It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

babycrazy HB User
Abnormal ultrasound

Last week at roughly 7 weeks, I had an internal ultrasound due to limited spotting (all shades) starting at six weeks. An appropriately-sized embryo with an age appropriate strong heart rate was noted. That's all I thought I wanted. However, there was a "bump" (radiologist's term) noted nearby, possible in the gestational sac. I saw it on the screen, and it's maybe twice the size of the embryo. Now I have to go to maternal-fetal medicine for a consult, follow-up ultrasound. All my doctor says is they don't know what it is and it could take over the baby, or it might be nothing. I have six more days to wait until the consult, and am obviously freaking out. Anyone have this type of experience?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

vigette HB User
Re: Abnormal ultrasound

I dont have any good advice, but do you have fibroids by any chance?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

babycrazy HB User

None noted in my last pregnancy (3 years ago), and none that I'm aware of since then, but I am getting on in years and am over 35.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I've had what could be a similar experience. Everything was going well with our pregnancy when I went for my 18 week ultrasound. They found a large cystic mass next to and around the placenta. At this point, I am 32 weeks along and they still have no clue what it is. It is not a fibroid. They have been calling it a molar pregnancy. My baby has remained completely healthy and active. They watch it bi-weekly and measure it's size and keep track of my HCG levels to make sure they are not rising. When we had the 18 week u/s, I was told to consider terminating the pregnancy b/c of the maternal complications in addition to the high possibility that the baby would not make it past 24 weeks. We decided after good amnio results to continue on with the pregnancy. Everything has been fine and the baby looks great. I am VERY glad I did not take the doctor's advice to terminate. They still have no clue what the mass is and will not know until delivery when they send the placenta to pathology to be tested.

I know how scary it is and my heart goes out to you. Stay strong and try very hard not to assume the worst.

Andrea

Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
(female)

babycrazy HB User

I did a lot of research on partial molar pregnancy as soon as I got the results. What's most unclear to me is if it would be noticed in such an early ultrasound. I did also find chorioangioma, which is a condition of the placenta that mimics a partial molar placenta (cysts, etc.) but accompanies a healthy fetus and I believe does not have the cancer risk of a partial molar. Maybe that will turn out to be your issue.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I think that with the Molar pregnancy it would be detected early, but with no baby. With the PM Preg, It would take a bit longer to diagnose. Although they keep calling my pregnancy a Molar, I think they are only doing so to be safe. My OB believes it is really just a cyst. I hope so too! Worst case would be a Molar twin pregnancy.

Closed Thread