It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

bondgrll HB User
anyone have anxiety/panic while pregnant?

i had postpartum anxiety after my 3rd child was born.....was treated with prozac/xanax for 7 months and all has been better for 3 years. all of a sudden today i felt anxious/panicky and sick like i was going to throw up! i thought being pregnant (i am 12 weeks along) protected you from all that and i wasn't (aren"t) prepared to deal with this. can anyone relate? dr. said xanax now after first trimester is ok in moderation....but go figure it makes me anxious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User
Re: anyone have anxiety/panic while pregnant?

Hi bondgrll-

I have always had generalized anxiety. However, since being pregnant my anxiety has been through the roof. I worry about everything...about if my baby is healthy, if I'm supposed to be showing, if I should be feeling the baby, how I'm going to be able to afford day care, etc. I rented a doppler for use at home and it has helped me get from one doctor visit to the next. But I'm addicted to it...for the last week or two I have been listening everyday. And I know there is no evidence that it can cause harm, I just wish I could use the doppler once a week or so. But my anxiety just takes over. I too thought pregnancy was supposed to help with anxiety but I just can't logically think of how. I mean hormones are rushing through our bodies like never before and we have very precious cargo. I would think even the most stable minded person would have some anxiety during pregnancy. My doctor didn't want to give me anything for anxiety when I asked her about it, but that was about 12 weeks so maybe because it was still so early...But I don't think your doctor would give you something that would be unsafe. I really don't have much advice because I have yet to take anything during my pregnancy. But I just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one. The only other advice I can give you is to try to take some time for yourself...read, watch a movie, go for a walk, go shopping, whatever you like doing. I often feel better when I do something like that and so my anxiety gets pushed aside. It's when I'm bored that it starts taking center stage.

take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I think for some women, anxiety can get better during pregnancy while others still have it (or it can get even worse). So far, I'm lucky to be in the group where anxiety has gotten better as I haven't had a panic attack since March (I'm 16 weeks). I also am exercising regularly throughout this pregnancy, and I think that helps with my anxiety (I was lucky not to have morning sickness in the first trimester, just fatigue).

Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

alpdance HB User

I also experienced postpartum anxiety after my second child was born. I've always had generalized anxiety, but it got much worse after my son was born and I also took medication which helped a lot. I went off the meds to get pregnant again and, like you, my anxiety worsened for about the first 14 weeks or so, then began to get better. I think for the entire second trimester I was feeling much better anxiety-wise. So, there may be a chance that your anxiety may lessen as well in a couple of weeks. I really hope that happens for you as I know what it is like dealing with anxiety/panic especially while taking care of your children. I am now 28 weeks, just starting the third trimester and I feel like my anxiety is creeping up on me again...it makes sense to me since the hormone levels in the third trimester are similar to those in the first trimester that this would happen. I also was given the green light for the occasional xanax after 12 weeks and I did take it just once when I was having an attack and I really needed to sleep. I worried about taking it too, but the doctor was very thorough in her explanation of why it was considered safe. I understand your fear of taking meds during pregnancy, but if it can help you get through a rough day or get a good night's sleep, you may feel less anxious about it afterward. Good luck to you.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

junemommy17 HB User

I have been diagnosed with GAD and OCD. Prozac works wonders for me. I didn't take Prozac during my 1st pregnancy and I'm not taking it with my 2nd. I'm currently 7 weeks. I have felt OK up to this point. I know I worry about things more than the average person but I've been doing that my whole life. My OB is very supportive and understands my situation. She said I can talk to her about any of my concerns and that makes me feel better.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
(female)

bondgrll HB User

good to know all that....the psychiatrist that first diagnosed the post-partum disorder recommended to start taking prozac in smaller doses and i think i will do that. i was just really surprised to have that creep up on me. i guess i was silly in thinking i had "conquered" that problem back years ago...the power of hormones i suppose. i am glad to know the "enemy" this time around. way back when i thought i was just losing my mind as i had never experienced anxiety or panic issues....just knowing what i am dealing with helps too. and again it's nice to know i am not alone.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

Gwenne HB User

I know how you feel - my anxiety hasn't subsided with this pregnancy (4). I take klonopin, 1-2mg to get through. It is a level D drug but my psychiatrist & I agree it is a rarity to cause problems and a necessary step for me. And, like you - I am NERVOUS about it but I work on letting my doubts go and concentrate on a beautiful new child.

Hugs to you!

Closed Thread