It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

jaxie 77 HB User
Another Gestational Diabetes Question !

Hi ladies , well im just looking for some info really as im not finding much of anything on the internet that's answering my questions !
Well i have noticed a lot of posts lately about Gestational Diabetes , and although i hav'nt been tested yet i am starting to worry a little about this !! (because i worry about everything !!) Well i am 22 weeks tomorrow and i had my last app last Friday , all was well except my BP was high :140 over 85 . It was the same at my first app also, but fine the next ! Anyway, what i have read so far is that this is a factor along with obesity , which i would say is a category i fall under,i was 274 lbs at the beginning of my pregnancy , but since changing my diet when i found out , all in all i have lost 6 lbs so far . I do eat healthy and hardly ever eat sugary or sweet foods that contain a lot of sugar , although im not sure if this even has anything to do with GD ??? There is no history of any diabetes in my family , but both my mother and grandmother suffered from high BP ,my mum is on permanent meds for it now .
So ....what im getting at is ....is it LIKELY that i will have this ? or is this a random thing ? Do any of you who have been overweight and had high BP NOT developed this ?? And also is there anything i can do here on in to maybe prevent it before i get tested ? And will i definately get tested ? Nothing has been mentioned to me so far about this and i forgot to ask about it last week !!!!!
Any info is much appreciated girlies , as always
Take care everyone xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx u

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LotusAwakening HB User
Re: Another Gestational Diabetes Question !

i've had blood pressure issues for years but since i've been pregnant it's only been high a few times and went back down on it's own. before i found out i was pregnant i was about 185lbs at 5'7". i've gained 70 lbs. during this pregnancy and i'm now 40w6d. if your ob office collects a urine sample every visit, they're checking protein levels as well as signs of a uti. luckily i have not developed gestational diabetes but i recently developed a uti. ugh! anyway, i wouldn't worry too much. just know the sighns and trust that your ob will catch it if you do develop it. try not to let the internet freak you out too much. i know it did me in the early days!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User
Re: Another Gestational Diabetes Question !

Jaxie.....as you know I have gestational diabetes. I had no idea that I had it before the glucose test. I would think you would have the glucose test around 26 weeks. That is when most have it. I had it early because I have a strong history of diabetes in my family and am overweight.....266 when I got pregnant. I was up to 274 when diagnosed and am now back down to 266 and I'll probably lose more. It's good if you stay away from sugar even if you don't have gestational diabetes and watch your carb intake. Lost of veggies and protein is what your baby needs. I have no sugar, limited carbs, 3 cups of veggies a day, 9 ounces of protein a day, and 2 servings of fruit.

I don't know if you will be tested or not. I know my group of Dr.s test everyone between 26-28 weeks. It's mostly dangerous if undetected in the 3rd trimester. And the biggest worry is that the baby will get too big.

I'd say the biggest indication without being tested is an unquenchable thirst after eating something sweet. Looking back.....I'd be terribly thirsty after eating ice cream and drink like 1/2 gal of water before going to bed!

I hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

River

Oh, high blood pressure does not cause gestational diabetes nor does it mean you will develope it. It's actually the opposite. Gestational diabetes can cause high blood pressure!

Last edited by rivergirl939; 05-21-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Closed Thread