the states, but I'm pretty dissapointed I won't get to see anybody before then... Are the due date calculators on the internet accurate? I just punched in the first day of my last period and it said how far along I am. I guess I'm just worried about not having any expert medical attention for the first 3 months of my pregnancy.... Any thoughts???

Whiskers

Old 09-09-2006, 03:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
Re: No appointment until Oct.24??

In my experiences, that's pretty normal...I wasn't seen until I was in my 12th week, though I couldn't even call to schedule an appointment until close to that anyway due to insurance. But a lot of doctors won't see patients until around then, anyway, because aside from maybe doing an early ultrasound and prescribing prenatal vitamins, there's not much for them to do during the first trimester.

And yes, the due date calculators online are pretty accurate, considering that they can't tell when you actually ovulated or when the baby actually implanted, which is why you'll probably get an ultrasound at your first appointment. But the due date my doctor gave me is exactly the same as the one I got from online calculators.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

8 to 12 weeks is the norm for the first visit. Just make sure you're taking prenatal vitamins (anything you can find over the counter is fine, as long as it has folic acid).

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

smsm HB User

My OBG will see me when I am 9 weeks pregnant , I am now just taking Centrum + extra folic acid , and waiting to see the Dr , I didn't make any ultra sound , nothing , just waiting !

Old 09-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
(female)

pradasweets1983 HB User

Yes, i guess it depends upon the patients circumstances. With me I am almost 12 wks and my doc took me in right away when i was only about 4 1/2 5 weeks. I have already had three ultrasounds, which in my opinion they really arn't nessasary, if i am to lose the baby an ultrasound won't stop that ( even though I have to say it's still assuring and exciting to see the baby healthy) but he wanted to make sure how far along I was since I had a m/c very early june and never had a period after, I just got preg straight away so he wanted to see how far along I was. He has just been real cautious with me because I am a very fertile healthy, fit 22 year old and have had two m/c aldready. This is my third attempt, hopefully its a charm, but that is prob the only reason I keep going in for appt. If you haven't had a history of any lossed babies, then they usually take you in around the 12th week as that is the time when the chances of having a m/c lowers a lot. Good luck! just make sure you are eating very healthy, taking folic acid supplements and you can take over the counter pre-natal and drink or eat plenty of calcium!------Jess

Old 09-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Prada --

Yes, you have a higher risk pregnancy, so docs are going to watch you more closely, including doing more ultrasounds to check on viability of the fetus.

Good luck to everyone!

Christine

Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

I'm in Ontario, but your situation is standard here as well. I'll see my OBGYN at 13 and a 1/2 weeks. Apparently any issues that come up before then can be addressed by your family doctor.
Good luck!

Closed Thread