It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

gerkitt HB User
Low amniotic fluid

This is for any preganant woman with ogliohydramnios(low amniotic fluid). I had this durring my preganancy with no answer as to why. The doctor ruled out all of the documented causes. After the birth of my child I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Sydrome-a connective tissue dissorder. Apparently, this is also common with Lupus. If you have low amniotic fluid with no answer as to why, look into a connective tissue dissorder!

The Following User Says Thank You to gerkitt For This Useful Post:
Marrissa (10-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

Mvhrt HB User
Re: Low amniotic fluid

gerkitt, this is an interesting theory, however, when I was 17-18 and pregnant with my first son there was low aminotic fluid which required weekly ultrasounds (which to me at the time was pretty exciting getting to see him every week) and yes there was no definitive reason as to why this was happening but... since than I have gone through two more pregnancies with no more instances of low amniotic fluid. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and so far so good. Have you read any articles on this? As far as I know I don't have Lupus or any tissue dissorders.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Very interesting... I recently just started looking this up because yesterday my doctor told me there was low amniotic fluid and to drink more. He didn't say what to drink and I forgot to ask, but I've stepped it up in general with OJ, milk and water. I thought I was drinking enough already. I'll see at my next visit what happens.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

how do you know you have low fluid? i only had a US at 20 weeks and won't have one for another month.....what are signs?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

There are no signs (at least not as far as i know) when it happened in my pregnancy it was something they noticed on an ultrasound at about 23 weeks.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
(female)

Mvhrt HB User

Gerkitt, I was just reading up on what that syndrome is.... can it be classified JUST as joints that pop out of place or do you need other symptoms?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

krissym531 HB User

i had low fluid too...its found on a routine ultrasound.....a normal pregnacy should be between 5 - 25 cm of fluid with 18 being the average.....i had 6!!!!
i sat home on bed rest and literally drank 3 liters of water a day and it replenished my fluid back to 12 cm!!!...my daughter was born on time and in perfect health.....drink and rest!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to krissym531 For This Useful Post:
Marrissa (10-25-2011)
Old 11-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Part of my weekly u/s (biophysical profiles) have been a measurement of the amniotic fluid in each quadrant of the abdomen. It's pretty standard to check for this whenever an u/s is done.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
(female)

gerkitt HB User

Hi and thanks to all of you who responded. Ehlers danlos syndrome is a rare genetic disorder. It presents itself in many ways-not just throught the joints. The blood vessels and all organs can be affected as well. I had no symptoms of the dissorder untill I was 23-after the birth of my daughter. I was diaged because I had resulting nerve damage-if I hadnt I probably would have never been diagnosed. Im not saying this is the reason for all unexplained ogliohydrominos, but it was definantly the answer for me. I had varring levels of fluid-from a 2 to a 8-getting IV fluid would always bring it back up temporarliy. I drank a gallon of water everyday as well. Also, there are medical stockings you can buy that improve circulation. I was eventually induced because of the fluid level-she was about a week early. There were no medical problems with her at all( besides the probability that she has a connective tissue dissorder). So if you do have low fluid and no answers as to why, you have to take matters into your own hands and do the reserch yourself. Making sure that you dont have a connective tissue dissorder is important in these cases because of the many complications that can arise such as haemorage, and epidural problems. Ask your OB if he/she knows of the dissorder and of the possible complications. It is only precautionary, not everone with EDS has these problems. Good luck to all of you mommies!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
(female)

gerkitt HB User

There are many things that can classify EDS-and many severities as well. You may only present with one symptom, but there are many. I only presented with the joints, but there are skin and vascular complications as well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I know it would have helped me-especially durring my pregnancy.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
(female)

malaurie HB User

Funny enough too much amniotic fluid is also a heads up for ehlers danlos.... Laurie

Closed Thread