It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jeska117 HB User
Ingrown Toenail during pregnancy?

Hey guys, about a couple months ago a blowdryer fell on my big toe and small toe. The small toenail has a big black bruise on it and the other toe has gotten very swollen lately and also has a discharge coming from it. I am worried that it may be affected, but even more worried that I am going to have to have some kind of surgery. I don't want this to go untreated, but I am terrified of what the doctors would have to do. Please tell me if this would be very bad during pregnancy or if it can wait. Also if there are any at home treatments that would be wonderful. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: Ingrown Toenail during pregnancy?

Hey Jeska!

The discharge may be a sign of an infection in which case you need to go to the Dr. and get antibiotics. There are antibiotics safe for pregnancy. I am on one right now for a UTI! They may cut around/off the toe nail so they can clean it, but i don't think it would require any major surgery. As for the other toe nail it'll fall of on it's own eventually. Sometimes is takes awhile though...
The only reason I know all this is because DH has had an similiar experience.
Hope you feel better and definately call the doctor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi there,

I am actually graduating from podiatry school this month so I can definately help you out! Typically if your toenail is infected removing it is all you need. Most of the time you do not need an antibiotic unless it is extremely infected. Go see a podiatrist and they will remove the ingrown nail and have you soak it for a few days and you will be better in no time!!! It is a very easy minor procedure but do not try to do it yourself b/c it can get a lot worse! Your little toe sounds like you have a hematoma under the nail which is just dried blood. Your nail will eventually fall off and a new nail will grow in. Since it has been a couple of months a new nail is probably growing in and pushing your old nail out. If it is lose the podiatrist can remove the nail from the nail bed also. I would make an appointment right away before your infection gets worse!

Good luck!

Koukla

Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
(female)

heathergirl HB User

I have had many ingrown toe nails in my life it started when i was eight, off and on it would hurt it wasnt untill i was 20 that i went to see a dr for it. All they did was numb my toe and clip off the part that was growning into my side of my toe. There are many things you can do at home. My dr told me to soak it in epsom salt (spell check) for about 20 mins and pull the skin away from that side of your toe. of if you have like a little file on your nail clippers you can pull it away with that that worked for years for me. and just poor poroxcide into it. that will normally take the infections out. and start at the base of the infection and just push with your thumb all the way up. ( i know it hurts but you have to do it) also my grandma taught me a wonderful trick you put just bacon fat on your infecton part of your toe put a couple of band aids on your toe and go to bed. and im not kidding it really pulls that infection right out! Sounds really gross but it will help get the infection out untill after you have your baby. I dont think i would see a dr for it untill after you have the baby. My foot was numb for a few days and was very pain full for weeks after. and i have a very high pain tolerance. My dr put me on a antibiotic and it gave me the runs! i was always using the restroom like you would not believe! I would try some of those things i mention before seeing your dr about it. It might save you a trip and a copay. just some thoughts let me know if they work.

Closed Thread