It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
(female)

lindsjean HB User
really scared, hopefully gas!?!?!?

Hi ladies

I was wondering if any of you had severe gas pains in your upper abdomen during the first trimester of your pregnancy? last night i had severe upper abdomen pains and the doctor said it could either be gas pain or an ectopic pregnancy....since i have had two previous ectopic pregnancies this news terrified me ..... b/c i am only 4 weeks and 4days the docs could not see the baby through and ultra sound in my womb. My question to all is have any of you gone through anything like this?

TIA

Lindsjean

Old 06-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

vigette HB User
Re: really scared, hopefully gas!?!?!?

I am not familar with etopic pregancy but it vvery well could be gas. It also could be a gall bladder attack.

What did he tell you to do???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I was severly bloated my whole first trimester. If it is really painful, not like gas pain, then I guess I would worry a little. Did they say when they could tell whether or not it is etopic? I will pray for you and your little bean.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

meluca HB User

yes. i had major, severe bloating and gas. it was painful and uncomfortable and i often wanted to cry from it.

i hope that it is gas/bloating and not an ectopic pregnancy.
please keep us posted,
m

Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

When I had my ectopic, the pain was low, not high in the abdomen. But I guess anything is possible. Do you have any bleeding/spotting? I really hope it is just gas. What did he tell you to do??? How long will you have to wait to find out??

Wishing you all the best.

Holly

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
(female)

lindsjean HB User

HI Ladies! Thanks for your replies! I am not having any bleeding(thank god!)/spotting.....the doc told me get some rest/take it easy....if i have more severe pains and/or bleeding go to the ER. What i remember the most about my other ectopic preg. was i bleed right away...so i think it is a good sign that i am not bleeding i have so many emotions right now....

lindsjean

Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
(female)

lindsjean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyncurren View Post
When I had my ectopic, the pain was low, not high in the abdomen. But I guess anything is possible. Do you have any bleeding/spotting? I really hope it is just gas. What did he tell you to do??? How long will you have to wait to find out??

Wishing you all the best.

Holly

Holly during your ectopic pregnancy did you have pelvis pain?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Not that I can remember. The pain I had was definitely in my lower abdomen. Very extreme. I started spotting within days & the pain only got worse. I literally had to stop whatever I was doing and just bear it.

I wish I could give you more details, but my ectopic was back in 2001, and I was so scared that I can't remember all the details clearly. It seemed like it all happened so fast, finding out I was pg, getting the stabbing pains, spotting, and then going in for emergency d&c and lap. I just know they weren't high in my abdomen, so I really hope you are not going through another ectopic.

Please keep me posted.

Holly

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Hi,

When i was about 5 weeks along i went into my OB to rule out ectopic because i was having some shoulder pain & some lower abdominal discomfort, so my OB did the ultrasound & could see only a sac at that point, however it was all in the right place & no tubal pregnancy was evident.

I think i scared myself into thinking it could be possible because i was browsing something to do with pregnancy on the internet & came across the symptoms of ectopic.... one being shoulder pain (like in the shoulder blade area) & this is what i had been experiencing.... so naturally i was scared to death & called my OB asap who told me to come in straight away for a scan. He was so good..... he was aware of my previous miscarriage in Dec at 17 weeks because he was my OB for that pregnancy too, so he didn't want to take any chances & although he did say that he may not be able to actually see anything from the ultrasound..... he still wanted me to come in & get checked out.

Long story short.... everything was fine with me & i'm now 14wks 5days today I still suffer gas quite badly & i can feel it penetrate from my back & into my chest & then it's like it travels down towards my abdomin (bypassing & upsetting everything as it goes) & then it curdles for a bit in my lower abdomin..... right ontop of my uterus it feels like It can be quite painful/uncomfortable (moreso uncomfortable), but i just make sure that i sit up straight & try to breathe through it. I am able to tell the difference between gas & anything else quite easily, because it usually starts quite high up & travels downwards I started getting this around about 4 weeks, so i hope & pray that yours is just gas. Remember..... breathe through it!!!

Also keep in mind that the pain that you are experiencing could just be the normal stretches to do with pregnancy & that maybe your growing uterus could be putting pressure on a nerve or something that is sending pain into your chest or something similar. I know that 4 weeks is early, but the body starts changing from day dot remember Hope you are fine!

My OB said that if there is any pain at all..... it is usually quite constant (although it can come & go) it usually gets more & more severe due to the internal bleeding. He said the abdominal pains are usually lower down in the abdomin (not saying that they couldn't be higher.... just what he told me) & are also sometimes accompanied by back/neck & shoulder pain. He added also that most times (once again.... not in all cases).... women will not just experience one of the symptoms at a time, it's usually a variety of things all together & the pain escalates, eventually causing the pain to get so bad that they walk hunched because of the pain they are experiencing. I hope i'm not worrying you.... just telling you what he told me.

Here's some info i found on ectopic & the symptoms. I just ******d ectopic pregnancy to find this, however sometimes i do find that the internet does more harm than good in trying to diagnose our problems..... so i would also encourage you to try & get in to see an OB asap (possibly around the 5-6 week mark so they could possibly see the sac developing).

What Are the Signs and Symptoms?
Ectopic pregnancy can be difficult to diagnose because symptoms often mirror those of a normal early pregnancy. These can include missed periods, breast tenderness, nausea, vomiting, or frequent urination.

Pain is usually the first red flag. You might feel pain in your pelvis, abdomen, or, in extreme cases, even your shoulder or neck (if blood from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy builds up and irritates certain nerves). Most women describe the pain as sharp and stabbing. It may concentrate on one side of the pelvis, and it may come and go or vary in intensity.

Any of the following additional symptoms can suggest an ectopic pregnancy:

vaginal spotting or bleeding (You don't have this yet so that's a good sign)
dizziness or fainting (caused by blood loss)
low blood pressure (also caused by blood loss)
lower back pain

The hormone hCG appears in the blood and urine as early as 10 days after conception, and its levels double every 2 days for the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. If hCG levels are lower than expected for your stage of pregnancy, doctors are one step closer to diagnosing ectopic pregnancy. (I don't know if i'd trust this 100% because some women's HCG levels are just lower in early pregnancy & everything turns out fine.... but maybe worth checking if it's too early to detect anything on another scan).

The doctor will also give you a pelvic exam to locate the areas causing pain, to check for an enlarged, pregnant uterus, or to find any masses in your abdomen. You'll probably also get an ultrasound examination, which shows whether the uterus contains a developing fetus or if masses are present elsewhere in the abdominal area. But the ultrasound may not be able to detect every ectopic pregnancy.

Anyhow..... my thoughts are with you & i hope that all goes positively with your pregnancy I hope that this info has helped you a bit, even though i realise you have had an ectopic before (& i haven't) i just thought that a bit of info written down might help you to rule a few things out & hopefully stress a little less...... easier said than done i know, but i hope you can.

Best wishes, Crystal xoxoxox

Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
(female)

lindsjean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb_one View Post
Hi,

When i was about 5 weeks along i went into my OB to rule out ectopic because i was having some shoulder pain & some lower abdominal discomfort, so my OB did the ultrasound & could see only a sac at that point, however it was all in the right place & no tubal pregnancy was evident.

I think i scared myself into thinking it could be possible because i was browsing something to do with pregnancy on the internet & came across the symptoms of ectopic.... one being shoulder pain (like in the shoulder blade area) & this is what i had been experiencing.... so naturally i was scared to death & called my OB asap who told me to come in straight away for a scan. He was so good..... he was aware of my previous miscarriage in Dec at 17 weeks because he was my OB for that pregnancy too, so he didn't want to take any chances & although he did say that he may not be able to actually see anything from the ultrasound..... he still wanted me to come in & get checked out.

Long story short.... everything was fine with me & i'm now 14wks 5days today I still suffer gas quite badly & i can feel it penetrate from my back & into my chest & then it's like it travels down towards my abdomin (bypassing & upsetting everything as it goes) & then it curdles for a bit in my lower abdomin..... right ontop of my uterus it feels like It can be quite painful/uncomfortable (moreso uncomfortable), but i just make sure that i sit up straight & try to breathe through it. I am able to tell the difference between gas & anything else quite easily, because it usually starts quite high up & travels downwards I started getting this around about 4 weeks, so i hope & pray that yours is just gas. Remember..... breathe through it!!!

Also keep in mind that the pain that you are experiencing could just be the normal stretches to do with pregnancy & that maybe your growing uterus could be putting pressure on a nerve or something that is sending pain into your chest or something similar. I know that 4 weeks is early, but the body starts changing from day dot remember Hope you are fine!

My OB said that if there is any pain at all..... it is usually quite constant (although it can come & go) it usually gets more & more severe due to the internal bleeding. He said the abdominal pains are usually lower down in the abdomin (not saying that they couldn't be higher.... just what he told me) & are also sometimes accompanied by back/neck & shoulder pain. He added also that most times (once again.... not in all cases).... women will not just experience one of the symptoms at a time, it's usually a variety of things all together & the pain escalates, eventually causing the pain to get so bad that they walk hunched because of the pain they are experiencing. I hope i'm not worrying you.... just telling you what he told me.

Here's some info i found on ectopic & the symptoms. I just ******d ectopic pregnancy to find this, however sometimes i do find that the internet does more harm than good in trying to diagnose our problems..... so i would also encourage you to try & get in to see an OB asap (possibly around the 5-6 week mark so they could possibly see the sac developing).

What Are the Signs and Symptoms?
Ectopic pregnancy can be difficult to diagnose because symptoms often mirror those of a normal early pregnancy. These can include missed periods, breast tenderness, nausea, vomiting, or frequent urination.

Pain is usually the first red flag. You might feel pain in your pelvis, abdomen, or, in extreme cases, even your shoulder or neck (if blood from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy builds up and irritates certain nerves). Most women describe the pain as sharp and stabbing. It may concentrate on one side of the pelvis, and it may come and go or vary in intensity.

Any of the following additional symptoms can suggest an ectopic pregnancy:

vaginal spotting or bleeding (You don't have this yet so that's a good sign)
dizziness or fainting (caused by blood loss)
low blood pressure (also caused by blood loss)
lower back pain

The hormone hCG appears in the blood and urine as early as 10 days after conception, and its levels double every 2 days for the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. If hCG levels are lower than expected for your stage of pregnancy, doctors are one step closer to diagnosing ectopic pregnancy. (I don't know if i'd trust this 100% because some women's HCG levels are just lower in early pregnancy & everything turns out fine.... but maybe worth checking if it's too early to detect anything on another scan).

The doctor will also give you a pelvic exam to locate the areas causing pain, to check for an enlarged, pregnant uterus, or to find any masses in your abdomen. You'll probably also get an ultrasound examination, which shows whether the uterus contains a developing fetus or if masses are present elsewhere in the abdominal area. But the ultrasound may not be able to detect every ectopic pregnancy.

Anyhow..... my thoughts are with you & i hope that all goes positively with your pregnancy I hope that this info has helped you a bit, even though i realise you have had an ectopic before (& i haven't) i just thought that a bit of info written down might help you to rule a few things out & hopefully stress a little less...... easier said than done i know, but i hope you can.

Best wishes, Crystal xoxoxox

Hi Cryastal

Thanks for your kind words and your docs words! They have made me feel better! You are right in saying that the info on the net can be more harmful than good....i have looked on EVERY website there is about ectopic pregnancies and all of them have scared me to death!! I try to relax but it is sooooo hard! I wish i knew everything is okay The good thing about my situation is i am still not bleeding and God willing i won't start. With my previous two ectopics i bleed right away. anyways I have a docs appt this tues but that seems like years away I am no longer feeling that pain that i described before however i believe i feel a burning sensation in my right abdomen. however i may be bringing this on myself,since i am worried all the time....it seems as if anything i feel i use it as a sigh that i am having an ectopic preg..... sigh...i must relax! anyways back to the point... thanks again for your words. i really appreciate them!

Lindsjean

Old 06-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

You are very welcome

I will keep you in my thoughts & will keep my fingers crossed that your appt on Tuesday goes well. All you need to do in the meantime is get some well deserved rest & keep positive thoughts, because like you said yourself..... you haven't got any bleeding yet so that's got to be a good sign. I think you are right about the burning sensation maybe being brought on by your worry, because a lot of the time we create symptoms out of fear, that may not even be our pregnancy..... & who knows, they could even be imaginary with the mind frame we get ourselves into sometimes.... so positive thoughts are the key.

Maybe try to plan something that will take your mind off of it a little, so that time can pass a bit quicker. Not sure of any suggestions really, but because you should take it easy, what about inviting someone over every day to spend the day with & chat (about non-pregnancy issues). Someone different every day that is.... between now & Tuesday, because that might help you to take your mind off of the worry a little & also pass the time between now & then. But like i said.... just a suggestion. It might not be that easy if you work or have other commitments, but it could be worth trying for the time that you do spend at home just dwelling on it

Hpw many weeks are you along again? Was it about 4 (or about 5 now?) I am 15 tomorrow & around the 4 to 5 week mark, i started having..... not a burning sensation as such, but like an aching dragging feeling in my lower right abdomin.... basically right down near my groin & then after about a week, it was on both sides & then occasionally also in the middle. I asked my OB about what it was that i could be experiencing & he didn't seem concerned at all.... he just explained that when the uterus is doing it's job in pregnancy, it begins lifting up higher & higher & all of the ligaments that were holding it in place prior to pregnancy are having to stretch, therefore creating this pain. Maybe this is what you are experiencing now & you are just describing it differently to how i did.

Anyhow.... goodluck at your appt & please let us know how you go with everything.... we're all here to listen & support you. I also have my 15wk 4day appt on Wednesday next week & that also seems like forever away, so i know exactly what you mean, but it just makes it all the more longer when you are worried doesn't it???

Like i said though... POSITIVE THOUGHTS

All the best, Crystal xoxoxox

Old 06-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
(female)

lindsjean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb_one View Post
You are very welcome

I will keep you in my thoughts & will keep my fingers crossed that your appt on Tuesday goes well. All you need to do in the meantime is get some well deserved rest & keep positive thoughts, because like you said yourself..... you haven't got any bleeding yet so that's got to be a good sign. I think you are right about the burning sensation maybe being brought on by your worry, because a lot of the time we create symptoms out of fear, that may not even be our pregnancy..... & who knows, they could even be imaginary with the mind frame we get ourselves into sometimes.... so positive thoughts are the key.

Maybe try to plan something that will take your mind off of it a little, so that time can pass a bit quicker. Not sure of any suggestions really, but because you should take it easy, what about inviting someone over every day to spend the day with & chat (about non-pregnancy issues). Someone different every day that is.... between now & Tuesday, because that might help you to take your mind off of the worry a little & also pass the time between now & then. But like i said.... just a suggestion. It might not be that easy if you work or have other commitments, but it could be worth trying for the time that you do spend at home just dwelling on it

Hpw many weeks are you along again? Was it about 4 (or about 5 now?) I am 15 tomorrow & around the 4 to 5 week mark, i started having..... not a burning sensation as such, but like an aching dragging feeling in my lower right abdomin.... basically right down near my groin & then after about a week, it was on both sides & then occasionally also in the middle. I asked my OB about what it was that i could be experiencing & he didn't seem concerned at all.... he just explained that when the uterus is doing it's job in pregnancy, it begins lifting up higher & higher & all of the ligaments that were holding it in place prior to pregnancy are having to stretch, therefore creating this pain. Maybe this is what you are experiencing now & you are just describing it differently to how i did.

Anyhow.... goodluck at your appt & please let us know how you go with everything.... we're all here to listen & support you. I also have my 15wk 4day appt on Wednesday next week & that also seems like forever away, so i know exactly what you mean, but it just makes it all the more longer when you are worried doesn't it???

Like i said though... POSITIVE THOUGHTS

All the best, Crystal xoxoxox

Thanks Crystal, your advice puts my mind at ease. I am off of work until we find out if eveything is okay with the baby. so nonetheless i have a lot of free time until tues...i think i am going to spend some time with my mother in law. Today i haven't felt any pain, but the day is still young. I wish my docs office would have given my a blood test at least to numb my worries. but tues is only four days away so i am going to try and enjoy my time off and my pregnancy. per my own calculations i am 4w6d prego....this is a really good sigh b/c i had my previous ectopic surgeries around this time....anyways how are you feeling??

Closed Thread