It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Anybody else with Celiacs Disease or Gluten Free?

Well this is definately an area I need support in! I have Celiacs and was diagnosed with it about 3-4 years ago. I mostly followed the diet before I got pregnant, and started following it 100% as soon as I found out. It is a horrible diet to have to follow, and lately I have been having extreem cravings for things I can't have, like a big sub with lots of mayo It is nearly impossible to eat out due to the seasonings and "hidden gluten" found in virtually everything!
I was wondering if anyone else has this and how on earth to you get yourself through these cravings? Also I am terrified I will mess up somewhere and unknowingly eat gluten and harm my baby.
Thanks!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User
Re: Anybody else with Celiacs Disease or Gluten Free?

Hi Meggs,

I don't have celiacs disease but my father has an allergy to all wheat/rye/oats etc. He follows a gluten free diet as well. He was diagnosed when he was about 30 years old. I know how frustrating it must be and how careful you have to be when you are out at restaurants etc. He said that it took him a LONG time to get over the cravings but now he doesn't even think twice about it.

At most grocery stores in the organic section they have a ton of gluten free sweets/cakes/bread etc. I made my dad a boxed gluten free cake that I bought at the grocery store and it was honestly awesome!!!! For pasta we buy him rice noodles from an oriental/asian store. Some grocery store carry that also just look in the asian ethnic or organic section. That is pretty good too!

I know it must be hard especially with cravings from you hormones! Good luck and I hope some of this info helps you if you didn't already know this.

Koukla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

sdjansen HB User

I have celiacs disease and when I was pregnant with DS I slowly started cheating on my diet, a peice of toast here, a breadstick there, crutons on my salad. I was also worried I wasnt getting enough grains. Well for months I was eating gluten with no side effects and started to get really worried that I was harming the baby so I started to go see a nutritionist. The only theory he had was that because my intestinal track had slowed down so much to allow my body to absorb all the nutrients for the baby I was also absorbing the gluten. Well I was happy and contunued to eat gluten right up until the day I delivered with no complications. I was feeling so good I got tested again for celiacs disease and was negative! my doctor was stunned and told me to keep wheat out of my diet and get a biopsy done in a few months. Well now I ampregnant with baby number 2 and eating all the pasta I can handle. I am planning to get tested a third time after this baby is born but until then I am enjoying myself. Atleast now there are so many more options for a gluten free diet, I mean 4 years ago you couldnt find anything made from rice except rice. Sorry to babble on.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

I have Crohn's disease and followed a gluten free diet. But with DS I started craving things that I could not have. Such as ice cream blizzards from DQ. I cheated there and with a few things. I cheated like once and gave it 3 days to see if my body would be okay with it. If it isn't then just stay away. After I had DS I continued to cheat and found that I had no reactions to most foods. I have not been tested but I imagine the problem is still there since now I am more tolerant to foods that had not been okay before. Now I can't take yogurt, lettuce and stuff with whole grains in it (such as Wheaties, granola bars), I can handle things that have bleached wheat flour fine. It is so hard when you are pg. I was told that when I switched to a wheat free diet that it would slowly help heal the disease. Kinda like help soothe it but by eating things not on the diet after awhile would aggrevate it again at some point in the future. I would suggest trying something and giving it a few days. Like, you would when starting baby food with an infant to check for food allergies.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
(female)

Kathp HB User

I'm a diagnosed Coeliac and I too have had incredible cravings for things I can't have - bread, burgers in buns, sandwiches. It's very hard. I've been so tempted to cheat and if it wasn't for the accompanying wheat allergy I have (life threatening - anaphylaxis inducing) I would so have given in!

My doctor would be absolutely furious if he thought I had cheated, as I'm sure yours would, as it's not just the short term effects of gluten you have to consider, but the long term. I would suggest talking to your dietician. I think it would be bad practice to suggest you could reintroduce gluten back into your diet without it having any ill effects. I doubt it would do your baby any harm whatsoever, but you have your own health to consider too.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Oh good I'm so glad I'm not alone on this!
Sdjansen- I can't believe you tested negative!!! That would be my dream come true! I actually wonder from time to time if I still have it, because before I got pregnant I cheated sometimes a lot, and nothing happened. But they say you can never get rid of it???? Who knows.
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Closed Thread