It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
(male)

ny2125 HB User
wifes ultrasound

my wife had an internal ultrasound today. the tech said she is 5 weeks and 5 days. they could see a sac/yolk. she is to go back in one or two weeks again to check on the status.
here is our situation: last summer she took a preg. test and it was positive but a week later she got her period.
last november she went for an internal ultrasound again, and we cant remember if they actually saw a sac/yolk at about 5 weeks. she had the same tech today and the tech said she didnt recall seeing anything back in november. then in december she went for an 8 week internal ultrasound, and the sac/yolk was there but nothing was growing. so she had to have a d and c. we have had two healthy babies, but 4 years later we have these issues. she and i are both 32 yrs. old.
so what do we make of today's test? is it ok to just see a sac/yolk at this point (5weeks 5days)? her numbers are good, her dr. told her last week from the blood work. we are just so nervous. any insight would be great!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User
Re: wifes ultrasound

I think it's good you saw a sac/yolk this early. Some people might not see anything. I know your nervous due to previous issues but I wish you both luck! Make sure your wife takes it easy and I am sure when she goes back in a week or 2 things will be even better! Stay positive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Hello! I just wanted to say, that I know how you are feeling...sort of. I haven't had to have a d and c, but had a harder time getting preg this time compared to my first. This time I also had bleeding at 4 weeks. I thought I was miscarrying. I bled for 8 hours straight, and hard. Very scary. I was sent for blood tests, normal...then an u/s at 5 weeks. They too saw a yolk sac/egg sac, and could even tell me which ovary I ovulated from (neat). Okay, so they claim that that is completely normal at this stage. They said they would have been very surprised to see anything more than that. My doc sent me for another one at 7 weeks to make sure there was a heartbeat. You could see it clearly on the u/s. So, i would make sure she is at least 7 weeks to be sure you can see that. The tech also pointed out the head and said that is about all you should be able to see at that point. So, to answer you, your wife is totally where she should be. Next time, you should see a heartbeat and what they call a fetal pole (which is bascially the baby).Good luck. I am sure you will have a nice healthy baby. I am now 20 weeks and preg with a boy (girl last time) and doing fine.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

I would agree...seeing just the yolk sac at 5 weeks is normal. I had infertility issues and when I became pregnant, my 5 week u/s was the same--just a round yolk sac, not much to look at. At 6 weeks you could see a tiny blip (the embryo) with the heartbeat too, although I was told at 6 weeks not to be too concerned if we couldn't see the heartbeat then--so don't worry if you don't. And at 7 weeks, I could see the embryo with a more obvious heartbeat and a yolk sac diminishing. So, I think all is normal so far with your wife's u/s. Good luck.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Closed Thread