It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User
empty gestational sack

Has anyone had an early u/s and they found the gestational sack but nothing inside it. I went to my first drs appt yesterday and first they tried to tell me I was 7 weeks which is off , I'm 5 weeks according to my math and all the due date calculators and such. They did an ultrasound and found the gestational sack but couldn't see anything inside it , which in turn stressed me out cause I had a miscarriage in November after 10 weeks, My fiance and I have been trying since the doctor gave the ok to start trying again . I have another u/s in two weeks and hopefully they will find something then. My sister said not to worry because about 5 weeks along u/s really cant see anything but the gestational sack and I've read a dozen or more accounts of peoples doctors freaking them out by telling them their gestational sack is empty. All I can do at this point is pray . Has this happened to anyone else?Should I be overly stressed out?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User
Re: empty getational sack

With mine, at 5.5 weeks they saw the gestational sac - but that was it. There was a tiny "smudge" that later turned out to be the start of a yolk sac. The yolk sac may be developing still and it'd be too soon!

Hang in there! Its stressful, isn't it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I also had nothing show up at around 5 weeks. I had to go back 2 times before they saw the sac at 8 weeks. Don't worry too much just yet. I do love when they tell YOU when you conceived. I felt like saying, "where you there!?" They are off my date by about a week. I know exactly when I conceived, I'll never forget since it was 3 days after my last m/c. Think positive!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

hmah314 HB User

Stay positive! I had the same thing happen to me. My dr. couldn't see anything but a sac as well at 5 weeks. It wasn't untill 8 or so weeks that they finally saw what they were supposed to. My HCG levels were rising but not as quickly as they wanted them to. So, I was terribly stressed...thinking the worst of course! I know how you feel but try and stay positive!! Think happy thoughts and good luck Keep us updated

Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

OTTOCH HB User

HI... I WAS 6 WEEKS WHEN MY DR DID THE FIRST U/S AND DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING, JUST DE SACK.... SHE DID BLOOD TEST AND A SECOND U/S AT 8 WEEK AND THERE WAS A BABY!!! SO DON'T WORRY, I THINK IS PRETTY COMMON WHEN IT IS THAT EARLY..... DID YOU DR DO ANY BLOOD WORK TO CHECK YOUR HCG LEVELS???YOU'LL BE FINE AND YOU WILL SEE YOUR LITTLE ONE PRETTY SOON!
GOD BLESS

Last edited by OTTOCH; 05-08-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

Well they took blood yesterday and today I called to get my hcg levels and I got put on hold forever and after everything today I think Im going to have to find another OB to go to. They lost my results. The lab cant find them, the office cant find em. So I have no idea what the levels are so Im waiting for them to call me back.

OH I wanted to say thank you so much to all of you that replied to my post. That makes me so much less stressed than I was. Now I just have to hope that I get a call back soon that they found my labs and such.

Last edited by LiseK; 05-08-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
(female)

hmah314 HB User

Yeah, I don't blame you. I would find another one too. I wish I had chosen another O.B. with this second pregnancy...I loved the entire staff the first time around but my dr. has since expanded and gotten way to big and busy. Now they don't know what way is up. It is very important to feel like you have a good relationship with your ob's office. I think it helps a lot!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
(female)

mba111 HB User

I had u/s at 5w4d, nothing was seen. At 6w4d, they found empty gestational sac. My Hcg had risen to 3500 from 585 in 7 days. Dr. says 95% chance I will miscarry. I go again tomorrow for u/s. He says if there is no development, he will schedule d & c. Does anyone one have similar history that turned out with a happy ending?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

Good luck tomorrow , I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

I was refered to another OB by a friend who is 16 weeks pregnant and she has been raving about them. Wish me luck

Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

hi Lisek, i agree with the above posters. But i am wondering if you counted 5 weeks from day of ovulation? OBGYN's count from tthe day of the start of your last menstral cycle wich would make it 7 weeks (if you were really counting from day of ovulation). It IS confusing but you slowly get use to it.

Good luck at the new OB, prayers with you

Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

No I counted from my the first day of my lmp which was april 1st. I know that they were wrong and not paying attention when I told them this because even if I had thought my math was off one of my nearest and dearest passed away on march 10th and last saturday marked the 8th week , I know this cause it takes that long to process an autopsy report in ohio and we've all been sitting around biding time waiting on the results to know why he passed. But thats not the subject Im here to well at this point just rant and rave about , with an lmp of April 1st that would make me 5 weeks. I've double checked and triple checked. Anyway , I did come to the conclusion after they lost my blood test results and such that was a good sign to find another ob. ya know ?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

If you feel you need to get another OB, I would do so. You have to stay with them for 9 months + and should like and trust them. For the most part, I really like my practice. There is one really goofy doc who ended up delivering my last child. He drives me kinda nuts b/c he's so smart when it comes to being a doctor, but so dumb, you know?? I would talk to some frineds and get a good recommendation from someone who was very happy with their practice. Good luck!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User

Thanks for the input , I feel the same , I'd been using the medical center at the university that I live near and they did all my prenatal care and delivery for my other two kids and I never had a problem with them paying attention to what I was saying . Oh well its been 6 years since I've been there for OB appts so obviously some of the staff has changed. I am setting an appt with an OBGYN that my friend recommended highly so I would imagine that will help alot. Now until then I can just sit mildly stressed out . haha.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
(female)

mba111 HB User

Update: My 7wk 4d u/s still showed an empty sac. Dr. said no chance an embryo will develop. Had D and E on Friday.

Closed Thread