It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

shamrockcb HB User
Question how do you prepare for induction, physically and mentally?

Just found out after an appt today that the dr will induce for this upcoming Sunday based on the baby's size. I'm so nervous and its so weird KNOWING when the baby will come instead of it being unexpected. I am going to be a nervous wreck, any tips on how I can prepare?

Also, the dr said I can eat beforehand but was wondering what might be safe so I don't get nauseated or anything.

If anyone has been through this and can share tips I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: how do you prepare for induction, physically and mentally?

I had NO time to prepare.. I went early to a Dr's appt on a wednesday for a non stress test... Had my appointment, and was told "go straight to the hospital, we are going to induce."... Well! I stopped at Burger King with my husband, had a whopper meal (couldn't finish the fries, I was so nervous!) and was told by the person checking me in "how did you gain two pounds on the way to the hospital?" WHOOPS! haha! To me, the scary thing is knowing that at anytime, anywhere, my water is going to break and I'm going to start having contractions... How wonderful to know everything is happening in a contained area, where there are many dr's and nurses around to please my every need!! Best of luck to you.. Your little one will be here soon! Isn't it a wonderful feeling after so many weeks of being pregnant and waiting for your baby... He/She is coming!!! I wish you and your family well.. I can't wait to hear a wonderful birth story!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

sdjansen HB User

Ive heard of alot of women going into labor on thier own once they find out they are going to be induced, happened to a friend of mine, she had high blood pressure and was a few days away from her due date and they told her to come in the next morning to be induced. We hung out that night and told stories and took pictures and the next morning on the drive to the hospital her water broke and by the time she got to the doctor she was in labor. Some women actually choose to be induced so they can plan it better. Either way I wish you luck and a easy fast birth!

Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I was induced at 37 weeks with my first baby in March and sweetie, it's actually not as bad as it sounds. I was relaxed, excited and very prepared after my dr told me. I was sent home to pack and right to the hosptial to get induced the very next day. Unfortantly my body didn't take it so I was induced the following day and only labored for 11 hours, 9 without an epi! The pain of the pitocian does come on faster but thats what an epi is for. Good luck and don't be to nervous. If your dr said to go and ahead and eat, do it. I wasn't allowed too and still threw up (due to the epi, which I knew I would).

Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #5
(female)

JustGinger HB User

Hi, I was induced with my daughter and was scared to death! However, I was induced at 1:20 and had my precious little girl 6 1/2 hours later. Have the epidural, it helps!! I don't know how I would have gotten through without it. As for eating, I suggest something light. I had a bowl of special K and a banana before I went and a turkey sandwich when they finally moved me to my own room. I didn't get sick or throw up from the epi and other than being starved afterwards, I felt great. I forgot to add, take something to occupy your time. I watched movies and listened to classical music until the contractions got bad. Then I got the epi and slept for an hour. If you can rest, do it! It helps when it comes time to push. Good luck and don't worry! It will all work out fine!

Last edited by JustGinger; 09-21-2006 at 12:27 AM.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
(female)

shamrockcb HB User

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate it!!! *HUGS*

Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
(female)

moonangel007 HB User

wow!! how exciting! i, too was induced w/ my daughter. i've experienced both situations...and both are equally as exciting i think! for the induction...i went in on fri feb 13th...my dr. had already told me that they were going to induce so my daughter would be here on the 14th probably. cool, hu? yea well...when i got in there she said nope...we're going to wait because i really don't want to do it on the weekend!!!!! i was sooo upset! she said spend the weekend walking and i'll see you on monday for the induction if nothing happens. well...nothing happened all weekend so we went in...they gave me cervadyl because my body was totally not ready at all for her to come...and later that night i went into labor on my own. i did have to have pitocin in the morning to get things moving after my water was broke...but, other than that it was pretty much like i was resigned to get it over w/ by then. i think by then you'll be feeling the same way! we were nervous, too...but i was just thinking about how wonderful my body would feel to not have a nagging backache, leg cramps, hips falling asleep, and a basketball in there...AND to finally meet my little baby girl!!!! yay for you!! it's coming up quick and it'll be all over with before you know it!! good luck to you and your family!!! oh...w/ my son i had a salad and pizza before my water broke. w/ my daughter i had mcdonalds breakfast (what i could eat since i was slightly nervous LOL)...and didn't get sick with either!

Last edited by moonangel007; 09-22-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I would never be induced again, it was a horrible traumatic experience, and it nearly sabotaged my desire to breastfeed. Pitocin, the synthetic hormone that makes you contract, contributes to jaundice, and jaundice makes baby sleepy, and a sleepy baby won't breastfeed!

My body simply wasn't ready to go into labor and they forced it. The TRIPPLED the standing order of pitocin during my labor, and I almost ended up getting cut open. I was in labor for 37 hours, and spiked a fever and started vomitting. They did all this because of her size, but you know what, women don't make babies they can't deliver!! She was over 9 pounds and came FLYING out in 3 pushes. The inducement was a complete waste of time.

Don't do it.

Closed Thread