It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

Noel1973 HB User
Gestational Diabetes????

SO I'm 24W5D, and I just found out I have gestational diabetes...glucose level is quite high. Anybody have any experience? I'm concerned about diet, since I've never monitored my caloric intake, or carbs, or protein, etc., and need to eat a bit to gain the necessary pregnancy weight. Ahh! Help??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User
Re: Gestational Diabetes????

Hi there. I have gestational diabetes. They should be sending you to see a dietician. I can tell you what I eat but they will give you a diet that suits you.....if you are already overweight they will have you eat less carbs than someone who is of average weight. One thing that is the same for everyone is NO SUGAR or anything with sugar in it. After seeing the dietician I have stuck to the meal plan she gave me and I've lost 13 lbs. My Dr. is fine with this as I am overweight already and from the U/S results the weight is coming off me and the baby is growing normally. I've been dealing with this now for 7 weeks so if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them!

River

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

Noel1973 HB User

Thanks Rivergirl...I will definitely have questions! I'm going to a class at the hospital today to learn about meal plans, etc. Wish me luck!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User

I have GD. My dietitian told me that I can have sugar, but rather to watch the carb intake. My allowance for carbs is monitored. I can have 45 grams of carbs for b'fast, 30 grams for snacks (1 after b'fast and 1 after lunch), and then 60 grams of carbs for lunch and dinner......I then take my blood sugar 2 hours later and it is supposed to stay below 120.

That is my experience with GD.

Did your dietitian tell you anything about watching carbs in addition to sugar? CONGRATS on the weight loss!!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

Candy_Girl HB User

This is my second pregnancy with GD. My first was controlled by diet alone. For this one, I've been on insulin for 2 weeks now (overnight dose only).

Sugar = carbs. 15 g = 1 carb serving. When your dietician prescribes a diet for you, you will have to decide how you want to use your allotted carb intake. For example, for a snack, if they allow you two carb servings (30g), you can choose to have an apple AND a banana or 1/2 c of ice cream. I don't know about you but 2 fruits is alot more filling than 1/2c of ice cream. So if I'm wanting a treat, I could go for the ice cream or if I'm hungry, I can go for the fruits. They will teach you all about the choices you have available to you.

I found the diet alot harder in my first pregnancy than with this one. I was overweight at the start of both pregnancies but got used to the carb counting with baby 1. I'm having no issues gaining weight with this pregnancy (12 lbs total and I'm 35 weeks now).

Exercise is also REALLY helpful. You don't have to do much and it will bring down your sugar significantly - a brisk 10 min walk, climb up and down the bottom stair 100 times, do 5-7 min of low, low impact aerobics (simple leg lifts, hamstring curls, etc).

Hope this helps! Good luck to you.

Candy

Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

Cruisemom......you can have sugar???? That is a big NO NO for me. My diet pretty much consists of low carbs and no sugar. And complex carbs are better. Whole grains, wheat, brown rice......those are complex carbs. Milk and fruit also count as carbs. I am only allowed milk with breakfast and dinner and fruit only at lunch and dinner. I was told you are prone to higher glucose levels in the morning so no fruit at breakfast. And no fruit for snacks. I test my blood sugar 4x a day. First thing in the morning, 2 hrs. after breakfast, 2 hrs. after lunch, 2 hrs. after dinner. I have 3 snacks and 3 meals. My dietician set up how many carbs to have for snacks and at meals. I could not controll my levels with diet and exercise so I'm on 2.5mg of glyburide 2x a day.

Good luck Noel!

River

Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
(female)

Noel1973 HB User

Wow...sounds like there's a lot of carb-counting, etc. I mean, how do you go to a restaurant and carb count an enchilada? I'm going to my diabetes class shortly, so I hope to find out more...especially since I don't eat meat, just some fish.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User

I was never told to watch how many grams of sugar I consume (but it does go hand in hand with the carbs usually). I was told that because the sugar breaks down quickly and the carbohydrates break down into sugar but it's a slower process....therefore it's keeping sugar in my system longer.

I have found that I can't have a banana, but I can have an apple. I can't have a yeast roll, but I can have a piece of bread. Potatoes are horrible for me with blood sugar, but rice doesn't affect me as much.

As for dining out......you do learn what your limits are. I also found it VERY hard with the first pregnancy, but now it's just second nature. When ordering pizza, I figured it out that Papa John's sauce is apparently sweeter than other places because it always affects me more than others.

How long after you eat do you have to take your bloodsugar? For me, I test 2 hours after a meal.

Oh yeah.....I had also heard that fasting numbers tend to be higher....have you heard of having a piece of cheese and a few crackers at bedtime the night before? Supposedly it helps lower your morning bloodsugar.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

Dining out......I had not eaten out for 5 weeks and then when I finally did I was so careful. Once you do the diet for awhile you will figure out what you can eat when dining out.

Here's what I'm following now....of course I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Upon waking....check ketones in urine (they've been elevated so I'm told to add 2 carbs a day now but that has put my levels up)
Check fasting blood sugar
Breakfast: 2 carbs, 1 protein
Snack: 1 carb, 1 protein
Lunch: 3 carbs, 2 protein, veggie
Snack: 2 carbs, 1 protein
Dinner: 4 carbs, 3 protein, 2 veggies
Snack: 2 carbs, 1 protein

I've been eating fat free sugar free pudding right before bed or 2 carb smart ice cream bars by Breyers. If you have a snack just before bed it will help with your fasting numbers.

Just remember everyone is different. And every dietician is different with what they want you to do also. I used to have a doughnut for breakfast and had ice cream as a snack at night......those things are out now! I have trouble with pizza and tacos. The tacos surprised me but it seems they affect my sugar emensly! I had a 145 reading last night with them and that's with taking my 2.5mg of glyburide! Sometimes it's so frustrating!

Hope you learn alot at your class Noel!

Cruisemom.....i test 2 hrs. after each meal also. My levels are to be under 120. Most are, dinner is my problem!

River

Last edited by rivergirl939; 06-22-2007 at 06:51 AM.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

CruiseMomInSC HB User

Wow - that's interesting how your diet is "different" than mine with guidelines, etc. You're going a great job though! CONGRATS!

It is hard to get used to it at first, isn't it?

Hang in there, Noel! It's hard at first - for me it even felt like a 'punishment' that all those pregnant women could give into their cravings, but I couldn't. It's not too bad after you get used to it.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
(female)

tmarsh HB User

It's weird how different foods effect you differently. I also was diagnosed with GD. I went to the dietician and she put me on a strict diet. I lost 3 lbs in the first week and she asked me was i starving myself. I'm like no, I'm eating but show me a person who cuts sugar out of their diet and won't lose weight.

My levels have been really good. I was taking my blood 4x a day and all my numbers were in the 80-90 range. Once I had a half of whole grain bagel with some butter (not even a tsp) and my number was like 135. Weird....But that was also my first day so I may have had some residual left over.

But then I had a sausage, egg & cheese on an english muffin w/hash brown, tested my blood 2 hours later and it was only 90. So, I've been eating that a lot for breakfast. I sometimes switch it up to have canadian bacon instead of sausage too. I swear I think i was misdiagnosed, but that's another story

So when I went back to my doc he said that I only have to take my blood in the morning (fasting) and randomly througout the day. My numbers have been really good. But, also, the thought of delivering a 10lb baby freaks me out!! HA!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

Wow, you are lucky! If I ate that for breakfast my numbers would be through the roof! I barely keep mine under 120 with 1/2 c. corn flakes and 1 c. milk!

River

Oh, Noel.....how did you make out with the dietician?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
(female)

Noel1973 HB User

Hi Rivergirl...Meeting with the dietician was great - we discussed how I can add fat to my diet since I'm a vegetarian, but Sunday I decided I'm going to eat meat, since cutting carbohydrates (also the only way I gain weight) and cutting protein voluntarily made me HUNGRY. I figured I can be hungry, but the baby cannot, and I can only take so many slabs of cheese! BUT, this has given me a new outlook and perspective on what I was eating...I've been a huge consumer of sugar since I was a kid, probably because I was scrawny, and not in that "chic" kind of way, just scrawny, so I ate anything that put on some pounds. The habit never went away.

My blood sugar levels have also been really good - maybe too good. I was hypoglycemic yesterday, so now I'm trying to find a good balance. I know that pizza dough and english muffins will send my blood sugar skyrocketing, but crackers and milk not so much. I really miss milk. And I really miss cupcakes. I meet with my Dr. tomorrow, and I hope she says I can test less often, even though I've missed a couple, since I've only gone over 120 twice in a week and a half of seven tests a day. Mostly in the 60-90 range, often in the 60s before noon.

Thanks again for everybody's help...this board is an amazing resource!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:00 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

Sounds like you are doing great Noel! I'm happy for you! I've entered my 3rd trimester now and my ketones are up in the morning.....moderate every day now. So I'm to eat more carbs. But, if I eat more carbs then my sugars are up. I'm anxious to go to the Dr. next Tues and see what they have to say. I think I'm going to have to increase my meds!

River

Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Hi,
I'm TTC but I often visit this Board to see what I have to "look forward to." One quick question. Does Diabetes run in your family? It runs in my father's side and I'm just curious if gestational may be a problem for me one day. Thanks.

Closed Thread