It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Can we Paint?

just painted 2 bookshelves for the nursery and now am concerned that i did it by myself....did i do something i wasn't supposed to?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
(female)

moonangel007 HB User
Re: Can we Paint?

not sure...but i think it's ok as long as it's latex. i was just asking my mom about it because we're fixing our house up some...and i still have a bathroom to paint...and she said oh you should be fine since it's latex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

paresse HB User

You SHOULD wear a protective mask. Even latex paints release harmful fumes. I think that all containers of paint have a warning label which states that they contain chemicals that can cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

I wouldn't worry too much about painting a couple of shelves without a mask but would definitely get a good mask for more prolonged use.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

This is one of those areas where I would plead "pregnant" and let someone else do it. There are just too many chemicals and fumes from paint, regardless of the kind, to make it really safe. While I don't think there aren't specific studies related to this, use common sense.

Of course, there's nothing you can do about it now, so don't worry too much about it. But let someone else do the painting from now on.

Last edited by xinerevelle; 09-22-2006 at 09:56 AM.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

I wouldnt worry about it. I would think we are far enough along into the pregnancies that fumes wouldnt cause any developmental defects, as the babies are already completly formed, its just a case now of them growing bigger. Although seemingly unrelated, I was jsut asking my dr this week about taking antihistimines and he said because my baby is already formed it wouldnt cause any defects it might just sedate the baby or something, so i would think paint would be the same maybe- it might have an effect but not actually on its growth. Also he was saying with toxins or drugs they have to be able to actually cross the placenta to hurt the baby, and alot of things dont.

Did you paint outside? If it was a well ventilated area your chances of breething it in would be less. I still plan to have my lounge, kitchen and nursery painted in the next few weeks.

Closed Thread