It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User
Question Low Progesterone but fetal heartbeat

Hi everyone! I'm 7weeks today. I've had 2 m/c previous to this so I'm frightened something will go wrong again. I've really had very little symptoms. I've had the typical pinches and I am extremely tired (lack of caffeine?) but no m/s. My bbs were sore but then that seemed to have faded about 2 weeks ago. I went to the doctor about a week later and my b/w was concerning. My HCG was within normal range at 2200 in the middle of week 5 but my progesterone was only 9.8. My doctor was concerned that it was ectopic or another nonviable pregnancy. Follow up b/w showed my HCG went up about half in two days. To our surprise the u/s showed a fetal heartbeat within normal range at 6 w 1 d and the radiologist said it was measuring right where it should be. My doctor has since put me on progesterone pills. I'm sorry this is so long but can anyone tell me if I should still be worried about my hormone levels after seeing the heartbeat? Has anyone else had a similar situation?

The Following User Says Thank You to Sprout07 For This Useful Post:
thecoveted (06-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User
Re: Low Progesterone but fetal heartbeat

The progesterone suppositories will raise your progesterone QUICKLY! Glad that you were able to see a fetal heartbeat.

What is your due date? Congratulations!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

Thanks for the response. My due date is November 28th. I'm definitely glad to be on the progesterone because I would never forgive myself if I didn't try it and the pregnancy ended. For as many women who I've heard say they were on progesterone and had healthy babies, I've read reports that low progesterone is a sign that something is not right and not a cause of miscarriage. My doctor said the heartbeat is very reassuring and that the hormone levels are just a guide, but I can't help fearing that the low progesterone levels are a sign that something will go wrong eventually. I guess I just need to realize that something could go wrong at any time no matter what my levels were. I have a scan next monday so hopefully everything is still going well.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

Hi sprout,
I too had low progesterone with this pregnancy. I am due Nov. 25th (with twins!!!). My prog. started at 8.4 and I was already on suppositories. They increased them to double the dose. The highest it got was 13. Then they started me on prometrium three times per day which is progesterone by mouth plus added the suppositories a third time per day. It's helped and my prog. was at 24 on my last test. I feel better now. We've seen the heartbeats as well. During this time, my HCG was more than doubling every 48 hours (probably cause of the twins).
I too read a lot about women who've taken progesterone and it saved their pregnancies. There's nothing wrong with trying it so why not. I totally believe in it. I was spotting at the beginning and that's stopped which I think is from the progesterone. I believe I would have lost them if it wasn't for the progesterone.
Congratulations! I hope this pregancy is happy and healthy for you.
Stacy

Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

Hi stacydl,

Congratulations to you as well. I hope the best for both of us and hopefully we will spend a healthy 9 months together! It really makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one going through this. You sound really optimistic and it makes me feel better to hear it. My doctor didn't really say much after the ultrasound other than it was reassuring. So I've kind of been left hanging until my next appointment on the 23rd. Did your doctor have any reassuring things to say after seeing the heartbeats? I'm so happy for you that you are having twins! Twice blessed! Please let us all know how your appt goes on Thursday. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User

Waiting sucks and is sooooo hard! Do you have anything that can help keep you busy?

Just remember......you're carrying God's little gift to you and your ultrasound was reassuring. Your doctor wouldn't tell you that just to get your hopes up. I think you're going to have a great pregnancy!

CONGRATS!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

Hi Sprout,
The ultrasound techs where I went for the infertility treatments are great and they are allowed to explain everything as they go. She told me that everything looked great and that she would feel comfortable telling people about the pregnancy at that point.
I was very nervous because I had a miscarriage in october after seeing the heartbeat, however, I knew things were not progressing normally with that pregnancy because the HCG was not doubling and the gestational sac measured very small.
I feel much more confident this time because my HCG was rising hte way it should and everything measured normally during the ultrasound. I would say that you have every reason to believe that everything will be fine if everything measured normally and your HCG was doubling every 48 hours or so. Those are very good indicators that everything will be ok. THe progesterone could have been a problem, but now that you're taking the pills, it should bring your levels up out of the danger zone. When do you go for your next test?
Try to keep positive, I know it's hard waiting though.
Stacy

Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

Hi there stacydl. I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I'm starting to feel a little better but I know me, and I won't be completely relaxed until I see it on the u/s again. My HCG at 5 1/2 weeks was 2200 and when they took it again 2 days later it was about 3100...not double but it may have been close to double by the end of the 2-3 day window. That's when they took the u/s and everything measured ok and saw the heartbeat. I have heard of women whose hcg took more like 4 days to double. My doctor did say that she would be concerned if the level hadn't gone up or went down but that it did go up over 1000. I think my biggest problem is that my dr office is a very big practice and I don't feel I have the type of relationship with my dr that I can just call her up and ask questions.

Anyway, thank you for your support and please let us know how your next appt goes!

Take care!

Closed Thread