It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User
Urgent!!! Anyone know much about the cervix position during pregnancy???

Hi Ladies,

Hope someone can put my mind at rest quickly. I was just getting ready for bed & wiped once going to the toilet & noticed a slight (could have just been reading too far into things) tinge to the toilet paper. I am trying not to stress & trying to keep in mind that our toilet paper does have some patterns on it so perhaps i just saw the colour through some cervical mucous or something.... but i am sooo worried & i don't think i am going to be able to sleep tonight now!!!

So after seeing this, i quickly went & had a wash & then inserted my finger (sorry if TMI) into my vagina to see if it came out clean (no blood). When i had my finger in there i felt my cervic & it had like a little hole (which if i could have reached further, i could have probably inserted the tip of my finger through), & i am worried that this means that my cervix is low & open.... is this a sign of miscarriage??? I am trying not to stress, but i just remember with my first miscarriage my OB saying that my cervix was low & open (i think he said cervix..... could he have maybe said uterus & i am stressing myself out over nothing?)

Please any info will be so appreciated.... i am sooo worried

Crystal xoxoxox

Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Urgent!!! Anyone know much about the cervix position during pregnancy???

Hi -

Just saw this and since it's Monday morning, I'd suggest calling your doctor, telling the nurse what you're concerned about and asking to be checked today. With your history of a M/C, they should be glad to see you to relieve your worry. This is why you have a doctor - so you and your baby can be well cared for.

How far along are you?

Then buy some white TP!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Thanks Barbara,

I am just over 9 weeks (9 weeks on Sat gone). When i finally decided to go to bed last night i checked again & it felt like my cervix was higher again! I could still feel it (just) but the hole wasn't there..... it felt like it may have rotated & the little hole was round the back, so it was hard to get a proper feel. Maybe it's normal, i don't know

There has been no blood, so i am guessing that what i saw on the toilet paper was just mucous & i just freaked..... it's not like there was heaps or anything (i was just assuming i would have a dry wipe, but it was quite wet & i freaked).

Checked again this morning & it's still high (not sure how high it's s'pose to be at 9 weeks..... i know every woman is different, but anyone have any ideas?). Can't feel the hole still.... again it feels like it's at the back

I looked up cervix during pregnancy on the net & it came up with a load of things, & one of them was incompetent cervix & it said how some women have a weak cervix & it thins out & begins getting ready for labour at any stage because the pressure is too much. They say the cervix creates like a funnel to start with (and this can happen with no pain) & then it dilates enough & the baby is born whether it is ready or not! This is scary

My OB is on holidays at the moment so i don't really want to go unneccessarily.... i wish i knew if something was wrong, but i do feel better about things this morning so maybe i'll wait & see what happens & just keep an eye (or a finger.... lol sorry) on my cervix. With my miscarriage, i remember when i went in for my checkup afterwards my OB was going through the test details of myself & my baby & he said that it wasn't incompetent cervix (but how would he know?). And if it wasn't that time, does it mean it can't happen this time? Sooo confusing. I want an ultrasound machine at home with me

Anyhow that's about it.... i have an appt with my GP on Thursday to get a medical clearance, but i am also going to ask him about a possible yeast infection that i had last week (which happened to disappear by itself) & whether that has anything to do with the mucous i saw last night. I didn't use anything for it, i just made an appt & Thurs was the soonest they could see me except now the itchiness has gone away. Still going to get it checked out though. And although he's not my OB, he might also be able to shed some light on this cervix issue!!! My OB gets back the 22nd May but i don't see him again until the week after that, so fingers crossed everything goes fine. I have my NT scan on the 21st may but that is at the Hospital.... not at my OB's clinic, so atleast i have that in between to see my little bean.

I have hope & i just want to stay positive for mine & my baby's sake, so we'll take it one day at a time & see how we go. We'll make it through it!

Take care & thanks again for your post, Crystal

Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
(female)

mari123:) HB User
Wink Re: Urgent!!! Anyone know much about the cervix position during pregnancy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb_one View Post
Thanks Barbara,

I am just over 9 weeks (9 weeks on Sat gone). When i finally decided to go to bed last night i checked again & it felt like my cervix was higher again! I could still feel it (just) but the hole wasn't there..... it felt like it may have rotated & the little hole was round the back, so it was hard to get a proper feel. Maybe it's normal, i don't know

There has been no blood, so i am guessing that what i saw on the toilet paper was just mucous & i just freaked..... it's not like there was heaps or anything (i was just assuming i would have a dry wipe, but it was quite wet & i freaked).

Checked again this morning & it's still high (not sure how high it's s'pose to be at 9 weeks..... i know every woman is different, but anyone have any ideas?). Can't feel the hole still.... again it feels like it's at the back

I looked up cervix during pregnancy on the net & it came up with a load of things, & one of them was incompetent cervix & it said how some women have a weak cervix & it thins out & begins getting ready for labour at any stage because the pressure is too much. They say the cervix creates like a funnel to start with (and this can happen with no pain) & then it dilates enough & the baby is born whether it is ready or not! This is scary

My OB is on holidays at the moment so i don't really want to go unneccessarily.... i wish i knew if something was wrong, but i do feel better about things this morning so maybe i'll wait & see what happens & just keep an eye (or a finger.... lol sorry) on my cervix. With my miscarriage, i remember when i went in for my checkup afterwards my OB was going through the test details of myself & my baby & he said that it wasn't incompetent cervix (but how would he know?). And if it wasn't that time, does it mean it can't happen this time? Sooo confusing. I want an ultrasound machine at home with me

Anyhow that's about it.... i have an appt with my GP on Thursday to get a medical clearance, but i am also going to ask him about a possible yeast infection that i had last week (which happened to disappear by itself) & whether that has anything to do with the mucous i saw last night. I didn't use anything for it, i just made an appt & Thurs was the soonest they could see me except now the itchiness has gone away. Still going to get it checked out though. And although he's not my OB, he might also be able to shed some light on this cervix issue!!! My OB gets back the 22nd May but i don't see him again until the week after that, so fingers crossed everything goes fine. I have my NT scan on the 21st may but that is at the Hospital.... not at my OB's clinic, so atleast i have that in between to see my little bean.

I have hope & i just want to stay positive for mine & my baby's sake, so we'll take it one day at a time & see how we go. We'll make it through it!

Take care & thanks again for your post, Crystal
hi I agree with the women barbara, call your doctors office today do not wait,
I don't know your personal history, But I had an abortion done, somtimes women suffer from weak cervix after abortion or it can be just a family thing, anyway you sound worried I would go in your docs office for an appointment right away just for your peace of mind..

Old 04-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
(female)

mari123:) HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari123:) View Post
hi I agree with the women barbara, call your doctors office today do not wait,
I don't know your personal history, But I had an abortion done, somtimes women suffer from weak cervix after abortion or it can be just a family thing, anyway you sound worried I would go in your docs office for an appointment right away even just to see the person on call tell them you feel something is wrong you know just : for your peace of mind..

Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

LotusAwakening HB User

i'm not sure about your situation but i know my cervix is tilted to the right and up towards the ceiling. my ob has to really try to get an accurate "reading" on whats going on in there. she said b/c it's tilted it makes things feel unusual sometimes abd can give false impressions.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Thanks for all your replies so far.... please keep them coming!

I called healthdirect (a 24hr registered nurse phone service), today & the lady i talked to said that she couldn't really find out much info from the information i gave her, so it was best for me to go & see my OB & get an ultrasound & vaginal exam to be sure. She said the tinge on the toilet paper could indicate that i have an infection & that it needs checking asap, but then when i called my OB office & spoke to the midwife on duty, she was very calm about the whole thing & insisted that discharge (whether it be creamy white or yellow) is completely normal during pregnancy & to expect it & she also said that the fact that i can reach my cervix isn't an issue. She said that most women can feel it (if they try) & that the hole is normal.

What she did mention though..... was that after a m/c, D&C, abortion & also a normal birth, the cervix may never close up completely again & may always have a small opening, but not be of any risk in future pregnancies. She said that women who have had 12 or 13 babies have that hole & most times it doesn't fully close up after each one, neither does it cause concern for miscarriage due to incompetent cervix (most of the time), which is what i was worried about.

She said because during my D&C the doctors had to dilate me & that even just a little bit of dilation can cause the cervix to not fully close up & not to worry too much. Also during my research on Incompetent cervix i discovered that it usually becomes an issue in the second trimester of pregnancy & sometimes even in the third, but there is a treatment called cerclage that can be performed (a stitch in the cervix around the 16 or 17 week mark) to help strengthen the cervix if need be. She said i can ask at my next appt to have my cervix checked by ultrasound & internally (if there is a need), so that has kind of put my mind at rest for now, although my next ultrasound appt is not until the 21st May..... but i have an appt this Thurs with my GP who is great, so if i'm still worried i guess i can ask him if he could possibly put my mind at rest.... maybe if he could perform a vaginal exam just to check that everything feels normal maybe.

Anyhow, i'm feeling a lot better & hopefully tonight i'll get a better night's sleep. I am putting the discharge down to normal discharge during pregnancy, but i am going to ask my doctor to take a swab for testing, because i think i may have had a yeast infection last week (which the midwife assurred me was very common also in pregnancy) but it seems to have gone away by itself. I mentioned this to the midwife & she said that perhaps my body just got use to it & the symptoms stopped but the infection could still be lurking, so i am getting that checked on Thursday too. Hope all is good

Take care & i'll keep you all updated..... positive thoughts

Crystal xoxoxox

Closed Thread