It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

Ravishing HB User
Uncomfortable Sleeping

I'm 13 weeks and its starting to get a bit difficult to sleep. My back is starting to ache a little and its hard to find a comfortable position.

I've been looking at pregnancy pillows but they're a lot of money and I'm not sure if its worth the investment or if I should just go buy a body pillow or more regular pillows.

I'm curious what other people have found helpful for getting comfortable at night?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

JerseyChick HB User
Re: Uncomfortable Sleeping

with my first pregnancy I bought 2 body pillows one to snuggle with and one for in between my legs. Thought that the pregnancy pills were to expensive myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

HappyMom2Be HB User

I have a maternity pillow that I love..I will probably use it even after pregnancy for just resting. It's the boppy kind.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LotusAwakening HB User

i to used a body pillow plus a few regular ones. those pregnancy ones are WAY too expensive! ridiculous! sorry to say but the uncomfortable sleeping issue will just get worse. sorry! but it's all worth it!

Last edited by LotusAwakening; 06-16-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

Ravishing HB User

Is it normal to be uncomfortable when sleeping this early in pregnancy? I'm actually kind of surprised that I'm having trouble sleeping already.
I'm a thin person and don't have a noticeable bump yet. I can tell I'm growing and so can my husband but the average person doesn't know I'm pregnant to look at me. For some reason I always thought you didn't get uncomforable until you had a big baby bump.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
(female)

Sweet73 HB User

I was 5 months pg when I gave into the investment of my snoogle, and it was well worth it. Once your belly starts to grow bigger, I found the snoogle gave me the support I needed everywhere, part of it is between your legs, & it can wrap around to support your back or wedge under your tummy if that makes you more comfortable. It is an S shaped pillow. I am now 39 wks preggo, and unfortunatley nothing works, you will get to a point where you are beyond pillows, so make the investment now & get the comfort you need while you can!
Wishing you a happy, healthy & comfortable next 6 months!
-Sweet

Old 06-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
(female)

yellowbird14 HB User

Oh, the uncomfortableness definitely starts before bump time! For me, it wasn't the growing belly, but my sore, aching breasts! I couldn't sleep on my stomach if I wanted to in the beginning. I'm at 22 weeks now, and it's amazing how quickly a stomach sleeper (all my life) can change her sleeping habits! Good luck

Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
(female)

pradasweets1983 HB User

I am 15 wks and right from the get go( it was mental) I started to sleep on my sides as I didn't want to hurt the baby even though I know that early on I wouldn'tve. I too have been a stomach sleeper my ENTIRE life and now I haven't, not even once. I find when I try to sleep on my back in the early mornings, I feel a pressure in my stomach which is most likely the baby and uterus but its ubcomfortable and I have a fear I am cutting off the blood flow somehow. I have found another problem too. When I sleep on my sides now I have developed a soreness, like a bruised feeling and I too am thin so I wonder why this is. I also have a memory foam matress and so I wonder why this is. Its annoying I'll tell ya that much. I think pretty soon I will invest in a pregnancy pillow.They are like 80 bucks right? I dunno, what ever will make these 9 months a little better.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

I am 27w2d and started getting uncomfortable around 20weeks. I HAD a body pillow until my kitty barfed all over it. I have been meaning to replace it In the meantime I have 2 pillows on either side of me, so four in total....DH complains that there is no room left for him! But I have no choice...the back pain and especially leg pain are really really kicking in now. I have also decided that we are getting a new mattress! I was also a tummy sleeper my whole life and I am still not used to sleeping on my side.
Good luck!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
(female)

archelle HB User

Hi a BODY PILLOW is worth the investment. It was $20 and luckily I got it as a gift for Xmas plus a suede-velvet pillow case w/c cost $15, but you can live w/o the suede-like pillow case. Even if I didn't get it as a gift I still would've bought it if I were you. I never had trouble sleeping since then. I was about 16 weeks when my back started aching but since the pillow (really long body pillow) my pains were gone, also for some reason I use two pillows for headrest, once is regular thin at the bottom and the top is the contoured shape pillow from Costco (kinda like sharper image that value up to $100) but I only got if for $30 (two pillows in one box). At 13 weeks, the one headrest pillow is enough but as you get bigger it's better to double up on the headrest and one pillow behind you plus lie on your LEFT SIDE and use the body pillow. Hope this helps. Go to costco (if you have one in your area or Wal Mart or Target) they are almost the same price. $20

Old 06-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
(female)

uma_anne HB User

OK, so this advice has nothing to do with pillows (though I do use a pillow between my legs at night). I met another pregnant woman at a party a few weeks ago, who adviced consuming something with POTASSIUM in it right before bedtime. I've tried this and it's actually worked for me. I had horrible leg problems where I'd get cramps or one or the other leg would fall asleep depending on what side I'm lying on. Consuming potassium helps. Blueberry juice, cherry juice are good sources as are bananas of course. I've also heard that extra calcium supplements are supposed to help.

Just thought I'd share that since it's worked wonders for me.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

It's funny that you mention potassium! I have always known that potassium helps with muscle cramps because muscle contractions involve sodium and potassium...so low potassium results in muscle cramping. But anyway, my husband's grandmother sleeps with a bar of soap under her sheets because she gets leg cramps when she sleeps and she swears it works! I think it's an old wives tale, but maybe it does help. And the potassium before bed probably does help reduce muscle cramping. My problem with sleeping at this point is that now that my bbs are bigger, I don't know what to do with them! They seem to get in the way of getting in a comfortable position. Plus I like sleeping on my stomach and back so I am constantly waking up and having to go back to my side. I'm 16.5 weeks so I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I will get used to it.

Take care!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
(female)

daddyslilgirl13 HB User

I know how you feel, I too am very thin.. (I am 19 weeks now.), and at the begining I was having horrible back pain. I couldnt sleep at all at night, then they went away for a couple of weeks, and sure thing now they are back. My mom bought me a pregnancy pillow, and I honestly think that it works a great deal. I am able to fall asleep quickly because it is so comfortable.

Closed Thread