It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User
what does "back labor" feel like?

I'm 36w5d with twins (so, full term) and haven't had many real signs of impending labor. However, today and tonight my back has been in a lot of pain. Right now it's only on one side, but usually it's across the lower back, and it's pretty constant (not contractions that come & go). Does this sound like "back labor", or is my back just in pain because my 40lb belly is too much for my small frame to handle?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: what does "back labor" feel like?

Hi -

I didn't have twins, but my back labor was like one long horrible backache that nothing I could do helped alieviate.

I strongly suggest you call your doctor now and let the doctor decide if you need to go to L&D to be checked or just go to L&D yourself and let them call the doctor.

Congratulations for getting this far with the twins!!!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

mjm629 HB User

Congrats on your pregnancy!! Back labor is pretty intense and gets worse as you progress through labor. It sounds like you just have a bad back ache, for good reason! It does warrant a call to your OB though, just in case. Keep an eye on contractions and drink lots of water to make sure you're not just dehydrated (happened to me a bunch)

I had my baby girl in December and had lots of back labor. I had relatively easy contractions with a strong backache til my water broke. After that I got horrible pains in my back and sciatica-like pain shooting down both my legs. It was pretty much unrelenting until she was born (which thankfully was only 2 hrs after my water broke!) When she crowned I would have sworn she was breaking my back. But it stopped right after that and was totally fine....it's amazing how quickly the pain all goes away. I didn't have an epidural or anything and managed just fine.

Good luck!

Last edited by mjm629; 03-18-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: hit submit before i was done

Old 03-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

i know with mine the back pain went up my back when i was in labor and i know they say get up and walk around and if it gets worse then you are in labor. it is so hard to tell sometimes. i have been pregnant 3 times only with one baby each time and had HORRIBLE back pain so i can't imagine the back pain with twins. if it does not get better i would say call the dr. just to be safe.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
(female)

mommy4raegan HB User

Hi Suesy -

I saw that you will be induced in a short few weeks congrats! As far as labor - I only had one, but it feels like a really, really bad period. It will start ing the front of your stomach, go to you back and then radiate to the front "area". Bad labor is really intense. I had it with my DD. I actually went into labor on my own, on my due date, my water broke at home. We went to the hospital, they checked me and i was dilated to 1!! Holy crap it was intense. They put me on potocin to speed things up and 4 hours later I got the epidulal (sp) and everything was great. Took a nap, push for 20 minutes (i did not feel a thing except pressure) and there she was. So for back labor yes bad, but drugs, yes good!

I can't wait to here!

Leah

PS: Janice saw heart beats on Friday. One baby is measuring 9mm and the other 11mm. She will be 8 weeks this week.

Closed Thread