It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

confusedd1234 HB User
flu shot

hi there ladies-

i was just wondering if any of you are planning on getting the flu shot?
are there risks to getting it?

Someone was telling me how pregnant women in their 2nd and 3rd trimester should get it but i have never gotten one before and i dont know if i should get one this year.

-allysa
EDD- 12/01/06

Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User
Re: flu shot

hi confused,

I was wondering about that too. My sister told me that I should probably get one. I forgot to ask my doctor on Wednesday when I was there. I will try to call him and ask. Let me know what you find out!

Koukla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User

I asked my doctor about this, and all pregnant women are recommended to get a flu shot, but especially if you're in your 2nd & 3rd trimesters because whatever it is in the shot that protects from flu (antibody, antivirus...?) stays in your baby's system for up to 6 months. That way, the baby will be protected when he/she is born, since newborns cannot be given the flu shot.

As for risks, they are minimal - there is a common myth that you can contract the flu from the flu shot. It's not true. Some people do experience mild side effects, and only in very rare cases does the flu shot produce more extreme side effects requiring medical attention. But make sure the person administering the shot knows any and all drug allergies you have.

I'll be getting mine in a couple of weeks.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
(female)

sdjansen HB User

With my first pregnancy I got one and I didnt have any complications or reactions from it. I plan on getting one with this pregnancy as well. I think you should just talk to your doctor and decide what is best for you.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Exclamation Re: flu shot

I don't want to alarm anyone here, but I've heard that there are many links to autism from vaccines including flu shots that have a trace of mercury in them. I personally have not researched this but my sister has and did a whole paper on it for this class she is taking on early intervention. Also, my best friend's brother now has a baby who has a mild case of autism and has done loads of research. I think there was a study done of women who had the flu shot and those who didn't and there was a higher percentage of autistic children in the group that had them while pregnant. It doesn't seem to make sense that we as pregnant women can have the shot (which could and probably will cross the placenta) but a newborn cannot get one until they are a certain age. The research is out there for anyone to investigate but personally, I don't think I'm getting a flu shot.

Just a side note as well: since the research and studies have been done, they are now in the process of taking out the high levels of mercury in vaccines given to children but I think many of them have trace amounts that are still perhaps damaging to the select children who are predisposed for the disease. They have not, however, taking it out of flu shots since this is given to adults. The odds are not in our favors ladies: 1 in 166 children have autism in this country. Do some research!!!

Last edited by km7503; 10-14-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

confusedd1234 HB User

km7503 that is an interesting point you made about a pregnant woman being able to get the shot but not a newborn. I've heard the vaccine does cross the placenta as well. I know someone who teaches autistic children and when she was in school their was a study done about that.

hm, i'll talk to my doctor- but i dont know if i'm going to get it.
i mean i have never gotten the flu shot and have only gotten the flu once in my life.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

[ REMOVED ]

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), as well as the American College of Obsetrician and Gynecologists (ACOG), recommend that ALL pregnant women in the second and third trimester get the flu shot. In fact, pregnant women are in the group called "high risk for complications due to influenza" and are in the first group suggested to get it. If there is a flu vaccine shortage (not expected this year), pregnant women get it first over other healthy people.

The flu vaccine is a dead virus, so it doesn't give someone the flu. Because the time of year the vaccine is given is one that's more prone to passing on colds and other upper respiratory viruses back and forth, the likelihood that coincidentally you feel poorly after the flu shot is higher than if you got the shot in the middle of the summer.

People who are allergic to eggs shouldn't get the flu shot since the vaccine is grown in eggs.

More information is available on the CDC's website: cdc.gov. I just did a search when there for "flu shot pregnant" and clicked on the first article I saw.

I'm definitely getting the shot.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-14-2006 at 05:13 PM. Reason: do not assume authority to tell members what is appropriate on the board

Old 10-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Exclamation Re: flu shot

[ REMOVED ]

As far as the CDC and the ACOG is concerned, there probably has not been enough tests done to prove the link between autism and vaccines according to them. Maybe when there are more studies done, they will stop suggesting the vaccine or at the very least wait until the vaccine changed w/o mercury. We are told to stay away from fish products that contain amounts of mercury...so this is not really something new.

I am not getting the flu shot, but that is my personal decision. You can and should do what you think is best.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-14-2006 at 05:39 PM. Reason: do not argue with other members - do not discuss the moderators

Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User

I wasn't aware of the risk of autism related to the flu shot, but after you mentioned it, km, I looked up a bunch of stuff online about it to stay informed.

When I was researching it before, I focused more on the risks of influenza, rather than the flu shot. I expected all the stuff on congenital abnormalities, but I was really surprised to read a number of recent medical research papers that link maternal influenza during pregnancy to increased risk of schizophrenia (for the child) later in life. That really influenced my decision, because I have a paternal aunt with schizophrenia, and schizophrenia is genetically linked.

Just thought I'd share that since it seemed so... odd.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rbettis HB User

You know, at work they will be giving the flu shot next week. I thought about getting it but before I would call my Dr. However, now reading this thread I now remember reading something about a link with vaccination and autism.

I think I rather have a flu than putting my baby at risk of having some mayor problems. Even tho it is just a small %. I don't think the flu will hurt my baby, other than just put me down for a couple of days. Have you heard anything about the flu and side effects on the baby?

Later on I will call my Dr and see what she says, but I think I am more to not having the flu shot now.

Last edited by rbettis; 10-17-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User

rbettis - from what I've read, the flu in pregnant women has been linked to a number of congenital abnormalities (cleft lip/palate, neural tube defects, cardiovascular abnormalities etc.), but perhaps the most important reason why doctors recommend the flu shot for all pregnant women is because when you are pregnant, you are not only more susceptible to the flu, but also to the pneumonia that can often follow when someone's immune system is weakened (e.g., pregnant women, elderly, young children). Pneumonia, especially with a weakened immune system, has a much higher likelihood of leading to death. Yikes... that makes it sound soooo grim, but I'm just reporting what I've read in the medical research and what my doctor has told me (I'm not trying to use the 'fear factor'!!! ).

Anyway, I hope that is some help! I'm curious to know what your doc says, though (the value of a second opinion!).

Old 10-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Suesy --

The stuff about pneumonia is what my doctor told me, too.

Christine

Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rbettis HB User

Guys,
My nurse from my insurance mentioned that flu shots are not safe during the first trimester, but she advised me to call my OB to make sure. I would be in my 15 week 4 days if I decide to take the flu shot. I guess I will be in my second trimester by a week.

I just talked to my OB Dr and she says that it is safe to get the flu shot anytime. She says that it used to be that it was not safe in the first trimester, but all that has changed now. She actually suggested it because says you don't want to have the flu during pregnancy. It is miserable and talked about all that stuff that Suesy mentioned above.

So it is a tough call . My flu shot is on Nov 1. I still have 2 weeks to think about it.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:05 AM   #14
(female)

gio82 HB User

I started reading the thread to see everyones reaction on getting the flu shot. With the mention of autism I'm personally unsure as whether or not to get it, now.

I do however want to add in that I talked to my doctor, who right off the bat at my last visit mentioned to get it without hesitation. She told me that the flu in pregnant women can result in pre-term labor and that if you do happen to catch it and are in labor, but not preterm-labor, well; labor is already a hard task as is. Why add the stress of being sick ontop of it?

I swear, can't anything in pregnancy be easy? If it isn't one thing we need to be worried about, it's another.

Hmm, maybe we should live in bubbles for nine months.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rbettis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio82
I started reading the thread to see everyones reaction on getting the flu shot. With the mention of autism I'm personally unsure as whether or ......I swear, can't anything in pregnancy be easy? If it isn't one thing we need to be worried about, it's another.

Hmm, maybe we should live in bubbles for nine months.
hahaha you said it right, can we just live in a plastic bubble?!!! I think Drs should come up with something like that. People tell me to enjoy it, but so far has been one concern after another .

Closed Thread