It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User
Pregnancy at 40?

Hi all!
Hope all you preggers are feeling goood! I'm not sure this is the right board but I'm a 40 year old with 2 children 1-11yr old and 1-7 yr.old. I have really been seriously considering having another before it's too late. Is there anyone out their in their 40's and pregnant? Do you all think that it would be a bad choice for my other two?
I also had an umbilical hernia with my last pregnancy and had surgery to repair it about 2 yrs ago. Does anyone know if that will be an issue or will tear?
Any help or opinons would be apprciated!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bricely HB User
Re: Pregnancy at 40?

My mother had my little sister at 40yrs old and she was big and healthy, its to not late, it all depends on how you feel if you really want one. were not here to judge but to give support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi - I turned 40 over the weekend and I am due next week. (I actually thought labor was starting yesterday morning -lots of BH contractions- but no baby yet!) I plan to nurse this little guy for a while, and as of right now, my DH and I are planning to try for one more after that. We have a large family - this new baby will be number 9, he will be the seventh biological and we have two adopted - and it works out great for us. If you are really committed to the idea of another person in your family and your partner is as well, I think your other two kids will be fine.

I remember hearing one time on this subject that you never really hear of a family that "didn't work out" because of the age range between children, or how many children are in the family, as long as both partners are filled with love for the children.

I am sorry I can't add anything about the hernia, but I am sure your doctor could help you decide what the risks are if you decide to become pregnant again.

Best of luck - it's a big decision! Marirose

I'll let you know how labor/delivery goes as a forty year old as soon as I find out!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User

my grandmother had 7 children she started at 18 and had her last at about 42
the kids were all healthy and she had no problems with the pregnancy or delivery.. now this kinda family is not for everyone, but everyone is different at different ages.. if you are ready and prepared to start again and have a new one in the house and the energy and if you are healthy and your dr thinks its safe, why not?? 40 is the new 30 there are higher chance of birth defects and other problems to think about, but the risk is still pretty small i think.. you hear of women in their 40s having kids all the time.. its how young you feel i woudl def. talk to my dr tho before ttc good luck

Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

I am 37 and pregnant with my first. When I mentioned age to my doctor yesterday he said not to put too much into that as his mom had his brother at 45 and said he is the smartest of the family! He said don't go by what books say and just leave it to fate. My mom had me at 36 and my dh's mom had he and his twin at 40. There are many ladies that have children over 40 - if it is what you want don't let people talk you out of it. I don't know anything about hernias - that you would have to discuss with your doctor.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rbettis HB User

I am 40 also and expecting my first baby. So many people told me to hurry up cuz this and that... you know all kind of diseases for babies coming from dads and moms over 40. So far so good. My baby has been okay. I stressed so much about that it wasn't even funny. Now I find myself constantly thinking about "autism". I hear it so much on TV about statistics being 1 in 166 for dads over 40 (my DH is 40, only 21 days older than me). I just recently heard that the stats have increased to 1 in 150... when I see those news or shows like that, I now turn the channel. I don't want to hear anything that depresses me. I leave it up to God.... Same for those negatives friends ... well, if you can call them "friends". I have a neighbor that asked me the other time if I wasn't afraid that my baby would be born with...mmhhh how do you call that... mmmhhh, when the babies are born with problems on their lips.. like they have a cut in the middle and therefore they don't articulate words well later on... in Spanish is "labios Viperinos"... don't know how it would be translated into English. I just said to her: "I try NOT to think about those things. I just focus on my baby and what they Dr has said so far". She continued rambleling about birth defects on women over 40. I just pretend I have something else to do and I have to leave.

My advice, If I would have to do it all over again, I would not stress like I did. I think now days women can deliver healthy children and no matter how old they are.

My mom had my youngest sister when she was 38. ... and if you take a look at Hollywood (since that is on TV more often), women are having their first child at 41 and over.

It is never too late when happiness arrive .

Closed Thread