It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

meluca HB User
low thyroid during pregnancy ?

yesterday i got a call from drs office saying my blood work showed i had a low thyroid. (i previously had blood work done in sept. 06 and thyroid was fine) i had to go back and give more blood for T3 and T4 tests . i will know the results tomorrow.

but what is a low thyroid during pregnancy mean ?
what are the signs? what brings it on ?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
(female)

broodygirl HB User
Re: low thyroid during pregnancy ?

Hi Meluca

Try the thyroid board as they are really helpful over there. I dont understand it either. I have an excessively high TSH level, meaning I am hypothyroid but my T3 and T4 are fine but my endocrinologist put me on immediate medication in order to provide enough thyroid hormone for both of us. It needs treating but it is easily treatable and not harmful I am told. Let us know what happens.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

having enough thyroid hormone is important during pregnancy, especially before/around 12 wks. If untreated, it can lead to babies having neurological problems after birth. But this can be easily treated w/ medication (extra hormone). Last study I read, b/c I also had thyroid problems in teh past, said that if the thyroid hormones were low only at 24 or 36wks, then it didn't leald to neurological problems b/c baby is able to produce its own thryoid hormone, but at 12 wks it did, as the baby entirely relies on you (agian if left untreated for the rest of the pregnancy)

So don't worry about it, be happy that you are seeing your doctor, and had this detected early enough.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

kessa HB User

I had low thyroid since I got preg with my first 15 years ago. I take medicine for it. I have taken the medicine during all my preg's and all my children are fine. If they decided to give you thyroid medicine, don't be afraid. My children are bright and at the top of their class. No harm from the meds.
Kessa

Old 02-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I am assuming that your first trimester bloodwork indicated a low TSH level, if you haven't had T4 and T3 tests done yet. That happened to me during this pregnancy as well. I've never had a thyroid problem before now. A low TSH generally equates to hyperthyroid, too much thyroid hormone being released into your body (the TSH tell the thyroid how much hormone to produce, if it's low, it's telling your body to produce more than is actually needed by your body). The thyroid board has been very helpful for me in trying to figure all of this out. Are you having any symptoms of hyper- or hypo-thyroid? Hypothyroid symptoms are closely related to first trimester pregnancy symtoms - fatigue, lack of energy, weight gain, sensitivity to cold, etc. Hyperthyroid symptoms include racing heart, sensitivity to heat, jittery, anxious, insomnia, weight loss, etc. Make sure you mention any symptoms to your doctor.

I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much. There are some risks to the baby, but if it's managed early on, they can minimize those risks. If you read info on thyroid problems during pregnancy, it is scary, but my OB assured me that those risks are if a thyroid problem goes undetected and untreated during pregnancy. That's why they check it in the first trimester. So, there is a very good chance that your baby will be fine since they caught it early and can treat it.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

meluca HB User

good morning everyone,
i got my test results today and my t3 and t4 test came back normal. but they said i have to monitor my level of fatigue and that will determine if i will take extra tests. right now it is hard to tell how tired i feel ?

i'm 13.1 weeks and i feel sleepy, but it is snowing outside and i dont sleep through the night. been up since about 3 a.m.

i am hoping that by next week, i will have some energy. from what i understand, you gain energy in the 2nd trimester ??

thank you for the postings. they have been very helpful.

m

Closed Thread