It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

amberlea434 HB User
Severe abdominal pain after childbirth

I'm writing this on behalf of my roommate who just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl this past Friday. Everything went fine until the day after the birth. She started having very severe abdominal pains, to the point where she would just lay in her hospital bed and cry. She said they felt as bad as labor contractions. The doctor told her it was probably her uterus contracting back to its normal size and gave her some pain meds and sent her home on Sunday. Last night, she calls me from the ER because the pains were still so severe. They ended up admitting her to run some tests. They ruled out UTI's, bladder and kidney infections and also did a CAT Scan and pelvic exam to rule out appendicitis. Now, they just have no idea what's wrong with her, so they're keeping her until they can figure it out. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of anything like this? We all thought it was appendicitis, so what else could it possibly be?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: Severe abdominal pain after childbirth

is it a constant pain or waves of pain?
you decribed it when she was in the hospital that they were like contractions.
to me it sounds like after birth pains.
is this her first baby?
that is the most painful thing. i had an epidural, so i didn't feel much pain, until after the birth of my children. and that is exactly what they feel like horrible horrible contractions. they hurt so bad i cried and cried and even vomited a few times from the pain. with my first baby, they lasted about 3 or 4 days, and with my second they lasted about 5 or 6 days. they were worse with my second baby.
it seems like the drs. could tell if that's what it was though, so i don't know.
could it be they missed some placenta?
did she have any complications during the birth or anything unusual to happen?
what are the drs. saying now?
good luck and i hope your friend gets better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rbettis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlea434
I'm ........what else could it possibly be?
Hi,
I just read on another post that a piece of placenta that is left inside after the birth can cause a lot of pain. But also a lot of bleeding.

I read from a lady that she was in so much (like contractions still) and when she went to the bathroom she felt something was coming out, and it was this big clog of placenta. She said she felt a relief right after.

Another husband posted that his wife had to be taken into emergency and they found out that placenta was also left inside. Apparently this can bring a lot of complications.

I don't have much answer. I am pregnant with my first baby so I don't know what is like to go into labor. But I have heard is really painful.

So all kind of epidurals will be very welcome with me... no pushing with pain for me ... nah nah.

Last edited by rbettis; 09-12-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
(female)

amberlea434 HB User

Thanks for your responses. And to answer your questions, lovemybabyboys...she said it's not a constant pain and that it does come in waves. This is her second child, her first born is 3, and she said she never experienced pain like this with her first -which is, obviously, why this is scaring her so much - It could possibly be that some placenta was left behind, but...I agree that the doctors should know if that's what, indeed, is wrong with her. Her actual childbirth went beautifully with no complications. I'm still waiting to hear back from her to see if they've figured anything else out.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
(female)

jakelewis HB User

Sounds like maybe part of the placenta could have been left.I know after dd I had some contrations as your uteras contracts back down but I don't know that I would really call it painful and it didn't really seem to last long.Please keep us updated and I hope your friend is ok.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
(female)

amberlea434 HB User

Well, she called me last night, telling me that they released her from the hospital. They can't figure out what's wrong with her and she's so upset. I told her how it could possibly be that some placenta was left behind and she was shocked, she didn't know that could happen. She's supposed to follow up with her original OB-GYN in a few days, so she said she would ask him about that. All she has now is some painkillers to help alleviate it for now. She also said they're not as bad when she's lying down or resting, so...hopefully they'll just pass on and not be anything serious. Thanks for all of your advice and help.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

if they did a catscan of her pelvic region, then they would have been able to see if any placenta was left in.
has her stomach gotten flat or extremely smaller since birth?
to me it still sounds like after birth pains.
mine went down extremely fast and the dr. said you must be contracting away. and i was, like i mentioned before i even vomited from the pain. it was horrible. and like i said, it was extremely worse with the second baby.
i think if it had been anything serious, the drs. would have found it. so hopefully that is all it is. but if it lasts much longer, because it has been 6 days, then she should definatley see her dr, because after birth pains should not continue to be that severe this long after.
good luck and take care.

Last edited by lovemybabyboys; 09-13-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Closed Thread