It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Sharp abdominal pain - 35 weeks

I am 35 weeks today and have been having sharp abdominal pain in the upper left part of my abdomen all day today. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I don't recall anything like this with my first 2. I can't tell if it's the baby's position or the placenta or something else going on. Yesterday, I lifted one end of a table that was probably too heavy for me to be lifting, plus I did laundry and carried my 2-year-old up and down the stairs a few times. It didn't start hurting until this morning, though. Thankfully, I haven't had any bleeding, but how do I tell if it's the baby's position or something more? (I called my OB's office, but they just said to lay on my left side for a while and if it's not better by tomorrow or if I have any bleeding, then call back, so they weren't much help.)

Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
(female)

lovebug81 HB User
Re: Sharp abdominal pain - 35 weeks

Do what your doctor says, but if the pain gets any worse I would go straight to the ER. Could be a kidney stone or anything.. take it easy but seriously if the pain gets worse go to the ER

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

inked HB User

try what the dr says but remember no one knows your body like you as far along as you are you have every right to be concerned if nothing else go to the er and have them put your mind at ease never to safe. good luck

Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't lie on my left side yesterday because it put more pressure on the area that was painful and made it hurt more. I was in a lot of pain all day and evening, but this morning I seem to be doing better so far. Maybe it was just the position of the baby, but I was a little concerned that it might be the placenta or something more serious due to lifting things I probably shouldn't have been the day before. I guess there'd probably be bleeding if it was the placenta, right?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

If you're still uncomfortable - physically or concerned and in need of reassurance - call your doctor's office and just ask when you can be seen today, that you need to be worked into the schedule because you still don't feel right. Be firm and ask to speak to a nurse if the scheduling person tries to put you off. Politely insist.

Post-partum, I had to tell my doctor's office that I was coming in to be seen because something was wrong and when did they want me to arrive. I didn't let them delay me. Turned out I had some retained placenta and was getting sick. I knew, but my doctor was surprised to really find something wrong. I was admitted to the hospital and had a D&C.

You're paying your doctor to take good care of you and your baby, so you need to be seen. Things are probably fine, but you cannot be too careful.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Closed Thread