It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User
Something to put my mind at rest please.

Hi everyone,

Well i had a horrible, horrible night last night. I felt something moist in my underwear at approximately 5:15pm so i went & checked & it was a spot of blood..... only it was more a browny colour, like oldish blood & more of a small smear than a blob. Anyhow i had been experiencing a bit of lower abdominal discomfort on my right side earlier in the day, but just put it down to the normal stretches of pregnancy. So with these two things put together, i quietly freaked out & called my OB office who were closed & then my GP & he had gone home, so i called Emergency & they said to come down asap to be checked because any bleeding during pregnancy is cause for concern apparently.... so i went sown & arrived at 5:30pm.

Long story short..... i sat in the waiting room for 6 hours, with people who were arriving hours after me just skipping infront of me & being seen. I felt like i was invisible. People with cut hands were just flowing in before me & i felt helpless. My dad arrived after i had been waiting for 3 and a half hours and had words with the triage nurse (not too calmly i might add), & she stood there & said (loudly enough for me to hear & i was at the other end of the waiting room.... so everyone else heard aswell), that "Sir if she's going to lose the baby, she's going to lose the baby.... there isn't anything we can do for her". This is after 3 and a half hours waiting & i just thought, "Yes, but i could have atleast some clarity &/or piece of mind". She said that i was classed as low priority & that's why i had been just sat there waiting My dad was understandably upset because he took my last miscarriage quite badly & the worst thing is, when he was talking to her to begin with, she piped up & said, "Oh... is she pregnant now" & she was s'pose to be the co-ordinator & be prioritising according to patients conditions & she claimed she didn't know i was pregnant! What the hell would i be there for then lady!!! Not to mention i had already been triaged & gave all my symptoms & things to the other nurse, so she (who was at the next window where they take your medical details & next of kin etc) should have looked at my notes surely I was sooo mad but trying to stay calm for my babys sake.

After finding this out, she assured my dad that i would be next in, however still 2 more went in before me (my dad had gone home at this point... otherwise he would have created), but couldn't give me a time frame, so i waited & waited & waited & finally it got to 11:30pm (so 6 hrs of waiting in that waiting room & a huge headache) & they took me through to a bed where i was left alone for another half hour & then the doc came, asked a couple of questions, had a poke around, got a wee sample & tested for UTI etc & then referred me for a scan today. What was the point of that??? 6 & a half hours waiting..... to spend 10... maybe 15 minutes with a DR. It's pathetic.

I even asked the triage nurse shortly after my dad left if it was worth me hanging around any longer becasue with my first pregnancy, they just did a pregnancy test, said everything was still fine & sent me on my way. Which i found out afterwards was pathetic, because HPT's can show up positive up to 2 weeks (sometimes longer) after a miscarriage.... so i was just wondering if it was worth my wait. Anyway..... sorry for the long post. Nearly finished She told me that they can get a doppler & even order scans up until midnight if need be & told me to wait, so i did.... silly me i should have known

When i asked the DR he said that they only order scans in emergencies & that by getting the doppler, i might end up worrying if we can find a heartbeat & not sleep well. I said to him that i'm not going to sleep well anyway & that i didn't wait all this time for nothing, but then i just said "Whatever.... give me the sample cup & then i'll be on my way". The urine sample showed up positive to pregnancy (not a big surprise cos i knew it would regardless)..... & it showed up negative to any UTI's etc. So.... what a waste of time. I could have been at home resting & been more comfortable than i was there. Mind you.... when i did get home at 12:30am, i had a few sticks of cheese because i hadn't eaten anything since lunchtime & took my prenatal vitamin with a quarter of a cup of orange juice & by the time i had walked from the lounge to my bathroom.... it was ready to come back up again & i vomited twice

I so hope this is just a stomach bug or something & that the spot of blood was just coincidental & not anything to do with my baby. I can't go through it again I just can't understand why i can't understand my body enough to know whether there is something wrong or not! Are we s'pose to be able to know, because one minute i'm hopeful that everything will be ok & the next i'm thinking the worst but still trying to cling onto hope I just can't seem to stop worrying & find myself expecting the worst... which i don't want to do, but at the same time i don't want to tell myself that everything will be fine & then be caught off guard. I just feel sick to my stomach at the thought of bad news!

There's been no more spots or anything & every wipe has been clear except for one this morning that had a browny coloured tiny stringy bit of discharge on it (which didn't look too worrying). So fingers crossed & i have my scan at 3:30pm today, so only 3 hrs to go... except it's dragging on forever & i feel so nervous i think i'll probably vomit again The pain in my lower right hand side abdomin is on & off & not painful, but it is noticeable & sometimes switches to the left side occasionally, but more prominently on the right.

Please try & give me some more hope & lift my spirits a bit.

Crystal xoxoxox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

klr2k HB User
Re: Something to put my mind at rest please.

Oh Crystal Im sorry you're going thru this. I dont have any experience in this - but wanted you to know my heartfelt thoughts and strength are with you. I dont know where you are in WA - but Im in WA too and would NEVER go back to that hospital...ever. Are you scheduled to give birth there or can you go somewhere else? I would if you can.....take heart that things are likely ok - and if it were me Id be asking questions like mad at your appt!!

Good luck and Ill be thinking of you!
The Mase ~ 6/8/07

All boys!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

babyluv01 HB User

crystal i'm sorry about your experience. when i was 14 wks i woke up to get ready for work and went to use the bathroom and wiped and there was a lot of red blood. i wiped like 6 or 7 times until it became brown. so like you i went to the er. lucky for me that morning there wasn't anyone there so i got right in but the er doc didn't know anything about u/s we saw the h/b but he thought the body was the head and head was body and an arm was a leg!!! he was just guessing. i asked if he'd check around and see if he saw any tears or anything but he didn't know what he'd be looking for. so he sent me on my way telling me i'm a threatened miscarriage and not to get my hopes too high. but since the baby had a h/b we still had a chance. i was worst then than when i went in for the bleeding!!! then later that week i had a horrible pain in my right side and knew i had a bladder infection but it took me 5 hrs to be seen to tell me i had a bladder infection. the nurse told me that i couldn't eat or drink anything in case i had to go in for emergency surgery for appendicitis!! i was like WHAT??!!!! i knew exactly what was wrong!! so now that i'm 22 wks i can go to L & D and see people who know what they are doing.
i hope you are feeling better. i don't know how far along you are but after talking to an ob later (4 wks later i have a crappy hospital too) they said around 12 - 14 wks women sometimes bleed due to the stretching and sometimes the placenta is adjusting into place.

feel better!! ~angelica
2 fur babies - hershey (min pin) & socks (calico)

Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 AM   #4
(female)

sara26 HB User

so sorry to hear what u had to go through Crystal

i will keep ur in my thoughts and prayers today hope everything goes well for you

sara xoxox

Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

good luck for your scan today crystal, ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
i know how worried you must be, i remember when i was preg with my daughter after my first m/c, i went to the toilet at work and had a tiny tiny bit of blood when i wiped, it wasnt even as big as a pea and i completely freaked.
brown normally means its old blood, so ill be keeping my fingers crossed for you, do let us know how things go (im sure everything will be fine)

Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Hi Girls,

Went to my scan & everything with the baby looks fine & there was a heartbeat of 165 bpm & i was assured that this was within normal range for 11 weeks. I'm meant to be 11 weeks on Sat coming, but bub measured 11 today so i wasn't complaining...... that's a positive thing in my eyes. Aslong as he/she isn't measuring 49 weeks at birth i don't think i'll be too worried

The baby was doing some little turns & moving his/her arms & legs around & was measured at 11 weeks which is great because with Caitlyn (my first which i lost at 17 weeks), every time i went for a scan they always asked me how far along i was & then put her back a bit so i don't think her growth was 100% & it was sooo reassuring to see that bubs is ok & measuring right.

The lady doing the scan said that there didn't seem to be any obvious reason for the bleeding that she could see & said there was plenty of fluid surrounding my baby also which was a good sign. I felt like i was going to vomit when i walked in the room because i think my nerves were just playing up & even after i left it took the nerves a good hour to settle down & then i could actually eat something substantial without feeling sick. I ate a healthy home-made salad roll at about 4:30pm & then just had another for tea, so i'm feeling a lot better now i have eaten & just have to get ontop of this wind & try to determine whether the uncomfortable pains just come when i get wind because if so, then that could be all it is

I had another small smear of brown blood about an hour before my appt but nothing since, & like you said Gem.... they say brown blood is old blood so i'm hopeful that this is all going to be ok Stomach discomforts are continuing on & off every now & then but mainly bad wind & i think i do have a stomach bug which will hopefully pass within a couple of days & plenty of rest

Klr2k.... thankyou for your warm wishes & i am seriously considering going up to King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women to give birth, because i was treated there for my miscarriage in December & the staff were great.... & so caring which is more than i can say for the ones last night. I live in Mandurah, south of Perth in WA so i was at Peel Health Campus last night.... is that where you went? I am not sure at this stage what i will decide, because emergency is a seperate wing of the hospital & the maternity staff all seem really nice from my sisters birth experience, so i may stick with the local hospital. She delivered here & they treated her kindly. I think it's just Emergency departments in general, no matter where you go..... so we'll see

Babyluv01.... i'm glad you are doing well now! Best wishes to you. Thankyou so much for your reply to my post! It's most appreciated. It made me realise that there can be a happy ending & that not every bleed can = disaster. So thanks I actually thought that it could be appendicitis because of the way it was swapping sides, but i don't think the DR even asked me about that & i forgot to ask him, so i don't know if urine samples would pick that up.... i doubt it, but if the pain persists i'll definately make another appt with my OB sooner to get checked.

Sara..... thankyou for your kind wishes & thoughts. It's great to have this support. It's so easy to unload on these boards & the women (& men) are just so helpful & supportive. I really appreciate your reply so thankyou

Anyhow, off to bed now to give myself & bubs some well deserved rest. I'll sleep well tonight i think

Goodnight everyone & thanks again, Crystal xoxoxox

Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

im glad everything turned out ok for you crystal
it may have been old blood from implantation, i bet you were so relieved to see her/him swimming around happily, i hope you have an uneventful rest of pregnancy

Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

klr2k HB User

Well thats good news Crystal....I woke up thinking about you this morning, hoping all went well.

I live on the west side of WA.....in the Puyallup area, by the Western Washington Fair. Im not familar with where you are in conjunction to me, but I would be terrified about that hospital myself. I would also consider asking your doctor/midwife where else you could deliver. Just, if for nothing else, safey and peace of mind. Im one of those opinionated people tho, lol. So if I thought I was being wronged someone would know and Id likely never return, so take my opinions lightly, lol as I usually have one (opinion) for everything, lol!!

Take care of you and keep us posted Crystal!!
The Mase ~ 6/8/07

All boys!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
(female)

sara26 HB User

Crystal glad everything went well for u hunni

Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User

I'm sorry for your bad experience. Not sure how far along you are, but spotting in early pregnancy is not uncommon. I am almost 7 weeks and have had 2 episodes of very light spotting. They found a bleed in my uterus, but not near the baby. My dr said they see it in up to 50% of their patients in their first trimester, and for the most part, it will heal itself. Unless it's bright red blood and is accompanied my cramping, my dr says that most of the time it's nothing to worry about.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Yeh well it was relieving to see him/her with a healthy heartbeat, but i am still quite anxious because with my last pregnancy i went in at 12 weeks & everything looked fine & then even though i miscarried at 17 weeks, they say my baby died between 12 & 13 weeks... shortly after my scan, so i can't help but be wary.

Thankyou all for keeping me in your thoughts

I called my GP this morning & the results from the scan had been sent to him but he had no idea of why i had the scan, he just thought it was booked in, so i told him the situation & he said that i am going to be anxious either way probably until i get to about 20 weeks & that the brown blood is most probably cervical blood & nothing to do with my baby, so i'm just going to try & focus on that & stay positive.

I had a little more browny spotting this morning once i stood up (but only a little bit), but it was like it was liquified & i was worried it could have been a little leak of amniotic fluid, but my GP assured me that it is very unlikely & that the scan showed plenty of fluid surrounding my baby & that even if there was a small pin *****..... most times this heals over by itself.

I thought i'd be fine after my scan, but i can't seem to stop worrying. I have faith in my little bean to fight until the very end, but i just can't help but feel helpless

My stomach is still a little curdlish but i'm still putting that down to a stomach bug or maybe even another stage of m/s. Oh & also wind

Klr2k.... i'm not sure where you are either..... i've never heard of it before hahaha

Well best wishes to everyone & take care of yourselves & your little beans

Remember plenty of rest because we need it.

Crystal xoxoxox

Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
(female)

pradasweets1983 HB User

Crystal, don't you live in australia or something? Does WA mean western australia? Cause I live in Wasington state like the other lady and thats in the US.

I am soo sorry for your worry. I know what you mean about one minute you are happy and hopeful and the next you have a mini panic. I have been better with this baby but of course after 3 losses I still get mini panics too, no matter how much I keep focusing on the positive. That is so great that your bub is moving and wiggling about. I wish I was that far along already. I am just 9 wks 4 days. Close, but not close enough.... But I don't want the baby to get the wrong idea, I still want it to grow big and strong and full term. "Do you hear me baby? mind momma!". haha

take care , Jessica

Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Hey Prada,

Yeh WA is the abbreviation for Western Australia. Klr2k is from WA also, but i'm not sure i've heard of the place before. I know with a lot of places they share similar city names etc, so there's probably one in the US aswell but she is from WA.

Thanks for you kind wishes It's sooo worrying & i just have to try & stay positive. You'll be where i am in no time. I know time really drags, but we'll get there, i'm sure. Slowly but surely I know what you mean about not wanting your baby to get the wrong idea. I find myself saying that i can't wait & then have to correct myself & say that i can't wait til December when i get my healthy full-term baby boy/girl...... so you're not alone there.

What is your milestone? In the way of worrying a bit less? I'm heading for 20 weeks before i will feel more comfortable, so still a while to go, but staying hopeful!!!

Take care Jess & keep up the updates, it's great!

Crystal xoxoxox

Old 05-11-2007, 03:22 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb_one View Post
I thought i'd be fine after my scan, but i can't seem to stop worrying.
i dont think you'll ever stop worring hun, i never did, i even bought a doppler, and would listen to it first thing in the am, then just before i left for work, then all day at work id be worring and then as soon as i got home i would listen again and then before i went to bed, it does get easier when you can feel the baby move but then you worry about if he's moving enough lol
hope your feeling better today

Old 05-11-2007, 04:14 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

Good morning everyone!

Crystal- I am glad everything turned out to be fine when you went to the dr and had the scan. I totally empathize with you. I think you and I are going through a very similar situation. I too had a m/c (mine was at 10 weeks) and another one that was a chemical pregnancy. I too am now 11 weeks. I know exactly what you mean about the worrying setting right back in after an appt. It's like I go, hear the hb, fly high for about 1 1/2 days, and then I start to worry and count down the days until my next appt! I feel like a lunatic! I want to rent a doppler but my DH has advised that I do not because he knows how I am, and knows I would freak out if I couldn't locate it myself so I am still debating. Right now my appts. are every 2 weeks, so I can manage. But after this they start to be every 4 weeks and I don't know if I can go that long with no reassurance. My sister went through this as well and just had her baby so she is very comforting and just tells me to enjoy today because today I AM pregnant. That's all we can do. I also know that with my experience, that I still worry but I do feel better that I've officially made it past the point where my baby stopped developing the first time (that was 8-9 weeks). So it comforts me to know that whatever stage in development it got stuck at, this baby has passed that. So maybe once you hit the 12-14 week point, you will also feel better.

Whoever made movies that showed pregnant women all happy and suddenly boasting a nice belly should be sent to trial with a bunch of pregnant women as jurors! We grow up thinking how wonderful it will be and then we get here and realize it is nothing like we thought it would be. It's wonderful and amazing, but it is downright scary!

Closed Thread