It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

tmb2006 HB User
Wink Natural childbirth, Doula and Hypbirthing-- any comments or advice

Hi Everyone,
I meant hypbirthing, which is a new thing, it's not the same exactly as hypno birthing I dont think...anyhow just to clarify..
So, I'm due in 3 months and am having such a hard time deciding which doula to go with. One is a woman similar to me, she's very soothing and motherly, and gave birth at home and she's all about it. The other is great, but younger, not as soothing, but very nice and very supportive. Being, that it's my first child, I'm wondering what will I want when I get there. Does anyone have any good advice about what the doula was great for? My plan is an all natural childbirth obviously, and am trying my best to make that happen. I believe it can be done and is possible for almost anyone, however, doesn't mean I'm not scared or terrified rather, and mostly just of the unknown... you know, what if it's so much worse than I thought, what if I pass out? :-) lol

Anyhow, any natural child birthers out there with advice would be great, if anyone has done the hypbirthing, that would be good to hear about, and doula decisions? Thank you so much for the comments ahead of time...

Also, theres no reason I couldn't do natural birth, I'm 22, healthy, very good shape, no problems whatsoever, just my own fear and the fact that the worst pain I've been in was gallstones, which did hurt really bad, but I think childbirth would be worse... so, any uplifting or words of wisdom on any of those things would be so appreciated !! Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
(female)

Davidsgirl25 HB User
Talking Re: Natural childbirth, Doula and Hypbirthing-- any comments or advice

Actually I have heard that gallstones are worse than childbirth, so that should ease your mind just a bit. I plan to go natural too, I want to be aware of my body and not be slowed down or out of it when my daughter is born. I don't know much about doulas, I don't think I would use one personally, I would rather have my fiance with me. But it's a personal choice and it might be perfect for you if you feel you need the extra support. We all go into this thinking one thing and then usually something else happens. You might want a doula now but be annoyed with her during labor, or the opposite, we all will never know till we are in that room giving birth that's for sure.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Re: Natural childbirth, Doula and Hypbirthing-- any comments or advice

Great decision on natural childbirth, I also believe in it too. I gave birth in April and was 23 at the time. I had a natural childbirth, that includes no medications, IV's, pitocin, or help like that of any kind.

I used a midwife and I got in and out of a birthing tub during labor. I never used a doula, so I have no experience there. If I had a choice I would choose someone that is gentle and soothing, but also stern in helping you stick to your plan.

I moved across the country towards the end of my pregnancy so I never joined any classes. I just winged it. I would suggest the hypnobirthing classes, I have read much about it.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

tmb2006 HB User

I'm really set on having a doula, p.s. mostly because I recently became a single mom to be, and also, I have a couple of friends who said that their doula was the one reason they got through it all natural. So, I'm a believer that she will be a tremendous help.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
(female)

tmb2006 HB User

You heard gallstones were worse?! Oh good, that makes me happy. I thought I was going to die with those, but I just lied on the floor in a fetal position wanting to die instead... maybe that same technique will help will birth. lol

Old 11-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

My dd will be 11 weeks tomorrow. I had a doula. She was wonderful. I also used a midwife who was also very wonderful. I wanted to do it natural but wasnt able to. I was group b strep positive so I had to have antibiotics for 4 hours before my water was broke. They broke my water since I was so miserable. At about 5 cm I wanted something just to take the edge off (my dh was trying to talk me into the epi). I got very very little pain meds and got some rest before I had to push. My doula was very gentle and calming for me but also she kept reminding me of my birth plan.

Just for some information. The doula doesnt take the place of a person in your room. If you want your SO in there that is fine. At least that is how it is here.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

It would help to have her there, especially in your situation. You would want someone encouraging. I know towards the end, I went off into my own world and I really didn't know or care who was there anymore and when it came time to push, it was great having an extra person there (my mom) to feed me water between each push because I was so dehydrated.

I will also tell you this....there are two moments in my life where I have never felt more proud of myself and my accomplishments and after having Alexa was one of them. I cannot explain what it felt like at 4:00am laying in my hospital room in the dark, and alone and having time to reflect. (I pushed abnormally hard and I busted all capalaries in and around my eyes and some in my face and my eyes were swollen nearly shut.) So I was unable to hold my daughter afterwards and that was why I was alone. Don't let that scare you, that was just me, and like I said, it is normal for that to happen.
I think you have made a great decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
(female)

Lola26 HB User

I'm also planning on having a natural childbirth, and highly recommend the book The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence. Only a small part of the book is actually about Lamaze. Most of it is encouraging guidance on giving birth naturally. There's a ton of information on doulas, birth centers, and how to get through a natural birth in a hospital (which is what I'll be attempting in a couple weeks).
As far as doulas are concerned, there is an association called DONA (Doulas of North America) that can help with referrals in your area.

I think the most important piece of information I'm going to try and hold onto during labor is to not be afraid of the pain. It's a productive pain, and it means the baby is coming. When I've had pain in the past (kidney stones, appendix rupturing), the pain was horrible because I was afraid of it, and I knew something was wrong. This time, the pain is a good pain, and I think that will help me through it.

Good luck, and remember that your body was meant for this. You can do it!

Closed Thread