Hello there, We have just been given a chance of 1:15 that out baby has a problem. This follows a Nuchal translucency measurement of 3.4mm. We are now on tender hooks until 3 days when my poor wife has a test and then wait 7-10 days for results. I understand we are not alone with this, but the uncertatinty is torcher. Has any one else had similar measurements and odds? If so what was the out come? Thanks..
I am in a similar situation as well, though my baby has no fluid in the back of the neck. I was just given an ultrasound to look for downs markers and even though there were two very slight ones I'm still at risk. Unlike your wife I have had only the Quad Screen. I am 23 and my odds of my baby having downs syndrome is 2-4%. Which comes down to a 1/25 chance my child has downs. I believe that is the new number since she has two markers, one being the cord only has two valves and the other being that she is very small for my gestional period.
I understand so so much the pain you are going through. In the end my husband and I are alright with her having downs if that is what is to be, but we are so scared of other problems that can destroy her health.
Are you considering the amino?? We have refused but for the rest of my pregnancy I will be monitored. Please keep us updated I would like to know how everything turns out for you, your in my thoughts.
My wife is having a cvs test on Monday. They will take a sample of the placenta and test it over the next 7-10 days. This will give us a 100% yes or no answer. We have a 3 year old girl already and i can promise you it's worth every minute of your life. I hope all is well with you too. Fingers crossed for both of us. Take care and good luck.. P.S. your very brave my wife and I have discussed the various outcomes and are going to cross the bridge when we have to.
Let me know how that procedue goes. I refused that as well, but it wasn't even an option since I am too far ahead in my pregnancy for it. Personally I don't want to risk having a miscarriage just to find out, but I understand how you are feeling and I am totally supportive of your choice. It is such a scary situation. I too have another child, my son who is 5. The good news is he was really small for full term so that gives us a beam of hope that I just carry small babies and that she will be perfectly fine. I go back July 27 for her to be monitored again and hopefully she has grown.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and hopefully everything will turn out wonderful for both of us; lets just pray for healthy babies.
How did this all come to be for you? Was it just a routine ultrasound or is your wife already at high risk to begin with?
It was all totally out of the blue. Just the routine 12 week scan. They asked us if we wanted a test for downs and off we went.. We had non of these tests with our daughter. We were in Australia when my wife realised she was pregnant with her, we flew back to the UK via Tahiti and L.A. We had no problems at all with her, other than some sickness. The human body is a crazy thing. I will let you know what happens on Monday.. Have a good weekend.
I wish you well with your further exams. I didn't have the nuchal test done, but did have a positive screen for down syndrome. That result came back last Monday, and I have to wait until June 28th for the level 2 ultrasound. I agree that the waiting is the worst. So many things racing around in my head...again...we'll just all keep praying for healthy babies.
Brenda ~ Have they given you any odds or explained to you exactly what is going on?? I am in the same exact boat as you, and like you I went for the level 2 ultrasound. Only two very small markers which could happen in normal babies was found, but still I am at odds. My best advice for you is to do all the research you can and to prepare yourself. Most likely what will happen is they'll explain to you your results and give you stats, then they'll tell you about what downs is and the markers they'll be testing for. They'll do the ultrasound and probably have the doctor go over any markers they find. How my doctor explained everything to us was, that your chances increase by each marker found, and the amount they increase is determined by how bad the marker is. For example if they find something on the heart, brain or face then your chances shoot up but if there is something like what appears to be bowed toes then they just increase ever so slightly.
Honestly though I wouldn't have been half as calm if I didn't prepare myself before hand. But now my chances are somewhere along the lines of 1/25 chance the baby has downs. It seems really high but on the grand scale of things it is really 2-4% out of a 100. I wish you luck and let us know how it goes for you.
Hello again, went to have the cvs done today, again. They still couldn't get a good shot at getting a sample. We now have to wait two weeks for a amino test. This gives the same result, but there's a smaller risk of m/c. The only good news we had is that the fluid has gone down by a 1mm. This makes heart problems less likely apparently. Heads up and positive thinking..:
eeek...again, with the waiting! The upside, though, is less risk of m/c with amnio.
they did give me the odds; it was stated that there is a 96% chance there's nothing wrong, and approx 4% there is; then they broke that down to explain that for every 100 women my age, there are 96 babies born who are fine, etc etc. It doesn't change the fact that there is that small 4% chance that I'm the one with the DS baby. I've done enough research on this to write a term paper, and it's even more distressing. The doc and his nurse told me there is a high rate of false positive readings...from what I've seen, it's only 5% that the screen is wrong. I did see somewhere how to figure based on my 1:23 screen and that 5% false issue, to get the actual odds, but...I don't do math ;-) I was sent to a genetic counselor who explained how the chromosomal mistake happens, what the level 2 u/s will look for, and the m/c rates associated with amniocentesis. I feel the genetic counselor visit was a waste of my time (I have a degree in biology, so it wasn't a new and thought provoking experience for me), and I just sat there and cried, anyway. I want so badly for the dates of conception to be wrong. The first time I was at the doc after my pregnancy test, he said I was 14 weeks along already. I'd like to believe that it took me longer (after having stopped the pill) to get pregnant than 11 days. I understand it's possible, but c'mon?! so, all the time I've spent scouring the calendar for any chance that the dates are wrong are really in vain until Thursday and they actually look at the baby. This is so hard for me, I've never been a patient person, so this is taking everything I've got to just realize that what will be, will be and there's nothing to be done to change anything.
I'm ready to start looking at DS as "how do we raise this child?" where as my husband is not thinking that far ahead, and is much more willing to just wait and see. I wish I could be so pragmatic.
Brenda ~ if you really come to think of it, our odds are the same for DS just as they are for someone who had a normal screening. That is what gets me through my day. I mean there are cases where women give birth to children with DS and there was never any signs ahead of time, and the opposite is women carry all the signs of their baby having it, and the baby is born perfectly normal. But its not just DS, its basically saying that you have a good 96-98% chance your child is fine and the remainder is that there could be "something" wrong. My doctor flat out told me that based on everything, we won't know until the baby is born if she is or isn't. My screening results were weird, usually you need two high and two low to be considered "abnormal" but I was two normal and two low I believe and that is where they get the DS thing. Another thing it is only based on stats for our age. There is so much that can be taken into consideration. They also said to me normal babies can have the same exact markers just like a baby with DS. Like you I think they are off on my conception date. When I brought this up to my genetic counselar she looked kinda of distressed. I think alot has to do with the fact the doctors don't put basic info down and share it with the others. She claims that I fall into the right position but who knows.
Also like you I am also looking into raising a child with DS. Though I have been researching the subject even before I was even pregnant. My cousin's daughter has DS and she acts just like any normal 12yr old besides having a speech problem.
Tobby ~ I am sorry to hear about the procedure. But I am happy to know the fluid has decreased. Do they consider that a good sign??? Anyway good luck on the amino.
Toddy ~ I'm very happy for you and your wife. I hope now that both of you can enjoy the remainder of her pregnancy. As for myself, I am going back on the 27th to see if my baby has caught up on her growth. Though I won't truly know if my baby has problems or not until she is born, I feel at peace and have been enjoying my pregnancy without allowing the unknown to bring fear and stress into my life.
Just an up date. My wife gave birth Harriet on the 23rd November 07. She was 6 weeks early (4lbs) and spent 4 weeks in intensive care but came home for Christmas. She seems all OK and is just wonderful. I hope the rest of you all OK and things are going well... XXXX