It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LiseK HB User
Question Brown spotting at 12 weeks

I dont know if anyone else is having this or not or knows if its any reason to panic, I started having a brownish tint in my discharge last week and it stayed a light brown with darker brown spots from time to time but never got pink or red. Which means its old blood right? I've never had this in any of my other pregnancies so I'm totally freaked. The nurses at my doctors office said there's no reason to be alarmed but due to a past miscarriage in November of course im totally freaked out. On a bright note I have a fetal doppler heart monitor and the babys heart beat has stayed right between 160 and 168 every time I've checked it. Of course Im still worried. This first i thought was because my fiance and I had alot of sex over one weekend , after a day the spotting stopped but everytime I have a BM it comes back, no Im not mistaking something Im pooping for discharge. anyway, is this normal? Like I said the nurses at my doctors office made it seem like no big deal. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone else was having this problem or has had this problem and could shed a little light on it for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
(female)

stonebonner HB User
Re: Brown spotting at 12 weeks

With both my pregnancies I had brown spotting the first 12 weeks. Ask for an appt to see your doc if your really concerned. That is what he is there for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Numb_one HB User

Hi LiseK,

With my miscarriage in december i started with brown spotting, however i am not trying to alarm you, because alll could be fine with you & your baby!

With my current pregnancy at about 10 weeks i had like a brownish tinge to my discharge for about 1 or 2 days (only very, very slight & it started the day after sex also), but like you mentioned..... with a previous miscarriage it's hard not to be concerned! My OB's office told me that it is nothing to be concerned about also & that if it is brown that it is old blood, however i didn't want to just take the one opinion.... because i am not 100% convinced that brown means that everything is ok! I think any blood, no matter what colour should be seen to asap! SO anyhow, i called my GP also & he said from what i was describing (& i also told him that DH & i had had sex the night before it started), that it was probably just cervical mucous & that the blood was probably cervical aswell & that it was most probably caused by agravating the cervix during sex.

So i hope this has helped to put your mind at rest a little, however i do think you should go & get checked out just to be completely sure I personally think from my experience that if it is a tinge in your discharge it is probably just cervical (a result of possibly aggravating your cervix during sex) & not related to your baby, but it is best to be 100% sure isn't it.

Wishing you all the best & let us know how you go ok!

Crystal xoxoxox

Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User

Hi LiseK,

I too had some episodes with some very faint spotting. One time at about 8.5 weeks I could only attribute it to overdoing it. And another time was at 10.5 weeks after an internal exam with a culture. I've had other episodes after that where I thought I was seeing discharge, but I'm beginning to think it was mistaking something else for discharge (not to be too gross). Mine always seemed to appear after a BM. Although I'm starting to believe my latest episodes were not pregnancy related, I have read online that anything from sex to BM with straining to even walking too much can irritate the cervix. I would say that since you heard the heartbeat and it sounds to be strong, I wouldn't be as concerned. Had you not heard the heartbeat, I would have recommended going to the doctor so they could find the heartbeat for you. Sometimes brown blood can be an indication of something wrong, but at 12 weeks and with the detection of a strong fetal heartbeat, it sounds pretty optimistic to me. I would keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or doesn't clear up, then I would head on over to the doctor for an ultrasound.

Take care and let us know how it goes!

Closed Thread