It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User
Low Blood Glucose/Sugar??

I am calling my OB tomorrow morning, first thing. I posted on here last week due to tingling in my mouth, mostly tongue and lips. It now it happening in my hands. I am an anxiety sufferer, who has done extremely well during pregnancy. I do not really believe that these symptoms are from that, as I have felt great otherwise. Until tonight. I have had the symptoms above on and off all day. They only seem to last for short periods of time, and seems to happen shortly after eating. I didn't have it yesterday...and had quite a bit to eat on and off all day. Plus I was very active. My quesiton is, does anyone experience this when there sugar could be low. My glucose level at 26 weeks (and after drinking that yummy orange stuff) was only 80 or so. The doc allows for up to 140. Being that this was after a SUPER sugary drink, is it possible that I may have naturally low blood sugar?? Or because I am pregnant and the baby is taking sugar from my body? I am now 30 weeks. I also have been getting a slight headache, dizzy type feeling and mild blurred vision with this. My pulse also doesn't feel as strong when I have these symptoms. It also seems to get better after eating something with sugar in it. Again, I am calling OB tomorrow, but just curious if anyone else has dealt with low blood sugar during pregnancy?? Thanks! Oh, and the sites I have been on says these symptoms can happen as low as 65. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User
Re: Low Blood Glucose/Sugar??

I have high blood sugar so I'm not sure about your symptoms being low blood sugar. I have the tingly feeling in my right arm from shoulder to fingertips while sleeping, on the computer, driving, and on the phone. I know others who have this also. It's due to the extra blood in your body and veins being swollen and all that......not low blood sugar. Also the baby does not take sugar from you. The baby gets nutrients from your blood and cannot take more than you have there. The sugar is in your blood so if you have low blood sugar the baby will too or in my case if my blood sugar is high then the babies will be too. I'd talk to your Dr. about this as soon as you can though. My Dr. said low blood sugar can be worse for the baby than high blood sugar. Also, as long as your sugar is over 60 you should have no symptoms of low blood sugar. 60-120 is normal during pregnancy.

Hope this helps.

River

Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Thanks River. I am awaiting a call from my OB, but won't get one until this afternoon, as he is in surgery. My sugar (even when not preg) runs in the 80's. I don't know if it is this or not, but read that if it drops 20-25 that this can give you low blood sugar symptoms (which are what I am having...). My mother has low blood sugar and I get it very easily (even when not preg) if I don't eat for a certain amount of time. So, who knows? It is just weird sensations. I am sure my doc will ease my mind. Or make me do more bloodwork. I never had this for my first pregnancy. I will update as soon as I hear from the OB. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Got the call from doc around 4:30...long wait! He says that he wants recheck my glucose levels...even though they were "perfect" last month. He says with my fast weight gain and all that he wants to check it again. So, I have to do that on Friday. Yeah. He said he is really chalking my tingling and all to temporary pregnancy paralysis. I thought when that happened that it was an all the time thing, not just happened after you ate. I am very confused. I could go to my regular doc, but he told me that they probably wouldn't do much being that I am pregnant. I wanted to say "well that is why I called you!" But I didn't. He is really a good doctor. Seemed a little bit preoccupied today. Usually he will ask me if I have any other questions, and I did, and was waiting for that, when he told me he hoped I felt better and to take care!! He must have been really busy! So, I get to have more blood work, but I am not too concerned about it. He told me that if it is low blood sugar, there isn't much they will do about it, they leave it alone. So, whatever. I am trying to just ignore it when it happens and pray that it will go away soon. Thanks for your replies and concern. I am hoping to get some extra rest the next few days, which may help too.

Closed Thread