It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
(female)

tmb2006 HB User
Smile Can anyone share their Natural Childbirth Story?

Okay, you dont have to tell me your whole story, because it might be that your story is really long, but maybe just let me know how you coped when it go to the point where you wanted to take something.

I'm very committed to natural childbirth, I have a doula and have been listening to my hypnobabies CD, also I'm delivering at the most wonderful hospital with a birthing center, where we all have tubs, they allow me to eat, drink, walk around, no IV's, etc... I mean, it's going to be great. However, I'm just a little nervous about the pain at the end. Not really the first part, but everyone gets to the point of "wow, no way I can do this" and I want to know how to get myself through that hurdle becuase it's truly what I want.

First baby, and perfect pregnancy, and I'm healthy, good weight, etc.

Anyhow, any inspiration or stories would be wonderufl. I'm due next month. In about 5 weeks.

Last edited by tmb2006; 01-14-2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: forgot wording

Old 01-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
Re: Can anyone share their Natural Childbirth Story?

Hi tmb.......my 1st child was born via c-section, but with my 2nd child, I was determined to have a VBAC. I had problems with an epidural during my c-section, so I knew that the possibility of having problems the 2nd time around existed. So, I was prepared to go at it without any pain medication (or so I thought)!!! After laboring for over 18 hours, most of those hours being on pitocin, I was only dilated 3cm and I thought to myself "there is no way I can handle much more of this.....and I have a long way to go". So, I opted for an epidural.........which provided me with instant relief..........relief that was very shortlived!!! My epidural stopped working 15 minutes after it was administered, so they removed it and I had NO choice but to endure the remainder of my labor with the pain that I so desperately wanted to end.

I realized after my epi was removed that I HAD to find a way to get through this. I had no choice. The pain was there and I had to learn to deal with it.

The one thing that helped me out tremendously was deep breathing through my contractions. Once I hit 7cm, I began having urges to push. So, after that point, the deep breathing was more to keep me from pushing than it was for fighting the pain. It seemed harder to refrain from pushing than it was to deal with the pain. Once I hit 10cm and was told I could push, I felt such relief to push against the pain and pressure I was feeling.

So, I did end up giving up.......but in the end that came back to haunt me cause I was forced to deal with it and find the strength to get through it, which I did. I was in labor for 26 hours. If I ever were to have anymore children, I would definately choose a natural method and not have any intervention for pain control because I now know that I can do it.

Best wishes to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

tmb2006 HB User

Thank you so much for sharing... I think thats a great story because you really did prove something to yourself. I need all the perspective I can get, so thank you!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

With my 1st, the epidural was a lifesaver (they gave me Demerol 1st but it did nothing for the pain and only made me feel like my head was detached which made being in pain a lot worse). With my 2nd, I was determined to get an epidural, but a really good nurse convinced me to try getting through the majority of the labor without the epidural, because once it's in, I can't walk around or do anything. First of all, I was already at the hospital when I went into labor, so I didn't have the distraction of getting my bags together and driving to the hospital like I did with my first (conveniently, I was supposed to be induced the next morning, so I had to spend the night. Shortly after they hooked me up to the monitor, my contrations came on full force and I was in active labor). It helps with the pain when you're focused on getting to the hospital. The nurse told me to go for a walk around the hospital wing. So, DH and I walked and walked. I had to stop a lot to hold onto the rail and breathe through a contraction (deep breaths in and out helped some). When I couldn't walk anymore, I went back to the room to get my epidural. The nurse convinced me to sit in the shower (they didn't have tubs, but that would be really nice!). My cousin, who is a doula (not in my area, though) had previously told me that water speeds up labor, and that if I had the opportunity, I should take a bath or shower. I didn't feel like it, but I did it anyway. It felt so much better to sit in the shower and let the warm water run. It helped me dialate quickly and get through some of the contractions. After the shower, I wanted my epidural. She stalled a bit (I'm sure it was to see if I'd have the baby natural) but I did get my epidural. It hurt going in and I was worried I'd be paralyzed. After about 10 minutes of the epidural, my contractions were still just as strong and it didn't take ANY of the edge off. I called the nurse back and the doctor came in and told me I'm fully dialated and it's time to push. THAT was the part I was really scared to do without the epidural. The contractions were intense but it's not a constant pain and you get a slight break in between so it's manageable. I didn't want to push the baby out without my epidural. Well, it turns out that I had to anyway because my epidural finally kicked in 5 minutes AFTER the baby was born. Then, I was so numb I was afraid to hold my baby for the first 1/2 hour and was really mad that I got the epidural when it turns out I didn't even need it or get any benefit from it. I have to agree with the other poster, the part that I was most afraid of was actually the part that felt the best. It felt good to push when I had the urge to push and actually relieved the pain and pressure when I started pushing. I didn't really feel much.

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I am going to try this one with no epidural. If you can do it, that's great, but if your labor goes on too long or gets too intense, it's not in failing in any way to ask for pain meds.It's good to have a plan but you should also have a backup plan just in case. I don't mean to deter you but just keep in mind that any way you get the baby out into this world is a successful birth, so don't beat yourself up if you need meds or a c-section.

The nurses are really great and trained to help you through labor. They have all kinds of suggestions and will help you get through it. If you want to go natural, they will help you through it. Childbirth classes are also a wealth of information on different things like the birthing ball, massage techniques, breathing techniques (honestly, with that, the only one that worked for me was the beep breathing in and out, "blowing out" the pain with each breath), etc.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

With my 1st, the epidural was a lifesaver (they gave me Demerol 1st but it did nothing for the pain and only made me feel like my head was detached which made being in pain a lot worse). With my 2nd, I was determined to get an epidural, but a really good nurse convinced me to try getting through the majority of the labor without the epidural, because once it's in, I can't walk around or do anything. First of all, I was already at the hospital when I went into labor, so I didn't have the distraction of getting my bags together and driving to the hospital like I did with my first (conveniently, I was supposed to be induced the next morning, so I had to spend the night. Shortly after they hooked me up to the monitor, my contrations came on full force and I was in active labor). It helps with the pain when you're focused on getting to the hospital. The nurse told me to go for a walk around the hospital wing. So, DH and I walked and walked. I had to stop a lot to hold onto the rail and breathe through a contraction (deep breaths in and out helped some). When I couldn't walk anymore, I went back to the room to get my epidural. The nurse convinced me to sit in the shower (they didn't have tubs, but that would be really nice!). My cousin, who is a doula (not in my area, though) had previously told me that water speeds up labor, and that if I had the opportunity, I should take a bath or shower. I didn't feel like it, but I did it anyway. It felt so much better to sit in the shower and let the warm water run. It helped me dialate quickly and get through some of the contractions. After the shower, I wanted my epidural. She stalled a bit (I'm sure it was to see if I'd have the baby natural) but I did get my epidural. It hurt going in and I was worried I'd be paralyzed. After about 10 minutes of the epidural, my contractions were still just as strong and it didn't take ANY of the edge off. I called the nurse back and the doctor came in and told me I'm fully dialated and it's time to push. THAT was the part I was really scared to do without the epidural. The contractions were intense but it's not a constant pain and you get a slight break in between so it's manageable. I didn't want to push the baby out without my epidural. Well, it turns out that I had to anyway because my epidural finally kicked in 5 minutes AFTER the baby was born. Then, I was so numb I was afraid to hold my baby for the first 1/2 hour and was really mad that I got the epidural when it turns out I didn't even need it or get any benefit from it. I have to agree with the other poster, the part that I was most afraid of was actually the part that felt the best. It felt good to push when I had the urge to push and actually relieved the pain and pressure when I started pushing. I didn't really feel much.

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I am going to try this one with no epidural. If you can do it, that's great, but if your labor goes on too long or gets too intense, it's not in failing in any way to ask for pain meds. It's good to have a plan but you should also have a backup plan just in case. I don't mean to deter you but just keep in mind that any way you get the baby out into this world is a successful birth, so don't beat yourself up if you need meds or a c-section.

The nurses are really great and trained to help you through labor. Having a doula should be a great experience as well! They have all kinds of suggestions and will help you get through it. If you want to go natural, they will help you through it. Childbirth classes are also a wealth of information on different things like the birthing ball, massage techniques, breathing techniques (honestly, with that, the only one that worked for me was the beep breathing in and out, "blowing out" the pain with each breath), etc.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I am preg with #2. With my DD, I had not decided for sure to get an epi. I had to be induced b/c of preeclampsia, and luckily only need the gel, no pitocin. I labored VERY easily/lightly for the first 5 hours. I don't even consider it labor, I was laughing, playing around and having a ball!! LOL! Then, at midnight, my water broke, and that was a WHOLE other story! I had contractions constantly. I only got a 30 second break (most women get 1-2 minutes!!). I dilated pretty quickly and was begging for an epi at 3 cm. My doc said no, b/c I had been induced, and he didn't want to slow down labor (yeah, that was funny!). So, I ended up getting nubaine (it was supposed to help calm the contractions for me, didn't work---I just felt like I was in la la land and that the pain was still as bad! HORRIBLE STUFF! The nurse came in 2 HOURS later to check me, and I was at 5. Was told I could have the epi, and then said that I had to pee first. I walked to the bathroom (contracting all the way) and couldn't concentrate enough to pee. Came back (contracting) and I said I had the urge to push. She said I couldn't possibly at 5 cm. I said I did, and she checked me. I was at 9!! I went from 5-9 in 15 minutes. It took another hour to get to 10. Because I was at 9, I couldn't get the epi! So, I went naturally from there on out. I am glad I did, and yes, the pain is bad (I ripped), BUT the healing and stuff is SOOO much quicker! I got to be with my DD right away and I got up within an hour or so after to pee, and take a shower (which was heaven!). So, you are really making the right choice. Deep breathing, ICE CHIPS, and people you love that support your decision are needed. Good luck. It is an amazing time in your life that you really don't need drugs for. I have already told my DH that I refuse to take that nubaine stuff again. REFUSE! I was so spaced! I will pray for you that all goes well in your effort to remain drug free.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
(female)

Jakeysmom HB User

Hi! I had a birth without meds. I planned to try to do it naturally but decided that if I had to have something that I wouldn't beat myself up over it. It turned out that I didn't have a choice, lol! I was a first time mom and thought I would have a long labor, but my DS had other plans! I had one contraction a little after midnight (moderately painful) and then my water broke. I went to the hospital and my doula met me and my husband there. By the time I was out of triage and into a delivery room the contractions were very painful, but my doula really helped me to get through them by having me stand up (on the walk to the delivery room she saw that bending over and leaning over on something really helped me) She gave me counter pressure on my back which felt great. About 2:30 am (I had only been at the hospital 1 1/2 hours) I felt like I had to push. The nurse thought I was crazy but I made her check me. I was a 10!!!! She said "No epidural for you and we just sent your doctor home so you will have to wait to push" (nice lady huh??) After about 15 seconds of self pity and sheer terror at having to push the baby out without pain meds, I got used to the idea and my doula really helped by telling me that I was in "transition" the most painful part of labor and that pushing would feel good. My doc arrived 20 min later and guess what, the pushing did feel good! I barely felt the contractions at that point, it was wierd! I pushed for 20 min, never felt the ring of fire and my DS was born at 3:20! I am so glad that I had the experience and the key was my doula. My DH is great, but he wouldn't have known all that she did to help me.

I wish you a wonderful labor and delivery!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
(female)

Candy_Girl HB User

I, too, didn't really have a choice about an epi with my DD who is my first child. My water broke at about 5:30 pm. The hospital said to call back in 6 hours to give them a progress update on my contractions (which didn't start right away). Contractions started about 30 min later.

While my husband was finishing up his taxes (because he thought I wouldn't need to go to the hospital any time soon), I used my mom as my labour coach. I did the dancing-hug thing with her and she rubbed my lower back during the contractions. That was the biggest pain reliever for me at home. My husband kept telling me not to use the breathing techniques we learned because it was too early in the process. Boy, were we wrong LOL.

I called the hospital at 9:30 to tell them I was in too much pain to wait at home any longer so they told me to come in (though they were hesitant). I got there just before 10 and when they checked, I was already at 9 cm and "rimmed"! I asked for an epi but the nurse just sort of gave me a look and said "there, there... we'll look into it". I could tell it was too late. Sigh.

Anyways, the bearing down contractions started almost immediately and I was moved straight to a delivery room. They tried laughing gas for me but it only made me dizzy and I almost passed out. In the end, breathing and focussing on the nurses' instructions is what got me through the pain. My DD was born at 11:06 pm. I told myself that the pain will fade but to remember that next time I want an epi

With this baby, I'm going to do what happened by accident last time, labour without drugs as long as possible and ask for them when I can't bear it anymore. If I've still got hours to go, then I'll get the epi... if I'm almost done, then I'll do it naturally. You can definitely survive but I wish you a fast delivery!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User

I too can benefit from some natural childbirth stories. My doctor told me I cannot have an epidural because of my spine fusion (big surprise) and I'm due the 27th, though I'll probably go earlier. I hope I have a good story to tell LOL.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

Well I had to have both of mine natural even though I was fully prepared for an epidural. My first son I didn't know I was in labor until he was crowning (literally!!), no contractions, nothing but some constipation (or so I thought) and a little bloody show. I delivered him partially in the car (head out, holding him in) and partially in the lobby of the hospital (the remainder of his body inside the double doors).

My second son I also went fast. I was having some "tightening" of my stomach and thought they must be contractions (since I was 38 weeks), so I went to the hospital. I was having contractions very sporadically, and I couldn't really even feel them, but I was dialated to 3cm and 80% effaced. They sent me home and my dr said to go to another hospital. I did, he made them admit me after an hour of useless observation. They broke my water and I had my son a half hour later. So no time for me. I ripped REALLY badly with both of my boys due to having them so quickly and wish I'd had something for the pain of that but otherwise I'm really glad I did it naturally, choice or no choice. Because really I completely forgot about the pain immediately afterwards and can't even remember too much about it even now trying to think about it.

Every woman is different though and if you need something for the pain then by all means, take it. No one wins an award for how much pain they endure during labor. It's a joyous time bringing your little miracle into the world, just remember that and try to enjoy and revel in what your body was made to do. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bxr35 HB User

I intended to have mine naturally, but after two full days of labor, when I finally went to the hospital after my water broke, I had almost had it. I was having back labor, and immediately after the water broke my contractions got much, much worse. I was barely walking -- it took at least half an hour for me to get down the hallway from triage to the L&D room, and they told me I had to lie down for 1/2 an hour to be monitored, which I couldn't do. I was literally screaming in pain, which my husband didn't believe because I have a very high pain tolerance, but I still didn't want the epidural. My midwife insisted I have an epidural because I hadn't slept in three days and I was so tired my eyes were rolling -- she was afraid I wouldn't be able to push if I didn't get some sleep and that they'd have to do a C-section. I was so tired I couldn't read the consent form, so I signed it without reading it, which says a lot because I'm a law student! But before they'd give the epi they wanted to check me, which took almost an hour because I had to maneuver to be lying down and I couldn't move during contractions, which were almost constant. When she checked me I was already 8 centimeters, but because we didn't know how long it had taken to get there (that was the first time I was checked ... ever), we were going to go ahead with the epi anyway. By the time I maneuvered myself back into a seated position, and the anesthesiologist was poking and prodding to get me the way she wanted me, I had a monster contraction during which I felt an unbearable urge to push -- and then I felt something very hard and coconut-ty in my cervix-area. The midwife could hear that I was pushing and insisted on checking me again before we did the epi, which was good, because I was pushing already so I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway which is what I wanted it for. My baby was born twenty minutes later.

As a side point, it probably would have been better if I had slept, because I was too tired to understand what was going on during most of the pushing. Everyone kept yelling at me to push, push, push, but my body was telling me to go slowly, so I didn't listen to them until they really screamed at me. Someone kept putting an oxygen mask over my mouth and I kept pushing it away because it didn't smell good. I was too exhausted to realize that if they were giving me oxygen, my baby probably needed it, and, indeed, the reason they kept yelling at me to push harder was because his heartrate was dropping into the forties during contractions. They literally had a doctor outside with a mask ready to slap over my face on the way to the OR if I didn't progress any faster. If I had gotten to the hospital a few hours earlier, the sensible thing would have been to get the epi and get some sleep. Then again, you might say the sensible thing would have been to go to the hospital already -- or at least the doctor's office to get checked -- after 48 hours of labor without waiting for my water to break!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Wink Re: Can anyone share their Natural Childbirth Story?

I believe in everything you do and I had my daughter completely naturally on April 4, 2006. First of all, I committed myself to a natural childbirth. One of the ways I did this was by researching information on natural childbirth and medications. The other way, was that I told everyone I knew for months before that I don't believe in taking meds and I am having my child naturally. (C-sections don't count, because you must be medicated.) By telling everyone this, I set myself up for success. When the pain got intense and I would become frusterated I would remember what I said to everyone and what my true wishes were, which was no interventions or medications. I used a midwife in the hospital and also utilized the birthing tub for comfort. Also everyone kept telling me how close I was and how long I have already been in labor and that would make me feel good because I could tell myself, "I made it this far and I am getting closer", or "I am over the hump, I can do it now", or even, "When this is over with I will be extremely proud of myself for making it through the way I wished for and also that I have proved some opinionated people wrong-those who told me I was crazy or that I wouldn't make it without medication."

There are many motivators that you can think of and tell yourself this when you are in labor. Also, remember that the pain won't be constant. It may become more frequent towards the end, but tell yourself that your body is doing it's job and relax in between contractions. Hold out, because although pushing can be hard, there is no turning back then and you are on the homestretch! Good luck!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
(female)

jamckit HB User

I just had my baby naturally on the 11th. this was my 1st child.

My water broke at 3:30 in the morning. I didn't have any pain just cramp like symptoms. I really dodn't even have any contractions til like 7 or 8 am. The dr induced my labor to help speed it up. By about 10 or 10:30 Am I started to push. 2 hours later my little Elizabeth was here.

I remember the doctor asking me how I was doing & I told her it wasn't has bad as I thought it would be. She told me that I handled it better than most women who have an epi & that noone should ever call me a baby or a whimp.

I really didn't prepare myself too much for delivery. All I kept thinking was how much it was going to hurt. I think that is what helped me get through it so easliy. Also I didn't concentrate on the pain when I was pushing i just concentrated on getting her out.

Goodluck!

Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

bricely HB User

i had all of my three kids natural without and type of drug, the thing that helped me alot was my breathing, in class they tell you to breath 3 quick short breaths but i noticed my stomach would tense up when i did so i stopped doing that and started to take long deep breaths and squeeze the side bar of the hospital bed until the contractions went away and i didn't go to the hospital right away because laying in bed waiting for my cervix to open didn't sound to good so i waited until my contractions were 4 min apart i did alot of walking during so when i got to the hospital i was open 9 so by the time i changed my clothes and they took me into the room i had my babies

Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

I had all six of my boys without any type of pain relief and am planning to go the same route with number seven who is due in the first week of March. My doctors were fine and supportive with the idea of natural childbirth, and they never tried to "push" anything on me. But they also always reminded me that there is no "prize" for delivering without pain relief, and the goal is ALWAYS a healthy mother and baby, not one type of delivery or another. I am more scared of the needles than I am of the pain of childbirth, and that is my main reason for going natural!! LOL

I commend you for planning so well for a natural delivery, but I always thought that my doctor's words were very wise...if you decide to take something, you are not a "failure" and delivery is not a performance you get graded on.

I say, go for natural childbirth, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't go as you planned. Honestly, as soon as I had my precious first baby in my arms, I felt that how he arrived didn't matter nearly as much as I thought it was going to while I was pregnant.

Best wishes - hope everything goes just as you hope! Marirose

Closed Thread